FGT vs Carrera GT or A Winter Day In California

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Remembering Can-Am

From the 12-22-08 AutoWeek, Page 32:

"Fastest Porsche Ever > The 917/30 TC, which was built for the Can-Am series, featured a turbocharged, 5.4-liter, eight-cylinder boxer engine that produced a claimed 1,100 hp at 7,800 rpm. However, many engineers involved in the car's development said that the real figure was somewhere closer to 1,300 hp. Either way, it worked. In 1975, Mark Donohue hit a top speed of 257 mph at Talledega in the 1,863-pound race car. The car's standing start acceleration was just as ferocious: 0 to 60 in 2.1 seconds, 0 to 100 in 3.9 seconds and 0 to 200 in 13.4 seconds."

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Mousecatcher - thanks for letting me sample your Ferrari & Porsche. What next? Your new Lotus Exige GT3? Think we can get away with driving it to Alice's?

no way ... too many cops there! besides, it's too low to the ground, it wouldn't even make it out of the driveway!

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
The PGT is tough to rev and heel/toe as the engine drops in revs so quickly. The PGT steering wheel is way too big.

Now that I have listed the faults, that is about all I could complain about, the car is an engineering marvel that is very high quality craftsmanship.

Agreed on all points!

Except I wouldn't call the fast revving a fault, you just need a more racecar-like technique to heel/toe it. Unlike a "normal" car, where you can wait until you hear the blip and can judge if it is ok or do you need to blip again, the CGT is too fast so you just have to blip & go (instead of heel and toe?) ;)

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Mousecatcher,
In thinking it over I concur on the quick rev, I did get the hang of it by day 2 on the track. It just seemed the FGT was a much easier car to drive intuitively, of course the fact that the PGTcost $500K and was not mine might also have had something to do with it :).
Derry

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
^ FGT is definitely easier to drive. Unless you have 900HP gears and open exhaust! (*cough* Ed *cough*)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
American Hot Rod

Mousecatcher - The FGT is a high hp V8 hot rod wrapped in a road racing chassis with timeless styling. True blue USA & made in Detroit like God intended!

Ed

Thanks again for letting me try out a few of your cars. I felt like a magazine tester!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Made In Detroit

Made in Detroit as God intended!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 220

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:rofl:rofl:rofl :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Made in Detroit as God intended!

Ed

Actually in Wixom and Troy. Detroit is where GM's headquarter is located, Ford is based out of Dearborn. You need to get the corrected stickers made. :cheers

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Wixom&state=MI

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Made in Troy?

Just doesn't have the same ring as "Made in Detriot". Made in Wixom? Nah. The phrase is actually to bring attention to the fact that the FGT is one supercar not made in Maranello or Stuttgart.

Ed

PS DBK & the Michigan gang will tell you that Troy & Wixom are in the Metro Detroit area so the phrase "Made in Detroit" is actually accurate.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
"Made in the legendary city of Troy"

Kind of has a nice ring to it.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Just doesn't have the same ring as "Made in Detriot".

Yeah, I like that best, and it's instantly recognizable.

:thumbsup

merry christmas!

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
The CGT is tied for first (along with the FGT) as my favorite car of all time. Exterior design, the power, the rev's, the technology, materials. Nothing else like it. The closest I've ever been was sitting in one at the Porsche museum.
The price has and perhaps may always keep it out of my reach. Bummer.

CGT is my second favorite car of this decade. Best sounding stock car ever, though too quiet.

porschedubai

GT Owner
Nov 19, 2008
Dubai, UAE
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and love it. Having bought my Ford GT 2005 red/white stripes 2 months ago, I have learned so much from this site about the car and about all of you.
I can contribute to this post since I have a Carrera GT 2005 as well as the Ford GT.
I truely enjoy ownership of the Ford more. Not a day goes by that I don't jump in it and drive.
Luckily here in Dubai the weather is awesome.
Just put the FRPP Performance Muffler Kit yesterday. Love it. But needs more sound. Ordered the Long tube headers last night. Will put it on with the Power upgrade option in a few weeks when I get it.
The driveablity is already superb, and the power delivery is so smooth yet brilliantly exciting. What a Car !!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Welcome Dubai. We have other members there as well.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Thank you for your thoughts Karim! Welcome!!!

porschedubai

GT Owner
Nov 19, 2008
Dubai, UAE
Thanks fjpikul & Gulf GT,
Could you tell me how to get in touch with the other members in Dubai or in the Gulf?
If any of you plan to visit here, let me know and i'll do my best to help you.

PS: I have bought an extra set of rims - the car had the stock rims, so I bought option rims since I think they look better. Will use the stock rims for the track (Dubai Autodrome) where I Instruct for Porsche at Porsche Club track days (I am the President of Porsche Club, UAE with over 2000 members). Will buy some Hoosier P6 just for fun on open track days.

Anything else you recommend I buy?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Since the forged rims are lighter (by 7 lbs per wheel if I remember right), you may want to keep them for the track and use the stock rims for daily driving. Hoosier tires should probably be your next purchase for track running. Do a search and you'll find much info regarding this.

The moderator may have more info on the owners in the Gulf. They only post here rarely. You might look in the GT Registry.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Thanks fjpikul & Gulf GT,
Could you tell me how to get in touch with the other members in Dubai or in the Gulf?
If any of you plan to visit here, let me know and i'll do my best to help you.

PS: I have bought an extra set of rims - the car had the stock rims, so I bought option rims since I think they look better. Will use the stock rims for the track (Dubai Autodrome) where I Instruct for Porsche at Porsche Club track days (I am the President of Porsche Club, UAE with over 2000 members). Will buy some Hoosier P6 just for fun on open track days.

Anything else you recommend I buy?

Welcome and have a ball with the car. Here is a link to a member who posted some great pics of his car taken in Dubai. http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13006

Don't know if he is still there or back in Canada, but you could try to send him a PM. :cheers

H

HHGT

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and love it. Having bought my Ford GT 2005 red/white stripes 2 months ago, I have learned so much from this site about the car and about all of you.
I can contribute to this post since I have a Carrera GT 2005 as well as the Ford GT.
I truely enjoy ownership of the Ford more. Not a day goes by that I don't jump in it and drive.
Luckily here in Dubai the weather is awesome.
Just put the FRPP Performance Muffler Kit yesterday. Love it. But needs more sound. Ordered the Long tube headers last night. Will put it on with the Power upgrade option in a few weeks when I get it.
The driveablity is already superb, and the power delivery is so smooth yet brilliantly exciting. What a Car !!!

I have a friend that resides and owns car dealerships in the UAE and in California, including FORD. I know he helps out another GT owner in the UAE. If you need any help or an intro, PM me. Congrats and good luck.