Buy 2007 Porsche 997 Twin Turbo or Second GT

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
californiacuda said:
There is an 03 tt for sale on ebay with 600+ hp 20k miles and tiptronic. Seems
like a nice daily driver, and most of the depreciation has already occured. Lots of options.

Turbo + Tiptronic = resale kiss of death...

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Pipelion said:
But besides no space for anything but money and a tooth brush, why don't you think the Ford is a crosscountry car?

I wasn't speaking in general; it's in comparison to the other car he is considering. IMO the Porsche is the better car in those 3 areas. I wasn't very clear of that comparison in my first post though...

Camillo Pardo drove his from Michigan to Florida and back with zero complaints. It all comes down to the comfort of the person with his arse in the drivers seat :thumbsup

Pipelion

James,

I completely understand now, thank you. :cheers

Yes the Porsche is a true GT, if GT still means Grand Touring. :cheers

Before I thought you didn't think the F GT was road worthy.

Now I'll shut up!

Allan

Pipelion

Is Camillio Pardo related to Don Pardo? :lol :lol :lol

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Porsche

Having had 3 Porsches, I can say that they are bullet-proof. I'd feel comfortable driving one anywhere anytime.
Again, my only complaint is the re-sale. Best option with a Porsche is to buy one pre-owned. Getting one at MSRP is tantamount to tossing away a bundle of cash. The only caveat to that would be, (as I believe someone mentioned) is to get a 993 TT, or even the ultimate TT-S. They're air cooled, much better looking that the present models (996 or 997 for that matter), and were actually hand built. They also hold their value, and may even appreciate.
The only other car I got burnt on selling, besides a Porsche was an Aston Vantage. I lost about 45K within a year of it's purchase. I had the bad luck of purchasing it at the time the DB9 was announced which made the DB7 plummet like a meteor.
Rob

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Well I own both, the Porsche a 2002 GT2 that I bought brand new, and I love the car and will probably never sell it, I bought it way way under the 196k window sticker which I felt was ridiculously over priced but I love the car and would highly reccomend it. Me I would buy a used 996 TT, they are great cars, and in my opinion drive way better than the 993's and are better cars as well. Like albofaz said you can get a good deal on one and have a lot of fun with it. There are all sort's of mod's for them to take the HP just about as high as you want. What would you do with 2 GT"s?

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Tt

Jamie
I agree with everything you said except for the 996 being a better car than the 993. It may very well drive better, be smoother...but as far as being better, I disagree. The 993 was the last of the hand made Porsches, and any Porsche mechanic will corroborate this. I had a 993 Twin Turbo S and I'd take it any day over any 996. In addition the lines of the 993 are amazing and still make the 996 look down right generic. All that being said, I still wouldn't get two Ford GT's.
Rob

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
What about an SL65

I have owned a 993 Turbo and a 996 Turbo. My daily driver now blows them all away. More comfort, faster, better looking....my opinion and the top goes down. May not do the corners as well but it's pretty damn good and we are talking mid 11's in the quarter. From 60-150 it may dust the GT. It is ferocious when you step on it at 60+. You can get a loaded, low mileage (less than 5000) one for around $125K. Worth considering.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
rsilverman said:
The only other car I got burnt on selling, besides a Porsche was an Aston Vantage. I lost about 45K within a year of it's purchase. I had the bad luck of purchasing it at the time the DB9 was announced which made the DB7 plummet like a meteor.
Rob

After we lemon lawed my wifes new Maserati Spyder, we were unable to find a convertible that made her happy. At the time AM was going around the country with the pre production db9 coupe and db9 convertible. My wife fell in love and decided that she had to have it (2003), but our trusty Ferrari/Maserati/Aston salesman told us it was going to be 18 months away. So a red/tan 03 DB7 convertible caught her eye and we left the db9 unveiling with a db7. We were also promised that when the db9 convertible was available we would get close to what we paid for the DB7.

A year later (and 13k miles) we went in to buy the DB9. We paid around $155 for the DB7, so we expected a trade plus around $70k cash (taking into consideration we drove the car for a year). I wasn't off the mark, the $70k number was right, but they wanted to give us $70k FOR OUR CAR, PLUS ALMOST $100K CASH!

Used Astons are a great deal, but stay away from buying one new!

I think the 997tt will be a great car that you could get out of without too much pain (and not too many miles) if you kept it less than a year. Keep it longer (until the market's flooded) or put a ton of miles on and you'll get killed.

If you're looking for a beater, get a 996tt and mod it nicely. Or a '97 993tt without too many miles. Neither of those are going to depreciate much more and they're pretty cheap to own.