Buying Advice Modded vs. OEM GT?

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
Excellent advice! I knew you guys would come thru....Now I guess I have to buy two, one to keep stock, and one to mod.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It seems the argument to keep it OEM in this thread is about resale, but then both state they like bare bones cars. Hmmmmmmmmmm. :bored

Don't heavily optioned cars bring way, WAY more on resale down the road? :shrug

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Depends on the type of car. For instance, a radio/heater delete, no a/c, p/w, p/b, blah, blah, '62 409 car will bring more bux than one with all the options. The 'no options' GTs may not RIGHT NOW. But, I'd wager down the road they'll bring a premium too since there were so few of them made.

Just my gut on the latter. No science.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
It all depends on what you want the car for. When looking for a driver, one that I intend to put some miles on enjoying, I would not even consider a 10 year old car with only a few hundred miles. Lots of trouble lying in wait.

If I was looking for a piece of garage art, that would be exactly the car I would want.

For the GTs, the somewhat tastefully modded ones seem to bring about the same money as OEM for the same miles. Sometimes a bit more but never adding the cost of the upgrades.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
:agree:

EP is the foremost expert when it comes to un-molested low milegage cars that are bought, but not driven much.
Nope - I hold that title. My white one gets about 2k miles/ year. My delivery-miles yellow one gets 0 miles /year.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
It's been shown time and time again that 'down the road' a bone stock, no stories, UNTOUCHED ORIGINAL car (no matter what make the car may be) will be worth more than an 'equal quality' modded or FORMERLY modded car.

Although there will be those who'll argue this point, in the eyes of many people who look for a "no stories original", a car that has been modded at any time in its history will always be considered a 'modded' car and valued accordingly by them.

Anticipating the, "who's going to know if it was modded at one time", question - it's not that difficult to ascertain with just some basic sleuthing...like asking the 'local car crowd' what they know about the car. (E.g.: Some basic sleuthing revealed that a certain "red-on-red" '59 Impala I was looking to buy was actually "green-on-green" when delivered from the factory.)

Since you admit your car "probably won't be driven alot", and you "adore factory low mile originals", why pay for mods that will likely cost you again down the road? In your particular case, buying a 'stocker' would seem to be the best way to go all the way around IMO.

(Don't forget to have a PPI done by an expert before buying!)

Just my $.02. :cheers

(Incidentally, it might be interesting to ask the seller to state in writing that the car had never been modded, wrecked, blah, blah, blah. His reaction to that request may speak volumes! If he gets touchy or defensive that ought to tell you something. If, say, he's not the original owner and balks at giving you contact info for that individual - that too ought to tell you something. There are dozens of scenarios to consider, but, you probably get my point.)

Sage advice, all the way around.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I'm looking around for another FGT and am considering a silver with tubistyle exhaust - a red one stock 1250 miles - a stock tungsten with 460 miles and a white/blue with a whipple, 21 wheels, bumper delete. Considering the value of the parts - knowing I'd have it modified anyhow sooner or later - the nightmares to have everything working properly ... my preference is going to the modded car even it it already has 10 000 miles on it.
The low miles (stock) cars are a shame to put miles on them and keep as investment. On the other hand it's such a petty to have it and not drive it.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I bought my first GT and paid a little extra to get the mods I wanted.
I bought my second gt and paid extra because it was completely unmodified.

I love them both

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Docshelby:

Suggest you go to page two and read the post entitled "Ford GT Price Valuations." Some of the posts cover your question.

Last edited:

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
Will do, thanks!