Do original oem tires become unsafe after a number of years?

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
If your GT has its original tires, do they become unsafe after being on the car for 7+ years? Should they be replaced regardless of tread wear after a few years?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
YES, if you drive more than EP.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
All it takes is a tire separation at any speed and you have major damage to your GT. I changed mine out a couple of months ago, just to be safe.

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Wow! Glad I asked, thanks!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If you are considering a change, go with the BRIDGESTONES. Do not waste your money on another set of goodyears

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Thanks!! I'll check em out!:thumbsup

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Tires are nothing to ignor and almost every GT I see for sale has the OEs. First thing I do is get them off. (take it from an old tire lawyer)

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Thank you all so much!!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I second the BRIDGESTONES recomendation. Much improved. And yes, tires do 'age out' Even Goodyear recommends replacement of tires over 7 years old as do most other manufactures. Rates of failure are much higher as the tires get older and the rubber is much harder as well.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tires are nothing to ignor and almost every GT I see for sale has the OEs. First thing I do is get them off. (take it from an old tire lawyer)

That is exactly what I did. Never saw the car with anything but bridgestones. Nice sticky tires right from the garage.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Brigdestones

So what model, size and aspect ratio are you guys recommending in the the Bridgestones?

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Do a search for The Tire Thread.... You'll find all you want to know.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Goodyear F1 flat out suck. Get Bridgestones and never look back.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Personally, I like the Goodyears as a great rain, and even snow, tire. I've been caught having to go over some 8,900' passes in a freak snowstorm with half worn Goodyears (>1" of snow covering the road), and they stayed the course for me. And, in major rainstorms travelling across the country, they've been a great rain tire, especially when the car starts hydroplaning a bit. As a general daily tire,, I'll take the Goodyears. For the track, they are slippery and don't have the grip of other tires available. Thus, on the track, I have been running Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, which can still be driven on the highways.

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Personally, I like the Goodyears as a great rain, and even snow, tire. I've been caught having to go over some 8,900' passes in a freak snowstorm with half worn Goodyears (>1" of snow covering the road), and they stayed the course for me. And, in major rainstorms travelling across the country, they've been a great rain tire, especially when the car starts hydroplaning a bit. As a general daily tire,, I'll take the Goodyears. For the track, they are slippery and don't have the grip of other tires available. Thus, on the track, I hae been running Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, which can still be driven on the highways.

Ralphie is a man of reason!

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
So what model, size and aspect ratio are you guys recommending in the the Bridgestones?

Rears: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza Scuderia 345/35R19

Fronts: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza (Porsche N1) 265/40R18

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
As a general daily tire,, I'll take the Goodyears.

+1. I'd keep buying them, but the cost of the rears is outrageous. $1,200+ a pair for 4k-5k miles? Yikes.

Tire Rack has a good article on aging. A couple of relevant quotes:

"The NHTSA tire aging field study also indicated a strong correlation of the speed rating with tire durability, with higher speed-rated tires losing the least capability with increasing calendar age."

"Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years."

The full article: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=183

Remember, Mark McGowan drove the Goodyears at 200+ mph for hours. (It would be interesting to know what they looked like after testing).

Last edited:

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Now that was an interesting article. Thanks for the link.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hoosier are fun too ;)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Having said I am a proponent of new , not aged tires I have to admit I have one car with 21 year old Michelins.

As many already know, several years ago I bought the second production Viper made (VIN 00002) from Chrylser President Bob Lutz. I have kept the tires, which were mounted at the factory in late 1991 on the car for posterity. I take it around the block once a month and for that purpose they are fine.

By contrast, I am getting ready to change out the rear B--stones on my GT after 8000 miles even though they look pretty good.

Last edited: