ClearPlex Who's In

Many thanks for posting this! I don't usually wear polarizing glasses, so I assume that I wouldn't normally see this, correct? And, my wife just brought up an interesting question: what happens at night?

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Tony, Yes, this is an interference pattern. Tilting my head changes the patterns. Turning my head 90 degrees to the side may even make the patterns disappear. Hard to hold my head sideways for long. ;)
Xcentric: I get the same effect if I wear polarized sunglasses inside my motorcycle helmet, looking through the visor, or looking through the windshield. So I use non-polarized glasses when I ride.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony, Yes, this is an interference pattern. Tilting my head changes the patterns. Turning my head 90 degrees to the side may even make the patterns disappear. Hard to hold my head sideways for long. ;)

Yep, classic double polarization. 90* is the key. And as I said, if you look at different angles in other places you will probably see more patterns.

In reality, I think there are two possible causes of this. One is probably not the plastic that is causing the pattern but a very small gap between the plastic and the glass that is acting as the polarizer. It is possible that the bond will improve over time and the effect will be minimized, although I can't say it will ever go away completely. Another is that there is stress at those locations and the film is stretched more there than in other places. (Try taking a piece of plexiglass and flexing it through a polarizer to see what I mean.) Again, the stress may level out over time.

Were there any warnings about not being able to leave it in the sun for a short period of time? It is possible that the heat from a good sun soak could "straighten things out".

Does the film uniformly act as a polarizer? I.e., through a 360* turn of your camera polarizer does it darken and lighten twice? If so then the film is a polarizing film in its own right (hopefully applied at the correct angle) so the effect is expected with a second polarizing lens (although the interference pattern would not be). If it is a polarizing film then just use regular sunglasses.

Good luck.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Many thanks for posting this! I don't usually wear polarizing glasses, so I assume that I wouldn't normally see this, correct? And, my wife just brought up an interesting question: what happens at night?

Nothing as long as it is on the front. It would probably interfere with a self-dimming mirror if it were applied to the rear window (that is, if you had a self dimming rear view mirror).

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't have this problem with mine. Didn't Trent say using infrared heat helped?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Not a problem Chip. I have you on the list on page one so I have one here for you. Would you like me to ship it or get it to you at R10?

Cheers
Trent

I'll pick it up at R10 Trent. Thanks buddy!!

Chip

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't have this problem with mine. Didn't Trent say using infrared heat helped?

Yes, I would expect anything that would improve the bond of the film to the glass would help.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Trent,

Mine arrived a few days ago... Thank you for setting this all up.

Bruce

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Over a week since install, some minor wavy patterns that tend to disappear when looking in the distance. Not near as bad as when the thermostat kicks on and heat wavers the air in front. Just put on Xcel headlight and fog light skins. $70 at their website, cut for the GT, maybe an hour for all four pieces. Had never put this on before but easy with the squeegee and hair dryer.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I found this very old (2006) memo on caring for ClearPlex. Note the paragraph on the "corona effect" when wearing polarized sunglasses.

ClearPlex is a polyester (PET) film as are almost all window films. Care for it the same way. Mild soapy water. No ammonia. No Rainex.

CareLetterJan06 20windshield 20protection 20ClearPlex 20Care-page-001 (1).jpg

CareLetterJan06 20windshield 20protection 20ClearPlex 20Care-page-002.jpg

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Besides me and FlagstaffGT, have any of you guys installed your Clearplex?

I'd like to know what you think, and especially your installation experience.

I'm living with the "corona" and small ripples. The Clearplex has already absorbed a few rock hits and done its job of protecting the glass. No wiper scratches yet, which is a pleasant surprise, but I always wipe the blades if I think I may need them. So...the benefits outweigh the flaws.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I am planning on having mine installed next spring.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I had mine installed by a friend who does window tinting.Came out great.
If I had tried ,it would have been ugly!

Clearplex installation

I had mine put on in August by a professional. Because my windshield has 24,000 miles on it, it was already nicked a bit but no cracks or big chips. Knowing where to look, I can see some of the nicks, but they are no problem. At first, the Clearplex was pretty wavy, but after a couple of hours driving in the sun it became virtually invisible. It has never been rained on and so I haven't used the wipers on it and hope not to have to. I'm very glad I got it!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
will the wipers mark it up.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The film needs to be taken care of properly
I use Rejex on mine regularly.I also a Prima a spray detailer that I use after I wash my car
Obviously if it is very dirty and you run the wipers you could scratch the surface .

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Had mine installed yesterday. Been 24 hrs in garage. Hard to tell its on. Trapped moisture and gas much improved. Applied ClearX HD as recommended by manufacturer.

https://www.clearplexshield.com/product/clearx-hd-windshield-treatment-4oz/

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
The cleaplex looks really excellent now that some time has passed. The noninformed observer one cant tell it is on.

I also do not have any iridescence effect when I wear polarized glasses, likely because the installation used a different slip solution?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The cleaplex looks really excellent now that some time has passed. The noninformed observer one cant tell it is on.

I also do not have any iridescence effect when I wear polarized glasses, likely because the installation used a different slip solution?

A good baking in the hot sun really helps. I have two of those reflective circle sun screens which help reflect the suns heat back to the glass.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I know I'm well past the group buy date but I'm in the market now, looking for some added protection for a trip up the AlCan highway to Anchorage.

Anyone have one of these squirreled away somewhere and willing to part with it?

Any comments on how well - or not - the film helps protect against chips?

Thanks.