FGT vs Carrera GT or A Winter Day In California

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It was sunny but cool yesterday, I don't think it even reached 60, so we decided to drive our GTs (Black Ice & me) with Mousecatcher & his Carrera GT. Fun comparison. Both our GTs have Whipples so the power isn't comparable but the Porsche was fun to drive. Very stiff, grabby clutch - even when warm - hard to get in & out of the car & various engine, clutch & gear noises. Quality of everything is excellent. Really quiet exhaust but the absolute best thing is the exhaust sound at high revs - just like an F1 car. Better than the Enzo. Steering & brakes almost as nice as the FGT.

The Carrera GT is a very cool car but when we took a break near the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz (the photo below) the FGT definitely was the crowd favorite. We looked for Woboose to see if he was surfing the Mavericks but we didn't find him. I dislike the Left Coast but the weather isn't too bad!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 793

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Ed - certainly envy you. Sunny here too...but 10 degrees and 40 mph winds.
I checked my GT in the garage to make sure it was still warm.
andy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ed...
whats the word on the black and white behind your ride?
hopefully just slowing down to admire the machinery?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ed...
whats the word on the black and white behind your ride?
hopefully just slowing down to admire the machinery?

As you can see he called for backup too!

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
Both our GTs have Whipples so the power isn't comparable but the Porsche was fun to drive.

I agree. A stock CGT is 130mph+ in the quarter. Not slow.

Steering & brakes almost as nice as the FGT.

I totally disagree. To me the CGT is well above the FGT in these areas.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Great pic. Nice to see the GT socializes so well with the Germans.

Just got back from a little GT run. Sunny, low 60's and absolutely beautiful. Days like today are why I moved to Cali in the first place. Although I did drive through some snow in Tehachapi last week coming back from Vegas.....fortunately not in the GT.

Bill M

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2007
Trackmeister I agree the Carrera Gt is much better than the Ford Gt I have both

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I didn't push anywhere near the limits of the car, but the brakes are different, the FGT brakes feel real mushy compared to the CGT. The CGT is solid but takes more pressure than the FGT to slow, at least at street legals speed. Brake feeling can be much different when warn and at higher speeds. The interior is real nice, puts most cars to shame and the engine bay's CF would get Bony exited.

Attachments

• CGT engine.jpg
    CGT engine.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 747
  • CGT engine 2.jpg
    CGT engine 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 747

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Uuuuuuuh, where's the engine in those pics? Shouldn't there be an ENGINE in there someplace? :lol

Bill M

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2007
That's true the Porsche brakes just get better and better on the track. Last year I had the chance too run the cars back to back at Roebling Road.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Uuuuuuuh, where's the engine in those pics? Shouldn't there be an ENGINE in there someplace? :lol

You don't even need a engine if you never start the car! :lol

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I've only driven a CGT very briefly, but I'd say this:

The Ford GT is the car you've always dreamed of.

But the Carrera GT is so amazing you never would have even thought to dream it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I've only driven a CGT very briefly, but I'd say this:

The Ford GT is the car you've always dreamed of.

But the Carrera GT is so amazing you never would have even thought to dream it.

One of my dreams came true when I bought my FGT. I never thought I drive a CGT, but I now have and it is another dream how true. Who said Christmas is on the 25th. An for those in other areas where else can you drive a FGT, F430 and CGT in December? I guess CA has some merits.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
where's the engine?

Where's the beef? American cars are about the engine & the FGT definitely showcases the engine. Not only in performance but visually also. The Italian & German cars like to hide the engines under covers, airboxes, intact systems, etc.

As far as brakes go, yes it is a personal opinion. I didn't get to drive the Carrera GT or F430 on the track but I love the solid feel & performance of my FGT brakes. They are firm, amazing stop power & low fade on the track. They perform extremely well cold or hot. I have driven many cars on the road & track & my FGT with the stock pads, SVT rotors & fresh fluid are number 1. All FGT's brakes have this potential.

Steering feel & performance can be subjective. Flicking the FGT around the twisty roads at all speeds is heaven. For me, the steering can't be beat.

I may be prejudiced by the fact that the FGT is the best.

Ed

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The Ford GT has a great face and body...

Cars like the Carerra and R8 with great interior finish... is like a girl who has great teeth inside her mouth...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The Ford GT has a great face and body...

Cars like the Carerra and R8 with great interior finish... is like a girl who has great teeth inside her mouth...

The FGT also has a great robust heart.

As far as teeth, that should matter a lot for those dentist on the board and those whose girlfriends, or wife most often have their mouths open.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
As far as brakes go, yes it is a personal opinion. I didn't get to drive the Carrera GT or F430 on the track but I love the solid feel & performance of my FGT brakes. They are firm, amazing stop power & low fade on the track. They perform extremely well cold or hot. I have driven many cars on the road & track & my FGT with the stock pads, SVT rotors & fresh fluid are number 1. All FGT's brakes have this potential.
Ed

I find the performance of the FGT brake great as far as stopping power. However I find the pedal firmness lacking. That is as you progressively apply more and more pressure the pedal height sinks lower and lower. I bleed my brakes and it improved somewhat, but is no where is stiff as the CGT I drove. I find this "soft" pedal a common characteristic of many cars with ABS systems. My guess is that the addition plumbing and ABS controller increases the mushiness of the brake pedal.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
That's true the Porsche brakes just get better and better on the track. Last year I had the chance too run the cars back to back at Roebling Road.

Bill - what were your lap times? I ran with Bobby Rahal at Roebling Road the day he got his CGT - I was in my 914-6 (311 rwhp - 2,100 lbs) and pretty much stayed with him. I think he was soft pedaling however.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Well, you have around another $260K delta to spend on the GT if you find anything lacking in comparison to the CGT.

This comparison appears to be fairly black and white - http://videos.streetfire.net/video/SuperCars-Exposed-200-MPH_161249.htm

Bill M

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2007
We did not time the laps. The laps that we timed where with my race cars.(1:09's to 1:11's) I tell all my car friends that the Ford GT is the best buy for the money, I told a friend to buy the GT and not the Carrera he would like it better.

Attachments

• b16- b-62.jpg
    b16- b-62.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 376
Last edited: