Dan Gurney looks ahead to Ford's return to Le Mans

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
You need to read this...

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/it...urney-looks-ahead-to-ford-s-return-to-le-mans

The plans are in place for Ford to formally announce its return to international sports car racing at Le Mans next week with the Ford GT. A 3 p.m. Friday press conference is expected to confirm what RACER began reporting since last June, William Ford Jr. is set to wave the tricolore to start the 83rd edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the Le Mans museum will also feature cars from Ford and Ferrari in honor of their legendary 24-hour duels in the 1960s.

Ford's celebrations and revelations will only add to the spectacle at Le Mans, and with the American manufacturer primed for a full scale attack in 2016, one of the men who elevated the brand to lofty heights at La Sarthe says he can't wait to see the Blue Oval back in its former hunting grounds.

"I'm thrilled, really, to hear that they are preparing to step up to the plate, and I'd be thrilled silly if they could pull off another home run," the legendary Dan Gurney said.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You need to read this...

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/it...urney-looks-ahead-to-ford-s-return-to-le-mans

The plans are in place for Ford to formally announce its return to international sports car racing at Le Mans next week with the Ford GT. A 3 p.m. Friday press conference is expected to confirm what RACER began reporting since last June, William Ford Jr. is set to wave the tricolore to start the 83rd edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the Le Mans museum will also feature cars from Ford and Ferrari in honor of their legendary 24-hour duels in the 1960s.

Ford's celebrations and revelations will only add to the spectacle at Le Mans, and with the American manufacturer primed for a full scale attack in 2016, one of the men who elevated the brand to lofty heights at La Sarthe says he can't wait to see the Blue Oval back in its former hunting grounds.

"I'm thrilled, really, to hear that they are preparing to step up to the plate, and I'd be thrilled silly if they could pull off another home run," the legendary Dan Gurney said.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would hope that Ford will give Gurney a chance to do a hot lap in the new car.

Dan Gurney for President.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
:thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_20150103_233839391.jpg
    IMG_20150103_233839391.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 226

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
:thumbsup

what no bubble?

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Good point! Someone did make them for the '05-6.
Luckily the the seat adjusts far enough for the big fella to fit comfortably. :wink

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Good point! Someone did make them for the '05-6.
Luckily the the seat adjusts far enough for the big fella to fit comfortably. :wink

Some lucky people were able to get the bubble done while the car was at Saleen.

The GT Guys will do them now. I was going to get a spare door for the mod but it was something like 20K for just the naked door (no attachments like liner, etc).

I can lean the seat back and still fit (just barely) with my helmet on. It's not very comfortable for long sessions but a typical rally track session at a little under an hour was OK.

Workhorse #1 (which is rotated on the display at the Shelby American museum in Vegas) has a bubble.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gurney's car is white, has a bubble and is registered in CA.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Actually Doc, Gurney's car is red/white stripes, standard wheels and registered in Ca. It does have a bubble installed by the people at Ford before it was presented to him as a surprise by his wife on his birthday in '06. :thumbsup

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Actually Doc, Gurney's car is red/white stripes, standard wheels and registered in Ca. It does have a bubble installed car by the people at Ford before it was presented to him as a surprise by his wife on his birthday in '06. :thumbsup

Correct - and it was the 1st bubble that Saleen incorporated. They then used the dies for later orders.

Gurney's car is white, has a bubble and is registered in CA.

You may be thinking of Jerry's car - AWSUM GT

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
My white with blue stripe GT had the 3rd Gurney bubble installed at Saleen. I thought I remembered them saying the 1st one was Gurney's, there was a businessman from the Detroit area had the 2nd and then mine. Not sure how many they did at Saleen... Thought I heard it was only 4 or 5.

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Actually Doc, Gurney's car is red/white stripes, standard wheels and registered in Ca. It does have a bubble installed by the people at Ford before it was presented to him as a surprise by his wife on his birthday in '06. :thumbsup

I remember a young gentleman driving a red/white Ford GT into the local Cars and Coffee when it used to be near Irvine Spectrum at Ford Bldg parking lot. He looked confused, and I asked if i could help. We all had our clamshells up and he said "I don't drive this car often, how do I lift the clamshell?" So I reached in and helped him open the clamshell. Then I saw the bubble and said, "Nice bubble, how did you get that done?"

He explained that they had done that special for his dad. Then I looked into the crowd and sure enough, Dan Gurney was there. He came over and signed my car and talked to us for bit. Always a gentleman.

Later at the 2009 Concours d'Elegance, I was invited to show my GT next to Dan Gurney's GT. What a treat!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Randy, That young gentleman is no slouch of a driver either having won Daytona Prototype Championships in '07 & '09, 12 series Victories and setting the record in in '07 with 7 victories and 10 ploes. I was really hoping that he would have gotten a ride in the new GT for this years Le Mans (another Ford Gurney combo for the 50th) but that wasn't even a possibility due to his retiring immediately after the crash of Memo Gidley in the Gainsco 99 at the 2014 Rolex 24.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
What a treat to see him and his GT at a car show.

Dan signed one of my Camilo painting I have in my office. There use to be a GT owner/tuner in the LA area that had a connection to Dan... I wish I could remember who so maybe I could have him sign my bubble.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
BTW, Dan's red/white Ford GT at the Concours in '09 appeared to have the BBS Forged Wheels on it, for those that may care about such things.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Though not announced, I am hoping Dan wiil be there his June at lemans with us! Would be great to meet him! Wishful thinking , but would be great!

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Though not announced, I am hoping Dan wiil be there his June at lemans with us! Would be great to meet him! Wishful thinking , but would be great!
The Ford GT returns to LeMans...I can't imagine Dan not being there. And maybe Chris Amon (1966), AJ Foyt & Dan Gurney (1967), Jacky Ickx & Jackie Oliver (1969) all of whom are still with us.
Researching who was still around, it,s sad how many of the early drivers ended their lives on a track. I guess some of their legacy might be the safety features in current racing.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I am so looking forward to attending as many races as I can with the New GT this year. Loved Daytona, can't wait for Le Mans, looking forward to Laguna Seca and maybe Southern Cal... Love the new race car... Love the street car just as much...

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
A reminder or FYI: Dan Gurney was the first to shake and spray the champagne from the winners podium, which we now see at almost all motorsport events.

http://jalopnik.com/5830352/this-is-the-first-bottle-of-champagne-sprayed-after-winning-a-race

Who gets this years bottle?