Ferrari Cutting Jobs, Idling Plants

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Ferrari Cutting Jobs, Idling Plants

Italian automaker lowers production forecast for 2010; engine orders from Maserati lagging.
SPEED Staff | Posted May 12, 2010 Maranello (IT)

Even Ferrari is feeling the pinch. The acclaimed Italian automaker announced this week that it would temporarily halt production and lay off nine percent of its workforce, Bloomberg news service reports.

The Fiat-owned supercar builder plans to close a factory in Maranello, Italy, for a week starting May 17, idling 600 workers. Ferrari also wants to permanently cut 120 office workers and 150 factory jobs.

Angry union workers walked off the job for four hours on Tuesday when Ferrari made the announcement of the pending job losses as it reduces production targets for 2010.

The temporary factory closure comes because automaker Maserati, also a Fiat brand, has sharply reduced orders for the Ferrari engines that power its high-end automobiles, Bloomberg said in its report. Ferrari built about 4,500 engines for Maserati during 2009, about half what it produced in 2008.

Ferrari said it has lowered its production target for 2010 to 11,000 from the earlier target of 20,000. Ferrari sold 6,294 cars last year.

Ferrari's first-quarter trading profit declined 28 percent this year compared with the first quarter of 2009, the company said April 21. Sustaining the company have been sales of the new 458 Italia, which is priced at about $250,000.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Could the old adage of 'Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday' still be true?

Quite possibly the Matech wins are having an effect.:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Could the old adage of 'Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday' still be true?

Quite possibly the Matech wins are having an effect.:thumbsup

Not to mention a certain 267 mph standing mile record run! :lol :cheers

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Angry union workers walked off the job for four hours on Tuesday when Ferrari made the announcement of the pending job losses as it reduces production targets for 2010.

A good place to start looking for the 9% that need to be culled. :bored

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Who would buy a Maserati when the fugly-but-prestigious-and-fast Panamera and the totally gorgeous Aston Rapide are now available?

I'm sure the Ferrari brand is doing fine, but I'm won't be surprised if the "new" Maser doesn't survive long-term.........

H

HHGT

I guess Greece is no longer buying Ferraris, leading to a drop in sales.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
They say History repeats... I wonder as Le Mans approaches - if Ferrari has contacted Ford regarding selling :biggrin

H

HHGT

They say History repeats... I wonder as Le Mans approaches - if Ferrari has contacted Ford regarding selling :biggrin

Somehow I just don't see a Ford/Fiat merger.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The more sports car makers in the world, the better. Hopefully nobody will applaud Ferrari having problems - they will, of course, survive, as they have since 1929.

I worry in this 'mummy knows better' society that exists in Europe, that one day we'll all be driving around in characterless, silent electric boxes... Long live Ford, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Aston etc! :cheers

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Somehow I just don't see a Ford/Fiat merger.

Since you guys have posted, the thunder and lightening around here (Detroit) hasn't let up. The answer is .......NO.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Step it up.

Ferrari said it has lowered its production target for 2010 to 11,000 from the earlier target of 20,000. Ferrari sold 6,294 cars last year.

Good grief. Ferrari sold 6294 cars last year and their target was 20,000 for 2010?!? Even after a 45% downward adjustment in their "revised" target of 11,000 it still requires a 75% jump in sales this year. :ack

Might as well aim high 'eh.

Chip

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Good grief. Ferrari sold 6294 cars last year and their target was 20,000 for 2010?!? Even after a 45% downward adjustment in their "revised" target of 11,000 it still requires a 75% jump in sales this year. :ack

Might as well aim high 'eh.

Chip

I assume you've heard of the infamous "stretch objectives"?? Numbers with absolutely no foundation. Reminds me of a former employer. :bs

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I have to agree with Nielda about not seeing too hard times come upon sport car companies. I have always had a passion for sports cars and especially appreciate the engineering, form and function of the great ones. It makes me particularly sick when I think about it opening up things like the "government intervention" scam with GM.
I am True Blue Ford and news like this makes me appreciate the timing and accomplishment of Ford pulling off the GT even more.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I assume you've heard of the infamous "stretch objectives"?? Numbers with absolutely no foundation. Reminds me of a former employer. :bs

We used to call those 'Dolly Parton numbers'. i.e. infeasibly large with no visible means of support.

H

HHGT

We used to call those 'Dolly Parton numbers'. i.e. infeasibly large with no visible means of support.

Do you know how to tell Dolly Parton's kids from the rest of the kids at their school? They all have stretch marks on their lips...:willy:willy:willy

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
.....and neatly back to stretch objectives.

Nice work.

:cheers

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Who would buy a Maserati when the fugly-but-prestigious-and-fast Panamera and the totally gorgeous Aston Rapide are now available?

I'm sure the Ferrari brand is doing fine, but I'm won't be surprised if the "new" Maser doesn't survive long-term.........

Maserati is just Ferraris excuse. The Quattroporte and the new GT are quite nice

The real problem is the Fugly 612 and the idiotic Ferrari Celica, I mean California. 2 Major bombs

The 599 is ok but the 550/575 was MUCH better looking

The 430 Scud/16M are the only modern F's I would purchase

Just saw the 458, its ok but I'll keep my F40 with its crappy interior, bulldozer ride, and sruffy seats

Not to mention a certain 267 mph standing mile record run! :lol :cheers

Sadlly the vast majority of F buyers today dont care about high performance, history, records, etc

Most just want some nice driveway jewelry or to keep up w the Jones'es :thumbsdow

California's make me ILL. Cant wait to drive up next to 1 in my F40 :lol

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Hubbster....Can you tell us how you really feel? :biggrin

Actually, I haven't been in love with a Ferrari since the 512BB so I can understand how you feel.

:usa

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Actually, I haven't been in love with a Ferrari since the 512BB
:usa

I feel the same way - as far as Ferrari's go, I go back a little farther: 1958 & 1959 250 Testa Rossa :thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I agree with Ralphie. My favorites are a 1960 SWB 250 California special and a 1973 365GTB/4 Daytona spyder. And of course the 512BB.:thumbsup