Do original oem tires become unsafe after a number of years?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hoosier's are fun too! ;)

+1 on the above. For dry weather driving, I don't know anybody who finally tried the Hoosier's and weren't blown away by how much more grip they have. When it's cold outside, the OEM Goodyears are dangerous in year one.

Chip

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Tires at any price are <1% of the car's value. Use the one's that appeal to you , just keep'em healthy and reasonably fresh. Oh, and don't forget to vote.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
So Art, no problem fitting the "Rears: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza Scuderia 345/35R19" underneath the car? Does the tire stick out past the top of rear fender/quarter panel since it is 30 mms wider than oem? Does anyone have a picture of these tires installed on their GT. Sorry for all the questions I just bought my GT in May and I am trying to catch up.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
No trouble at all. They are not 30 mm wider than the oem. The sizes are nominal not actual dimensions.

Here are some pics of my car with the Bridgestones installed:

Small 22.jpg
Small 01.jpg
Small 14.jpg

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
So Art, no problem fitting the "Rears: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza Scuderia 345/35R19" underneath the car? Does the tire stick out past the top of rear fender/quarter panel since it is 30 mms wider than oem? Does anyone have a picture of these tires installed on their GT. Sorry for all the questions I just bought my GT in May and I am trying to catch up.

As JCTHorne commented, to the casual observer you will not be able to tell the difference. I still have the orginals on their rims; before I mounted the others I compared and could not visually tell the difference.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
First thing I did when I bought mine from Shelby was have him replace the 5 year old Goodyears. They were in great shape but 5 years is my limit.

I don't know how bad the Goodyears were as I never drove on them but I do like the Bridgestones. The rears are a bit wider and everyone seems to like how they look.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
First thing I did when I bought mine from Shelby was have him replace the 5 year old Goodyears. They were in great shape but 5 years is my limit.

I don't know how bad the Goodyears were as I never drove on them but I do like the Bridgestones. The rears are a bit wider and everyone seems to like how they look.

Same for me but the reason was I want to track it a little and didn't trust the hard as a hocky puck tires.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Is there any need to recalibrate the speedo with the Bridgestones. Does anyone have any info on the Pirelli P Zero Corsa System tires - besides the fact they are $1034 each. I found them on Tire Rack while looking for the Bridgestones.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The Bridgestones are almost the same diameter as the Goodyears, so speedo accuracy is not affected by more than a few percent.

Last edited:

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Can someone just quickly spec what I need to get? That other thread makes my head spin. I'm interested in the Bridgestones. I have the non-BBS wheels on my car.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Can someone just quickly spec what I need to get? That other thread makes my head spin. I'm interested in the Bridgestones. I have the non-BBS wheels on my car.

See post #16. What do you mean non-BBS? All OEM wheels are BBS. Standard cast. Optional forged. Same size.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Time for me to switch also any idea on best place to purchase?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Bridgestone Potenza
Front
RE050A 265/40ZR18 (101Y)
Rear
RE050A Scuderia 345/35ZR19 (110Y)

You can order from Tire Rack, also Discount Tire, if you have one locally will usually match Tire Rack's price including sales tax. They have good mounting and balancing equip.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Bridgestone Potenza
Front
RE050A 265/40ZR18 (101Y)
Rear
RE050A Scuderia 345/35ZR19 (110Y)

You can order from Tire Rack, also Discount Tire, if you have one locally will usually match Tire Rack's price including sales tax. They have good mounting and balancing equip.

To match tread patterns , you want the Porsche N1 vs the N3(I think) for the front set... (These are used as Porsche rears..) As was posted earlier by Art138.

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
This has become a nice reference thread. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.:thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
No trouble at all. They are not 30 mm wider than the oem. The sizes are nominal not actual dimensions.

Here are some pics of my car with the Bridgestones installed:

View attachment 26692
View attachment 26693
View attachment 26694

James, No bumper delete? :wink

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Ehh, newb moment for me. I didn't realize the cast wheels were BBS and assumed different parameters. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

See post #16. What do you mean non-BBS? All OEM wheels are BBS. Standard cast. Optional forged. Same size.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Rears: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza Scuderia 345/35R19

Fronts: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza (Porsche N1) 265/40R18

I ordered my Bridgestones on Saturday.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I ordered my Bridgestones on Saturday.
You will not be disappointed!!!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I keep waffleing on the bumper delete. I may someday but until I am sure, no sense in spending the funds. Have been working on other things.