CSX car at BJ

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Interesting story, this car was built as a counterfit car, then the real one was found. This car was part of the 3000 series that was built when Carroll claimed to own frames and parts from the original production. Then it was determined that these parts did not exist. These cars can't be registered in California.
This car sold yesterday for $100k which I feel is well bought. It now has an Arizona assigned vin number and perhaps could come back to California under SB100?
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/w_search.aspx go to lot 811

Watched BJ's auction for a couple of hours yesterday and it appears that tge market has found a newer sane level.

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Interesting story, this car was built as a counterfit car, then the real one was found. This car was part of the 3000 series that was built when Carroll claimed to own frames and parts from the original production. Then it was determined that these parts did not exist. These cars can't be registered in California.
This car sold yesterday for $100k which I feel is well bought. It now has an Arizona assigned vin number and perhaps could come back to California under SB100?
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/w_search.aspx go to lot 811

Watched BJ's auction for a couple of hours yesterday and it appears that tge market has found a newer sane level.

I could not register in time and wanted to by the yellow Boss 302 which went real cheap.:bang Also had 3 other cars I wanted. Could have pushed it and called some friends but in reality it was better I let my wants be just that... wants for now.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Yup,watched it also and although it is hard to judge a cars condition on TV it appears there were many well bought cars at BJ like this one,another that comes to mind is the S7 TT that was bought in the low 2's.Looks like the market is coming down to reality although our Gt's still seem to be holding strong.:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Spent Thursday looking at the BJ autos. Most of the cars inside where pleasing to the eye. What it takes today is documented history and no questions or stories.

Clearly they did nog have the Scottsdale mass of spectators. The bidding area seemed light.

By previous BJ standards prices are much lower.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The CSX car was built in England by Bryan Anglis when he and Carroll where are war.
No doubt this was the buy of the auction.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Was it Aluminum body? great price if that was the case.

Stu

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Was it Aluminum body? great price if that was the case.

Stu

yes

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bryan Anglis is considered to be one of the great builders of all time. He owned AC cars and had a fight of who owned the Cobra marque.

He exposed Carroll Shelby when he wanted to continue building Cobras based on the claim of having old frames. Without doubt this was the darkest part of Shelby's legacy.

The workmanship and condition of this car was outstanding. For a period of time it was believed that this was a vehicle built by Mike McCluskey who is also conisdered a great builder.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
The CSX car was built in England by Bryan Anglis when he and Carroll where are war.
No doubt this was the buy of the auction.

Yes, it was. I was kinda pissed I had not tried to set up for internet bids. I have seen this car before. Easily worth muuuuch more.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thinks there will be more opps, you just have to call your shots...
Remember BJ at the Petersen, always could be called dealer sales???>>>>.......

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"another that comes to mind is the S7 TT that was bought in the low 2's."

That's got to be one of the all time "OUCH" factors. Sticker was what $600,000+?
If story free, someone got a heckuva buy.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think that car was Steve Saleen's personal ride and offered to us by Concours Auto.
They had a booth at B-J, I did not stop by and give my regards since I banned them from the forum.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
"another that comes to mind is the S7 TT that was bought in the low 2's."

That's got to be one of the all time "OUCH" factors. Sticker was what $600,000+?
If story free, someone got a heckuva buy.

I think it probably was a good buy, assuming it was never damaged and it was fine mechanically. Do you know the miles on it? B-J should put the miles on every car listed, correct or not. Would sure be helpful on the later model cars.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
well here are the results...

Attachments

• BarrettJackson_Vegas_10-18-08.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 229

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks for the info Bony. The Cobra that sold in Las Vegas is the same one which was featured as a prime time car in the information for the B-J Scottsdale Auction last January. It was removed from that auction after I provided evidence to B-J that I own the real CSX3060. This fake CSX3060 car was first sold at the 2003 B-J Scottsdale Auction for more than $250,000. Caveat emptor. :cheers

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
It was removed from that auction after I provided evidence to B-J that I own the real CSX3060. This fake CSX3060 car was first sold at the 2003 B-J Scottsdale Auction for more than $250,000. Caveat emptor. :cheers
That was lot 811? How could it be "well bought" for $115K? :confused

I'll never understand the collector car market.

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
If you just look at this car as a replica of a cobra it would compare to a Kirkham or a Shelby CSX4000 series aluminum bodied car.
A painted fully finished Kirkham will run around $90-110k. The Shelby CSX would run between $130-150k. So, at $115,000, that's about what it's worth.

BTW, in no way is the car in question a collector car.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There is a lot I know about this car that I choose not to write about. It is a collector car and I would bet that the out of pocket cost when it left Anglsis was about $350k to $400k.
There is someone on our board who can peel that onion, I won't. The workmanship is far better than anything that has left Kirkham's former mig factory. The body work was hand done on an english wheel and over bucks, not mold stamped.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I own a 1986 AC Mark IV purchased from a 83 year old man in Dallas with 9,000 miles on it. It was built at the AC plant in England as 384 were built between 1983 and 1989 before Bankrupcy. My AC has a 5.0 Ford engine and transmission. Is this the vehicle with a 427 engine in it? Mine is the wide body (427) was hand made. Tomy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Tomy, this is a dead on ringer for the original run. Call me for more information. It has an original date code correct side oiler and top loader in it, everything is spot on.