CSX car at BJ

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I own a 1986 AC Mark IV purchased from a 83 year old man in Dallas with 9,000 miles on it. It was built at the AC plant in England as 384 were built between 1983 and 1989 before Bankrupcy. My AC has a 5.0 Ford engine and transmission. Is this the vehicle with a 427 engine in it? Mine is the wide body (427) was hand made. Tomy

And this Cobra's original owner, Max, would have loved our GT's.
With his buddy Bill Neale around, he might have driven an original GT40
back in the day. He did take the Shelby Driving School sometime in the 60's.
Hello Tomy !

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
As has been said before, no question, rock solid history, low production cars hold their value in a down market like we're seeing now. That seemed to be the case at BJ last weekend from what I saw on Speedchannel. This car didn't appear to fall into that catagory, thus the price reduction. I'm not questioning the quality of the car itself, just the history that brought it down.

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
If you just look at this car as a replica of a cobra it would compare to a Kirkham or a Shelby CSX4000 series aluminum bodied car.
A painted fully finished Kirkham will run around $90-110k. The Shelby CSX would run between $130-150k. So, at $115,000, that's about what it's worth.
Thanks. I now understand this transaction.

Where is Paul? Does anyone remember his Viper comparison? Does anyone remember his FGT FS? It was cataloged in a magazine, and I didn't step up.

I am the dumbest guy in the world. I was so sure that I could wait a few months and buy a nice FGT for less than MSRP. In GA, that means no sales tax! It didn't happen. :frown

I'd really like to own a nice FGT, but I was just PM'd on a nice Lola T70 Mk B. Hmm.

No, I do not seek a fake.
http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/for_sale/Lola_T70_Yellow.html

So, why does a fake Shelby Cobra sell for just a bit less than a real car (a FGT) that crossed a factory production line? :confused

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Neither of you gents are close. This car was featured at BJ Scottsdale as a continuation car on the 3000 series. They where built by McCluskey. Then someone claimed to own the same serial number. It is thought that this car was built by Anglsis who owned the AC Car Company and claimed the rights to the Cobra trademark. This car is as authentic as any of the completion series, and has an interesting story. A stone cold bargain, worth two to three times what it sold for.

HeritageGt

Jun 16, 2006
It is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. The market determined the gavel price.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
that is correct, only need two people to have an auction... it was a no reserve sale, and obviously the owner was not prepared to buy it back...

however,... the market comments regarding this car are correct, and more could be said by a forum member that hopefully will share some interesting history.

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
I agree that this is one of the nicest 30 year old recreation/continuation cobras around that for a brief period claimed to be CSX3060.
Maybe it'll end up back in Japan as 3060 again, who knows. :willy

Last edited:

Daltondavid

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2007
Garnet Valley, Pa.
The latest "World Registry of Cobra's and GT40's" shows a gap in production between CSX3055 and CSX3063. I do not claim to be a Cobra expert, but I am in direct contact with several folks who are. (I just tried to call one and got no answer) i.m.o., as far as Bony's point on the car being of "Collector status", I agree that it is. the reasons that make it collectible are just muddier than most other collectible cars. the Bryan Angliss spin on Shelby history is certainly a dark time in the Snake's history!

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
It is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. The market determined the gavel price.

that is correct, only need two people to have an auction... it was a no reserve sale, and obviously the owner was not prepared to buy it back...

I read this often. But it is hard for me to understand.

How do you explain the 1966 Ford GT40 Mk 1 coupe ser# 1065, engine # SGT27? It sold for $1.47M at the RM auction at Monterey this summer. Less than a year ago this same car with three less km sold for $2.04M. The guy that sold the car lost a quick $500K in less than a year. Are you telling me that a GT40 with proper paperwork and history lost $500K of value in less than a year?

You can say the "market determined the price", but I think that there are many inefficiencies in an auction process. I know for a fact that there is some borderline immoral behavior from some auction houses and sellers.

Personally, I doubt I'd ever buy at an auction. Most important, I'd never pay the ~10% premium. That is highway robbery. I can buy 5000 shares of stock for a $0.01 frictional cost (the normal bid/ask spread). Secondly, I think something just isn't right when I am the guy buying at auction.

I prefer a simple private party transaction. If that isn't possible, I'll just move on to the next car. There are no shortage of cars FS at reasonable values (I've been watching the market :biggrin ).

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Obviously lots of folks like to buy at a supermarket.

Monterey is a car supermarket, take a look at how many GTB's crossed the block.

I know that GT and watched it sell at Goodwood and Monterey.

RM and Bonhams are great companies.

The price of F stock is whatever it is today, same thing applies to the hammer price of whatever crosses the block.

Some folks buy at farm stands and other at supermarkets.

Many limited rare cars are sold at auction houses.

Your call where and when you open your purse...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Going back to the CSX car, I invite folks that still have the B-J January Scottsdale auction to review the description in the catalog and promo pieces.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
This CSX Cobra Impostor which was sold at the Las Vegas auction has already made its way to ebay with a starting bid of $75,000 and a description that neglects to mention it was wrecked at a track in Malaysia. :cheers

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
You guys are great.
How in the world do you remember all this stuff?
Kirby you have way to nice of cars to be looking at more.

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
Only got to $90,100 with Reserve Not Met. About the same price as a really well put together Kirkham :dead: :wink

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Here it is.

Gentlemen,

I got a call from one of our members yesterday asking me to go examine this Cobra as it is here in Scottsdale. I will let him reveal his identity and what he paid for this car if he chooses to. I will tell you it was the buy of the century. I own a nice Kirkham that many of you have seen but my car is as crude as a stone hammer compared to this Cobra. Inside, outside, underneath, paint, engine compartment, are all immaculate and the workmanship is off the charts. I am sick that I missed out on this car but glad that a friend bought it. The original serial # plate has been removed and an AZ assigned serial # is on it. A Phoenix area collector car broker who I have known for over 10 years, bid on and purchased this Cobra at BJ Las Vegas for a customer who approved the bid price. Customer got cold feet and backed out of the deal leaving the broker stuck with $105,000 tied up when he needed funds elsewhere. He took a loss to resell it quickly and a FGT owner bought it sight unseen.

Frame is stamped CSX3060. Yeah it's not a real 1960s original. The 1960s cars were not built nearly as well as this car. But it is a genuine British Autocraft car that couldn't be duplicated today with a really interesting history. It is also the nicest Cobra I have ever seen. Congrats to the new owner who will be here in Scottsdale later today.

Chip

Attachments

• CSX 8.jpg
    CSX 8.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 139
  • CSX 1.jpg
    CSX 1.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 148
  • CSX 2.jpg
    CSX 2.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 141
  • CSX 3.jpg
    CSX 3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 131
  • CSX 4.jpg
    CSX 4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
More photos

Photos.

Attachments

• CSX 5.jpg
    CSX 5.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 143
  • CSX 6.jpg
    CSX 6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 134
  • CSX 7.jpg
    CSX 7.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 137

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
thanks for the photos Chip! Nice Goatee! :biggrin

Car looks great congrats to the new owner.

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
Congratulations to the new owner. I enjoyed discussing this car with you the other day :wink

Beautiful car at a great price. :thumbsup

David

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Congratulations to the new owner. I enjoyed discussing this car with you the other day :wink

Beautiful car at a great price. :thumbsup

David

Oh .......... I get it now. :lol

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Perhaps the only Cobra that began life as an AC, then became a Shelby impostor and now probably on its way to being an AC again. With proper historical documentation, this could become quite valuable. Congratulations to the new owner. :cheers