Carbon Fiber Aero Package

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Carbon Fiber Aero Package - Updated

---UPDATE---

I talked to Harley today (11-10-06) and they are ready to begin taking orders for their Carbon Fiber Aero package. They have all four pieces available. Please contact Harley and Grand Touring Cars, Inc. at:

Harley Cluxton III
GTC, Inc.
480-991-5320
or e-mail at gtcmirage@aol.com

I have been very pleased with the rear diffuser I put on in June. I will be picking up the other three pieces next week and will post picture once they are on the car. I do not have pricing on the pieces. You'll have to talk to Harley about final pricing. This is not Harley's main line of work and he will be trying to address interest around his regular business. All the manufacturing is done here in Phoenix. I suspect that they will not stock a large inventory, but will make the pieces as the orders come in. Everything I stated below in June is still accurate. The craftsman is the same guy that did the carbon fiber work for the Le Mans winning Corvette C-4R and C-5R.

----End of UPDATE---

Many of you may know, or know of, Harley Clluxton III and his company Grand Touring Cars, Inc. (GTC) in Scottsdale, AZ. GTC is home to some amazing cars inclluding #1075. Harley was a team principal of the Gulf Racing Team in the mid '70s, racing the Mirages. Harley has been at the center of the Ford GT40 cars for more than 35 years.

Harley owns a 2006 Tungsten GT and is working on creating a carbon fiber aero package to be made available for those that would like it. He already has the molds made for the front splitter, the side fences and the rear diffuser. For those that may be interested, he also has completed a carbon fiber front trunk lid. This lid eliminates the center "rib" at the air extractor and drastically improves cooling. It is done in the style of #1075.

The carbon fiber work is being built by a master craftsman (not sure if he wants his ID released yet), and has received the proper aero input from Ford engineers. Only the rear diffuser has been completed. It is built in three pieces: the main pan and the two diffusers (just like the OEM piece). We felt it was better to be able to replace a single diffuser if one got damaged. The diffusers are about an inch and a half longer and curve up the underside of the car a little further than the OEM piece. I don't know what the OEM piece weighs, but the entire carbon fiber piece only weighs 12 pounds. The pan and diffusers attach at all of the factory attachment points, which will be the goal for the chin splitter and side fences as well.

I could not get the file sizes small enough to post pictures here. Please view pictures on my Member Galleries section. The piece looks fantastic!! As Harley said, "It belongs in a frame on your wall".

Harley has asked me to introduce these products to you and try to gage interest for the pieces. Since all the pieces have not been completed yet, there is no pricing available at this time. We'd like to know how many would be interested in the entire 4 piece aero package and also those that may be interested in the just some of the pieces. An accurate indication of the amount of demand will impact pricing. Harley has been a Ford GT enthusiast for 35 years. His goal will be to make these pieces as attainable as possible. We expect to have the other pieces done over the next few weeks. I'll try to post pictures if I can get my hands on them.

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Does the kit increase drag coefficient or does it increase down force, or what?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The carbon fiber pieces look beauuuuutiful. I think the the terrible drag coefficient(.39) of the GT is cased by the design of the front facia.

Is there a chance that the new carbon fiber piece for the front of the car could address this issue.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I think I remember Harley telling me that since the rear diffuser is being lengthened, the front splillter will have to be made a little deeper. Not sure if that will increase the cd or just increase down force. Harley was also talking about doing a new nose that basically turns the entire bottom half of the nose into a carbon fiber splitter.

I'll be happy to ask him the questions that get posted here. Or, maybe we can talk him into joining the Forum.

Last edited:

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
How much?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Can't wait to see all of the finished products. If all of the products look good , reduce weight and provide some type of aero advantage I thinkk they would sell like hot cakes.. I know some would buy for the looks and weight reduction..

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Absolutely beautiful pieces. I look forward to seeing them on someone's car.

- doc

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Holy moly - great work.. :cool

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i look forward to seeing this stuff. it sounds like its gonna be trick :cool

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
If the carbon kit provides some additional downforce and stability at high speed, I'd be interested. If it's just cosmetic, not interested.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Clax said:
If the carbon kit provides some additional downforce and stability at high speed, I'd be interested. If it's just cosmetic, not interested.

When do you plan to enter your GT in the American Le Mans Series?? :rolleyes

Come on boys - these splitters and spoilers only have a real effect at 100mph and over, and of all the GT's I've seen trashed, it all happend when drivers gets caught out by the rear when they floored it... Mostly at 40mph.

Even on a track day, 99% of you guys won't feel the effect of a 5-10% increase in downforce...

2 cents and change

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Agreed 101, that's why we need the nuclear reactor light for the rear clamshell. It's functional and stunning (I hope). No aerodynamic tricks or gimmics dependent on velocity or acceleration.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Am i missing something. Seems as though everyone is saying what great looking pieces these are. Where are the pictures.....????

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
show photos !

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
:lol :cheers :lol
fjpikul said:
we need the nuclear reactor light for the rear clamshell. It's functional and stunning (I hope). No aerodynamic tricks or gimmics dependent on velocity or acceleration.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
one of 101 said:
When do you plan to enter your GT in the American Le Mans Series?? :rolleyes

Come on boys - these splitters and spoilers only have a real effect at 100mph and over, and of all the GT's I've seen trashed, it all happend when drivers gets caught out by the rear when they floored it... Mostly at 40mph.

Even on a track day, 99% of you guys won't feel the effect of a 5-10% increase in downforce...

2 cents and change

I track my cars, and yes, I will feel a difference in 5-10% downforce. The car could use more downforce at over 120mph, and I think the front splitter could be the culprit. In comparison to other cars that I own and have tracked, the GT could use improvement in this area. I am willing to buy a product that provides this improvement. The rear diffuser is probably not the culprit of the problem, but the CF diffuser does look cool. I would hope that a custom front splitter would be engineered to provide more downforce. Is that the case with this product?

Keep the change.

Last edited:

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
I too am interested if the parts provide a real track advantage.
Over 120 occurs real often on the track (even in short shoots between turns @ red line in 3rd gear). However, my comfort level right now is just shy of red line in 4th gear on the long straights (around 165 before braking hard for the next turn).
FWIW I feel the GT could use larger rotors and pads.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Clax said:
I track my cars, and yes, I will feel a difference in 5-10% downforce. The car could use more downforce at over 120mph, and I think the front splitter could be the culprit. In comparison to other cars that I own and have tracked, the GT could use improvement in this area. I am willing to buy a product that provides this improvement. The rear diffuser is probably not the culprit of the problem, but the CF diffuser does look cool. I would hope that a custom front splitter would be engineered to provide more downforce. Is that the case with this product?

Keep the change.

Well if you take your GT to the limit on track days and feel confident that more downforce is what your car needs, I would be surprised if you have not yet changed your springs and roll-bars...
The GT has a big amount of front roll which causes it to understeer big time, and I'm sure that this how Ford engineers wanted it to handle in order not to be quite so scary with all its power and grunt.

In other words - a change of springs and dampers would be the first area where a track day enthusiast could see his lap-times decrease, and not with 5% more or less downforce...

Later this summer I hope to post some comparison in feel between the standard suspension and the Ohlins set-up I got on my car right now. Also I'm looking into having som stiffer roll-bars made...
I don't know your background in cars, but from my near 15 years as a proffesional racing driver I feel I picked up a thing or two... :wink

"Trackday" has a good point - brakes on the GT are rubbish!!

Peace

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Hey, get the us poor Yanks some Ohlins, so we can be good at the track also!

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
one of 101 said:
"Trackday" has a good point - brakes on the GT are rubbish!!
Peace

No surprise there, they're made by Brembo. Give StopTech a call at 310-325-4799 to see when they're going to release a BBK for the GT. So far nothing on their website.