Driver door hanging low?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
12000 miles. No body work. Sounds like the same problem as your door. I just lift a little as I close the door to keep from rubbing on the top right corner of door frame (receiving) as I close it.

ok sounds like the same thing, Im going to tell you something and you might think Im crazy, ....... when I said I gently lift on the door I didnt mean I lift a bit to clear then close the door, I meant I lift with enough force (gently) to actually bend the metal where the hinges are connected to, this seems to solve the problem for about two to three weeks then it slowly come down again,

Disclaimer, Im not telling to bend your door, just telling what I did!!!!!!

Aug 25, 2006
When adjusting the door, is the only adjustment up/down, left/right or can the hinge actually be tipped to correct my problem
I will look closer at the hinge assembly when I tinker w/her this weekend.(gunna change the oil):thumbsup
Thank you for all the feed back.

You can adjust the up and down; meaning with the A pillar hinge point to bring the door up or down at the front and rear and also move the door front to back and then on the door itself you can also make similar adustments and also adjust the rotation or better put you can roll the door so the manner in which the door goes across the body and then aligns with the stabbers at the top of the door is set properly.

As Rich aka The GT Guys shared these doors are a bit of an art form when it come to adjusting them because the the extreme over hang as such the doors do not simply open and close.

Takes care

Shadowman

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I have found that the door to hinge connection is very weak and in addition the door strap is too long and lets the door swing open too far, strain the hinge to door connection and then one has to gently "lift" the door to get it to close properly. One obvious sign of this is if the door is "in" slightly to the fender line, and a slight gap where the hinge is bolted against the door. This problem can be corrected by bending the hinge back against the door, eliminating the gap and reestablishing the door to fender line and the dragging of the door.

SRG.GT

work hard--play hard
Mar 12, 2009
Hudson, Wi.
I just shimmed the lower hinge connection to the door with stainless washers between the door and the hinge assembly. After a few adjustments, she closes great and lines up as she is supposed to.:banana

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just shimmed the lower hinge connection to the door with stainless washers between the door and the hinge assembly. After a few adjustments, she closes great and lines up as she is supposed to.:banana

Great! Well done! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
A while back I noticed a small - 1/4 inch dia. - spot on the interior door jam at the top outer most edge. It was due to the door having dropped slightly and it had just started making contact.

My local dealer adjusted the door but just to be sure I covered the area with a small 1/2 inch circle made from the fuzzy side of velcro.

When the door was closed you could not tell it was out of adjustment as the it wass pulled up into the bolt when closed.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
My drivers door was dropping the same way. The dealer replaced the upper and lower drivers hinge. I haven't had a problem since the replacement.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
I have the same issue. I believe there are more of us with this little issue than we realized.

Aug 25, 2006
I would suggest that long before the excitement level rises that those with a concern have the door adjusted by a person that knows how; they adjust in many directions.

Lastly; the doors are long however not very heavy and the over hang can create a great place to rest your arms while open and chatting; this IMO equals a bad idea.

All the best

Shadowman

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
My dealer delivered my car to me in an enclosed trailer. The door couldn't be opened inside the trailer because of tight clearances. To get in he had to climb through the driver's open window. He said that he got the idea from the company that delivered the car from Ford to them. Their driver had to climb in and out through the open window to get in and out of the car in an enclosed trailer. My door needs just a little extra effort to fully close. No crashes no body work. 3000 miles I suspect this is the cause of all the problems. Bob