FIA WEC Spa BoP

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Prestige is not speed...it's winning. Peugeot got zero "prestige" for trimming out for the race (in whatever year it was...I'll find it)
to "achieve" highest top speed on the Mulsanne when the new they had no chance for victory.

Does anyone really think that GTE will win overall (let alone 1-2-3)...? Again I've got a bridge to sell ya... :wink

Hey bud - try not to be so combative. I'm quite sure Tim wasn't insinuating the GT would go 1-2-3 overall.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Prestige is not speed...it's winning. Peugeot got zero "prestige" for trimming out for the race (in whatever year it was...I'll find it)
to "achieve" highest top speed on the Mulsanne when the new they had no chance for victory.

Does anyone really think that GTE will win overall (let alone 1-2-3)...? Again I've got a bridge to sell ya... :wink

Am I the only one that thinks you should change your screen name to Mr. Negative?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
They need to dial-in a little more rear diffuser clearance, remember the causes of Daytona's blown tyres? G-forces at the big long sweeper at Spa where the crash happened could have created contact?

There is a WEC regulation for car clearance, where a wood block is under each car, and cannot be scraped by any forces. Each car is tested for this regulation and cannot race until this is met. I would assume this would prevent any diffuser clearance issues.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They need to dial-in a little more rear diffuser clearance, remember the causes of Daytona's blown tyres? G-forces at the big long sweeper at Spa where the crash happened could have created contact?

Could be, but I'd be surprised based on the fact the other car avoided the same issue.

There was an awful lot of carnage in that race. Multiple cars with blown tires chewing up carbon panels as they went around leaving CF needles all over the place. If it indeed was a blown tire, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just from picking some of that stuff up.

Some of the drivers do well to get back to the garage at a speed low enough that they aren't just flinging bodywork everywhere. Other guys apparently adhere to the "let's see if I can whip the wing off" school of thought. Drives me crazy.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...There was an awful lot of carnage in that race. Multiple cars with blown tires chewing up carbon panels as they went around leaving CF needles all over the place. If it indeed was a blown tire, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just from picking some of that stuff up....

:agree:

Very likely cause, and happened to others in the race. They just did not fail at Eau Rouge...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There is a WEC regulation for car clearance, where a wood block is under each car, and cannot be scraped by any forces. Each car is tested for this regulation and cannot race until this is met. I would assume this would prevent any diffuser clearance issues.

I assume he means clearance between the tire and diffuser. They are extremely close together on the inside of the tires.

26531804190_8a3478505c_b.jpg

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Whatever the reason I was left shell shocked for a minute or so before I realized all were okay.

Vince H

J

jimclark

Hey bud - try not to be so combative. I'm quite sure Tim wasn't insinuating the GT would go 1-2-3 overall.

No combat at all. ford's '66 was overall and 1-2-3. What'd i miss? Whatever. I'm a realist . No mas.

J

jimclark

Am I the only one that thinks you should change your screen name to Mr. Negative?

Negative. I've heard it before. Again, just a realist. Again, no mas.

Last edited:

Raj Nair

Ford GT Team Alumni
Mar 10, 2015
The accident at the WEC race at Spa involving the #66 Ford GT was caused by a cut to the left rear tire (likely due to debris), which then failed at Eau Rouge/Raidillon. We are very pleased that the Ford GT performed as designed in protecting the driver resulting in only very minor injuries to Stefan Mücke. We will be ready to race at Le Mans. Thanks to those of you who've been so supportive of our efforts.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
The accident at the WEC race at Spa involving the #66 Ford GT was caused by a cut to the left rear tire (likely due to debris), which then failed at Eau Rouge/Raidillon. We are very pleased that the Ford GT performed as designed in protecting the driver resulting in only very minor injuries to Stefan Mücke. We will be ready to race at Le Mans. Thanks to those of you who've been so supportive of our efforts.

Great news... glad the driver was not injured and the car did it's job and protected him... Can't wait to travel to Le Mans! Go Ford WIN LE MANS!!!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Well there you have it from "the man" himself. Wish I was getting on the plane for Paris tomorrow. Can't hardly wait! Go Blue!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Thanks for the update Raj. Glad to hear from the top brass that Stefan's injuries were minor. We are very excited about Le Mans!! See you there

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Very very cool. Thanks Raj for the update!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I know what the restrictions are on a driver after the accident, but will he be able to resume racing for LeMans? Is there a backup driver?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Thanks for the update Raj. Glad to hear from the top brass that Stefan's injuries were minor. We are very excited about Le Mans!! See you there

+1

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks for the info. !!. Looking forward to seeing you and all the cars at Le Mans !!

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
Yes, he will be fine to race at Le Mans. He escaped the crash with only a small cut on his leg.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Can't wait to make the trip to Le Mans... countdown has begun...