Buying Advice Modded vs. OEM GT?

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
I hope, I am not starting a skirmish here, but I could use some advice. Should I buy a modded (exhaust, pulley. lowered, B.delete, ETC). Or stick to OEM? Probably won't get driven alot (have other collectors, and they don't get driven much) live in Michigan. Would hope, it will continue to appreciate, as they have. I know you're going to say, get what you want, but I'm not sure. I love what the mods do for the car, But adore factory low mile originals!
Thanks! Still looking....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I hope, I am not starting a skirmish here, but I could use some advice. Should I buy a modded (exhaust, pulley. lowered, B.delete, ETC). Or stick to OEM? Probably won't get driven alot (have other collectors, and they don't get driven much) live in Michigan. Would hope, it will continue to appreciate, as they have. I know you're going to say, get what you want, but I'm not sure. I love what the mods do for the car, But adore factory low mile originals!
Thanks! Still looking....

Most owners have kept their OEM parts when modding the GT, if only to be able to return it to stock if desired someday in the future. (Probably will never happen though.) So, those parts will likely come with a modded car, should you wish to change back any of the items.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As I'm sure you know.... You buy a car "done" will be more cost effective, assuming the mods are what you would have done anyway.

Not sure how long you have been looking, but there are not millions of these cars on the market. What may happen is you might find the color and miles you want, and then what ever has been done to the car, comes with it or not.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
IMO, most mods on these cars embody quality and taste. I've spend ~$20,000 in mods and would defy any but the most cognoscenti to differentiate stock from mods. So cost effective indeed and likely things you would want to do anyway.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Buy the one you like. The right car will follow you home like a puppy.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Most folks ultimately decide to mod their car - you probably will too.
Personally, I would buy a modded car as usually more cost effective than doing yourself.
The BIG IF (that is IF) it has been modded by the right folks.
If Shelby, GT Guys, Kendall, or Shadowman did the work, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
If modded by "Jimmy's Speed Shop and Taco Joint" forget about it.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If Shelby, GT Guys, Kendall, or Shadowman did the work, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
If modded by "Jimmy's Speed Shop and Taco Joint" forget about it.

+1

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Ask Shelby on value.

I like OEM and would have no option car if possible...all my $ goes to Ladies

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I agree with what others have said. If the car has the mods you want and has been done correctly, then go for it--as long as the original parts come with it. The most valuable cars in the future will have all of the original pieces in place, or at least come with it.

JMO

ben

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...Probably won't get driven alot...Would hope, it will continue to appreciate, as they have...But adore factory low mile ORIGINALS!

It's been shown time and time again that 'down the road' a bone stock, no stories, UNTOUCHED ORIGINAL car (no matter what make the car may be) will be worth more than an 'equal quality' modded or FORMERLY modded car.

Although there will be those who'll argue this point, in the eyes of many people who look for a "no stories original", a car that has been modded at any time in its history will always be considered a 'modded' car and valued accordingly by them.

Anticipating the, "who's going to know if it was modded at one time", question - it's not that difficult to ascertain with just some basic sleuthing...like asking the 'local car crowd' what they know about the car. (E.g.: Some basic sleuthing revealed that a certain "red-on-red" '59 Impala I was looking to buy was actually "green-on-green" when delivered from the factory.)

Since you admit your car "probably won't be driven alot", and you "adore factory low mile originals", why pay for mods that will likely cost you again down the road? In your particular case, buying a 'stocker' would seem to be the best way to go all the way around IMO.

(Don't forget to have a PPI done by an expert before buying!)

Just my $.02. :cheers

(Incidentally, it might be interesting to ask the seller to state in writing that the car had never been modded, wrecked, blah, blah, blah. His reaction to that request may speak volumes! If he gets touchy or defensive that ought to tell you something. If, say, he's not the original owner and balks at giving you contact info for that individual - that too ought to tell you something. There are dozens of scenarios to consider, but, you probably get my point.)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
In Corvette land: Modded < OEM stock

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Purchase what you want....Caveat Emptor!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
It's been shown time and time again that 'down the road' a bone stock, no stories, UNTOUCHED ORIGINAL car (no matter what make the car may be) will be worth more than an 'equal quality' modded or FORMERLY modded car.

Although there will be those who'll argue this point, in the eyes of many people who look for a "no stories original", a car that has been modded at any time in its history will always be considered a 'modded' car and valued accordingly by them.

Anticipating the, "who's going to know if it was modded at one time", question - it's not that difficult to ascertain with just some basic sleuthing...like asking the 'local car crowd' what they know about the car. (E.g.: Some basic sleuthing revealed that a certain "red-on-red" '59 Impala I was looking to buy was actually "green-on-green" when delivered from the factory.)

Since you admit your car "probably won't be driven alot", and you "adore factory low mile originals", why pay for mods that will likely cost you again down the road? In your particular case, buying a 'stocker' would seem to be the best way to go all the way around IMO.

(Incidentally, it might be interesting to ask the seller to state in writing that the car had never been modded, wrecked, blah, blah, blah. His reaction to that request may speak volumes! If he gets touchy or defensive that ought to tell you something. If, say, he's not the original owner and balks at giving you contact info for that individual - that too ought to tell you something. There are dozens of scenarios to consider, but, you probably get my point.)
Or if you get a car on it like EP's, it'll have only the delivery miles on it, and you wouldn't have to worry!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

:agree:

EP is the foremost expert when it comes to un-molested low milegage cars that are bought, but not driven much.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
In Corvette land: Modded < OEM stock

'Probably thee prime example of that principle.

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
I bought a car with all the original parts included.
It has Roush pulley and KW-Variant 3 coil overs and Stillen cat-back.
What I think is very important on the GT is Accufab half shaft bolts, transaxle cooler and Bridgestone Potezas RE050a.

Il start from there and will ad Whipple and long tubes later this year.

So I think it was better to buy a original car. Good luck mate

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
it's been shown time and time again that 'down the road' a bone stock, no stories, untouched original car (no matter what make the car may be) will be worth more than an 'equal quality' modded or formerly modded car.

Anticipating the, "who's going to know if it was modded at one time", question - it's not that difficult to ascertain with just some basic sleuthing...like asking the 'local car crowd' what they know about the car. (e.g.: Some basic sleuthing revealed that a certain "red-on-red" '59 impala i was looking to buy was actually "green-on-green" when delivered from the factory.)

since you admit your car "probably won't be driven alot", and you "adore factory low mile originals", why pay for mods that will likely cost you again down the road? In your particular case, buying a 'stocker' would seem to be the best way to go all the way around imo.

(don't forget to have a ppi done by an expert before buying!)

just my $.02. :cheers

(incidentally, it might be interesting to ask the seller to state in writing that the car had never been modded, wrecked, blah, blah, blah. His reaction to that request may speak volumes! If he gets touchy or defensive that ought to tell you something. If, say, he's not the original owner and balks at giving you contact info for that individual - that too ought to tell you something. There are dozens of scenarios to consider, but, you probably get my point.)

+1

ajk

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
My Vette came with zero options

Options: None $0 on window sticker

Im a cheap b@stard.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My Vette came with zero options

Options: None $0 on window sticker

If I end up with a Gen 5, that's exactly how I intend to order it! ZERO 'gingerbread'!

Im a cheap b@stard.

I doubt that. I'd bet the reason you bought one the way you did is for the same reasons I would: (1) LESS WEIGHT, (2) less crap to go wrong, (3) no desire to pay for bells and whistles in which you have no interest at all and therefore will never have a reason to use.

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
No mods.....especially if you aren't going to drive it much.