Dan Gurney looks ahead to Ford's return to Le Mans

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
BTW, Dan's red/white Ford GT at the Concours in '09 appeared to have the BBS Forged Wheels on it, for those that may care about such things.

Randy
Dan's car was purchased for him as a surprise 70th B-day present by his wife and delivered as a 3 option, missing only the wheels however with the bubble already installed from Ford. When I brought mine over for a photo shoot in late '05 Dan really liked the light weight BBS option on my car so contacted his connection at Ford and a few weeks later "wa lah" it had all 4 options. I've got a few wide angle pics showing the stock wheels from that day but would have to dig a bit.

Attachments

• P2230186.jpg
    P2230186.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 38

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
A reminder or FYI: Dan Gurney was the first to shake and spray the champagne from the winners podium, which we now see at almost all motorsport events.

http://jalopnik.com/5830352/this-is-the-first-bottle-of-champagne-sprayed-after-winning-a-race

Who gets this years bottle?

A few months before I sold my business we designed and printed a litho commemorating that event for Dan, AAR and Ford. It was very fun project, it's located in the case next to the original bottle in Dan's office and is a favorite of his to be photographed in front of. Lesley posing next to the case.

Attachments

• 20150319_142135.jpg
    20150319_142135.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Randy
Dan's car was purchased for him as a surprise 70th B-day present by his wife and delivered as a 3 option, missing only the wheels however with the bubble already installed from Ford. When I brought mine over for a photo shoot in late '05 Dan really liked the light weight BBS option on my car so contacted his connection at Ford and a few weeks later "wa lah" it had all 4 options. I've got a few wide angle pics showing the stock wheels from that day but would have to dig a bit.

Dan's was bubble #1, The blue car below was #2 and my Awsum GT was #3 installed at the plant.

6431150-R1-036-16A.jpg
Gurney GT No 3 JD's4.jpg

I also purchased the GT Table that was on the showroom floor... white with blue stripes... and they made me a 1/2 GT wall art GT as well... with a Gurney bubble!