Carbon Fiber Aero Package

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
101, you are correct. The GT is a big, heavy car and you need to be smooth laying it into a corner with the stock shocks and springs. However, for me the stock suspension provides a good level of comfort for every day driving and (for now) an acceptable level of track performance with my existing set up. This is not to say better spring / shocks would not help on the track. Surely a lower spring with improved shocks would be a benefit. However, driving over speed bumps, going up a drive way, etc all become issues for me. So, for now I’m keeping the stock ride height. In the future I might be persuaded to go 1” lower but not much more than this. I really look forward to the track comparison of the Ohlins / Multimatic, Kinetic Speed Shop, Roush package, etc : to the stock shocks / springs.

On the other hand I’ve already had my alignment tweaked. Basically more negative camber front and rear (plus some other small changes) and this noticeably improved the front end grip and corner speeds. This was a relatively easy change (compared to spring and shock changes), very inexpensive by comparison and provided noticeable improvements on the track. It also eliminated all of the on center dead spot in the steering thus making the car more responsive to input on the track. While for daily driving this change did not cause the car to become overly sensitive and has made no difference to the wear / overall mileage on the stock tires. Another advantage to this is that it took very little time to dial in the tires / air pressure as this is a small change in comparison to shocks and springs. So, I would rate the alignment change as providing a big bang for the buck.

The other big change I would recommend is the use of race slicks. The Hoosiers are great. The wear is good and the grip they provide is a big step up from street tires. I’m using spare set of stock Forged rims, readily available (very inexpensive if you purchase a set from Ebay, etc). So I would rate this change as providing a big bang for the buck too.

I’ve also had Bob Ida’s exhaust installed. It reduced my peak engine temperatures just as advertised. Another good bang for the buck. Peak engine temperature on the track was just 220 deg! If you send your car to his shop I strongly recommend you talk to him about modifying the air intake, changing the pulley and have him chip the car too. The data he logged, has access to and used to make improvements is just unreal. For now I would not recommend going too much above 600 RW HP for two reasons. First, you need to be careful with 2nd gear on the track and forget about 1st and 2nd at WOT on the street. Second, with this set up very few (if any) cars will be passing you on the track.

Everything is give and take.
Better high speed handling can be realized with a lower car or aero package.
Better springs and shocks may provides more grip so it could increase your speed through the turns, thus your exit speed is higher and your top speed down the next straight is higher.
A lower car or better aero package will improve high speed handling and provide more confidence to run higher down the straight. However with the above you may sacrifice some daily driving capabilities, ground clearance, etc.
More power will also lead to higher straight line speed (regardless of exit speed) but you will have to be even more cautious applying the power coming out of the turns.
On the street additional power is of little benefit as you basically can not apply it in 1st or 2nd and straight line speeds of the stock car are already outrageous so in my opinion has little benefit here.
Both of the above mean higher speeds and the need to brake harder and the stock brakes are already showing their limits so for me the safe way to go is to start looking for bigger brakes / different pads, etc.

Just my opinions, but real excited to see how others compare their modification to the stock set up on the track.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I believe with the adjustable coil over shocks, ride heighth can be adjusted for different conditions.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I had the carbon fiber diffuser installed on Tues. I'll take pictures as soon as I can and update my Gallery pictures. Looks very good installed.

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
i agree with 101 i always said the brakes were weak for any kind of performance so i ordered new 6 piston brembos. for the front.

i too am working on stiffening the front end.. but i must say that i got used to run the car over 190 many many times and i do feel more comfortable now.. at high speed. i even hit over 220 a couple of times ( speedo ends there)

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
6-piston calipers and 2-piece rotors will do the trick... keep us posted Joe

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I have added 3 new photos of the carbon fiber diffuser to my Member Galeries section. These photos show the pre-production model installed on my car. One of the photos is taken from the side so you can see how much further the venturi was extended (about 1.5 inches). The photo taken from the rear shows how much thicker the carbon fiber blades are. In my opinion, the diffuser now looks much more agressive and substantial. The weight of the OEM diffuser is about 15 pounds. The goal for the carbon fiber version is about 10 pounds. I am told the manufacturer could create a track version at about 5 pounds. It would not be durable enough for everyday road use.

Speaking of the manufacturer, the "artist" for all this carbon fiber is one of the guys that did all the carbon fiber body and aero work for the 2004 and 2005 Corvette C5-R. He now has moved to Scottsdale and opened up his new business.

I'm sorry I don't have more information on the other pieces and final pricing. All efforts are now being focused on a carbon fiber trunk lid that eliminates the "rib" in the air extractors. I have seen the first prototype and it looks just like the "1075" version. Should be a drastic improvement for cooling. Until Harley gets that done the way he wants it, there won't be any more work on the other aero pieces. I'll keep pushing them and I'll report back anything I learn..

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great news, We'll be waiting to see all the new goodies. I'm going to check out the photos in your gallery. Thx for keeping us posted.

yimn

GT Owner
Dec 12, 2005
Trackday,

Do you mind sharing your aligment setup data so than I can try it myself. Re the brake, since the cooling duct is a fake, anyone experiences brake overheat on track very quickly?

thanks

yimn

GT Owner
Dec 12, 2005
Just want to bring up this thread again hoping to get a reply to my question.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Updated information. See Top.

boondocksts

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2006
PHXGT said:
Updated information. See Top.
Any pictures of the trunk lid?

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'll try to take a picture.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Looking forward to seeing the pictures....

Last edited:

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I have posted new pictures in my Gallery. I have not installed the chin splitter yet. I'm having an adjustment made to is. Also, Harley is still making changes to the front hood. Once I can get a picture of the finished product, I'll post it. Harley did say that once he is happy with the design, he will make it available.

Pricing for the pieces is as follows:

Chin splitter and 2 side fences are $3,200 (plus shipping) for all 3 pieces.
The rear diffuser is $4,600 (plus shipping).
Complete 4 piece package is $7,800 (plus shipping).

The rear diffuser weighs 8 lbs. vs the OEM piece at 14 lbs.
The chin splitter is attached to the existing splitter. It can't weigh 1/2 lb.
The side fences together are about 1 lb. vs 7 lbs.for the OEM pieces.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Looks Great !!!...

raymondgo

Feb 10, 2006
Philippines
picture please i like to have also thanks

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Just installed the carbon fiber chin splitter today. I have uploaded pictures in my Member Gallery.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
---UPDATE---

I talked to Harley today (11-10-06) and they are ready to begin taking orders for their Carbon Fiber Aero package. They have all four pieces available. Please contact Harley and Grand Touring Cars, Inc. at:

Harley Cluxton III
GTC, Inc.
480-991-5320
or e-mail at gtcmirage@aol.com

I have been very pleased with the rear diffuser I put on in June. I will be picking up the other three pieces next week and will post picture once they are on the car. I do not have pricing on the pieces. You'll have to talk to Harley about final pricing. This is not Harley's main line of work and he will be trying to address interest around his regular business. All the manufacturing is done here in Phoenix. I suspect that they will not stock a large inventory, but will make the pieces as the orders come in. Everything I stated below in June is still accurate. The craftsman is the same guy that did the carbon fiber work for the Le Mans winning Corvette C-4R and C-5R.

----End of UPDATE---

Many of you may know, or know of, Harley Clluxton III and his company Grand Touring Cars, Inc. (GTC) in Scottsdale, AZ. GTC is home to some amazing cars inclluding #1075. Harley was a team principal of the Gulf Racing Team in the mid '70s, racing the Mirages. Harley has been at the center of the Ford GT40 cars for more than 35 years.

Harley owns a 2006 Tungsten GT and is working on creating a carbon fiber aero package to be made available for those that would like it. He already has the molds made for the front splitter, the side fences and the rear diffuser. For those that may be interested, he also has completed a carbon fiber front trunk lid. This lid eliminates the center "rib" at the air extractor and drastically improves cooling. It is done in the style of #1075.

The carbon fiber work is being built by a master craftsman (not sure if he wants his ID released yet), and has received the proper aero input from Ford engineers. Only the rear diffuser has been completed. It is built in three pieces: the main pan and the two diffusers (just like the OEM piece). We felt it was better to be able to replace a single diffuser if one got damaged. The diffusers are about an inch and a half longer and curve up the underside of the car a little further than the OEM piece. I don't know what the OEM piece weighs, but the entire carbon fiber piece only weighs 12 pounds. The pan and diffusers attach at all of the factory attachment points, which will be the goal for the chin splitter and side fences as well.

I could not get the file sizes small enough to post pictures here. Please view pictures on my Member Galleries section. The piece looks fantastic!! As Harley said, "It belongs in a frame on your wall".

Harley has asked me to introduce these products to you and try to gage interest for the pieces. Since all the pieces have not been completed yet, there is no pricing available at this time. We'd like to know how many would be interested in the entire 4 piece aero package and also those that may be interested in the just some of the pieces. An accurate indication of the amount of demand will impact pricing. Harley has been a Ford GT enthusiast for 35 years. His goal will be to make these pieces as attainable as possible. We expect to have the other pieces done over the next few weeks. I'll try to post pictures if I can get my hands on them.

Harley Cluxton III
GTC, Inc.
480-991-5320
or e-mail at gtcmirage@aol.com

Is Harley still manufacturing the CF aero kit?

I found another post listing this company:

Speedtek Composite Fabrication, Inc.
Rob Qualls
602-258-0765
speedtekcomposites@yahoo.com

Are the CF chin spoiler and rear diffuser manufactured to OE specs dimensions? or are they larger?

Cheers. :cheers - October 10th weekend at Chip's place.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Harley and Speedtek designed the pieces together. I would contact Speedtek. Harley worked with Ford's wind tunnel guys to get proper measurements for both a longer rear diffuser (a couple of inches) and a "deeper" chin spoiler (about an inch). Together they provide more downforce but do not unbalance that force......hope that makes sense.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Rich asked me to put these up. Friday we got together for some photos of his car with much of the work that the GT Guys do. Hopefully this will help everybody get a good idea both of the high quality of work, and what the products might look like on a GT

The GT Guys Custom Ford GT 57 Hi-res images on nthimage.com

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_7%20copy.JPG

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_11%20copy.JPG

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_16%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_21%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_26%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_27%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_32%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_37%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_42%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_43%20copy.jpg

The_GT_Guys_Ford_GT_50%20copy.jpg