Buy 2007 Porsche 997 Twin Turbo or Second GT

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I have decided to buy either a second GT probably Red/White to go with my 2006 White/Blue or the New 2007 Porsche 997 Twin Turbo. The TT is much different than the GT more of a Luxury Sports car Instead of the Raw muscle of the GT, it also has NAV,Cruise,Stability Management,Traction Control and all wheel drive to name a few. I had a 2003 996 TT that I sold a year ago and really like it. I also like the Tiptronic trans in the TT for heavy traffic. Porsche sent me a flyer claiming 0-60 in 3.4 and the Quarter Mile in 11.6 with the Tiptronic Trans for the new 997 TT. I feel the GT will be a better Investment over the long run and the GT gets way more attention, but the TT can be driven in the rain and even the Snow if you want. I am somewhere on my local Porsche dealers list for the new TT but it may 6-12 months before I actually order and get one, I could buy another GT today. My wife says I'm "OBSESSING" over cars again, she just doesn't understand. Thanks for your input. Here is a link to the new TT.
http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=6913

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Get the best of both worlds. I would go for the TT unless you want to save one gt as an investment and you want to modify the other for fun.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Tt

My only input, from personal experience with a 996 TT is expect a huge loss on the car when you want to sell it. Car new was about 130K, and less than 2 years later, was happy to get in the 80's.
Porsche sucks when it comes to customer loyalty regarding limiting production numbers to keep the value of their cars up.
Great cars, bullet proof and reliable - just beware of the precipitous depreciation you'll experience.
Rob

Pipelion

The most amazing thing about the 2007 Porsche TT is the new variable fins inside the turbo. I've read the torque curve peak is flat from only 1950 rpms and across. That's why the low 0-60 times.

The other factor for the TT is it will look better than the photos, early photos even by Porsche always suck.

Rob's point is true with recent multi year high Turbo production numbers, not true in the early Turbos. I sold both mine for more or just under what I paid for them. And drove the two for a combined 65,000 miles.

Still I'd get a second Ford GT. Why? Because Porsche will make a TT in 2008 , and most likely 2009. They also might make something even cooler than the amazing TT.

I'm a Porsche nut, but the Ford GT is done after 2006. Porsche TTs are not. Do what you want, it's your money.

It's not a bad situation either way. :biggrin :lol :biggrin

Allan

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Concerning the 996 tt, the prices depreciated quickly after new and flattened out at about 70k. There are several companies that mod these great cars, one is evolution motorsports in arizona. They can get almost four digit hp with the tt's. Pretty cool with awd when all 4 tires burn out.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The twin turbo version has the same problem as the z06. They are wonderfully competent sports cars but to the general public they look just like the cheaper models and the owner looses some driving prestige

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Variety is the spice of life.
While I love my GT, I don't think I would own 2 of them. I personally would go with the 997 GT3, L-car or F-Car. I hope I am wrong, but I do not think the GT is a car to invest in.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Car Investment

I don't think any car is good for an investment, especially a new one. Carrera GT is a perfect example. You can easily get one for almost a 100K less than it's MSRP.
If you're talking vintage Ferrari - Maybe, but still, upkeep is pricey (personal experience). So, buy a car you'll enjoy (I'd still fear the potential catasrophic drop in value of a Porsche though) and not worry about the inevitable depreciation.

Last edited:

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
grab the 997TT for a daily "beater"......doesn't that sound funny :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Aren't the car mags complaining about the transmissions in the Porsche?

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I need to see the TT Performance Numbers when the Magazines test it, The only problem is they will probably test a 6 speed Non Sport Chrono Package(Option), the SCP gives the car a Overboost function and 500LBS of torque. I want them to test the Tiptronic with the SCP. The Tip for the first time is supposed to be faster than the 6 speed. As far as depreciation the GT will depreciate less over time the TT's do sink like Rocks as time goes on. Its more of a comfort issue probably for me the TT is way more Comfortable for long driving and has better Visibilty. The Tiptronic means no shifting. I figure there are going be alot of low mile GT's floating around for quite a while if I want a second GT. It may also depend on how long my dealer makes me wait to order the TT. Its always interesting to get every ones opinion.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Heres my take on the Porsche Turbo based on cars that I have owned since new...

1- 92 911 turbo, great car sold it within the first year didn't get hit that bad.
2- 94 3.6 turbo, got the car early sold it 7 months later and broke even.
3- 94 3.6 turbo S flatnose (968 style front end) I was very high up on the list, got the car right sold it at a small loss 1 year later.
4- 96 993 Turbo I had one of the first, kept it for 5 months sold it and got a little over what I paid.
5- 97 993 Turbo still have it (probably the greatest car they ever built).
6- 01 996 turbo the second car champion porsche sold I had probably one of the earliest cars delivered (it was actually titled as a 00), kept it one year, put 4k miles on it and got my ASS HANDED TO ME ON A PLATE! I lost over $50k on that car!

Any porsche after the 993 will not hold its value at all. To answer the subject of this post, buy anything but the porsche turbo. #1 because you will lose your ass on the car, #2 you'll see yourself coming and going every day. The pre 996 production #s were so low that there was a level of exclusivity to the car, post 996 cars are a dime a dozen. 996 Turbos can be purchased in the high $50's now! There are 993 turbos that are bringing more money!

I say get the GT, keep one stock and mod the hell out of the other one!

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Interesting decision. Ablofaz couldn't have said it better about the Porsche situation IMO.

FORDGT001 said:
I figure there are going be alot of low mile GT's floating around for quite a while if I want a second GT.

That would be a very good hypothesis.

Honestly, I'd get another GT unless you need a daily driver or big road trip kind of car. To me the GT lacks 3 basic things:

1) Daily driveability/long distancing for most consumers.
2) Luggage capacity (just an extension of #1)
3) All weather driveability.

You already know where you're leaning and how the new purchase is going to be used a majority of the time.

Post pics of the new addition when the time comes...

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I see the 997 turbo pricing tanking, I don't see the Ford GT pricing doing anything but stabalizing in the near future, I really doubt were going to see a $130k GT any time soon (I hope never!).

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
abolfaz said:
I really doubt were going to see a $130k GT any time soon (I hope never!).

One sold used on Ebay due to divorce for 132K in 2005. Midnight blue car w/ all options.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
strange deal, not market price

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
californiacuda said:
strange deal, not market price

I have never heard of that price, that deal or anything close. For that matter, the dealer that I got my car from is trying to get my car back since their run on GT's has ended (they had as many as 4 at the same time within one month as well as the first one I had ever seen on the street last year!), they can't seem to find any for inventory!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
50 BMG said:
One sold used on Ebay due to divorce for 132K in 2005. Midnight blue car w/ all options.

Sorry to hear that, back to step 1.

BlackICE

Pipelion

50 BMG said:
Interesting decision. Ablofaz couldn't have said it better about the Porsche situation IMO.

That would be a very good hypothesis.

Honestly, I'd get another GT unless you need a daily driver or big road trip kind of car. To me the GT lacks 3 basic things:

1) Daily driveability/long distancing for most consumers.
2) Luggage capacity (just an extension of #1)
3) All weather driveability.

You already know where you're leaning and how the new purchase is going to be used a majority of the time.

Post pics of the new addition when the time comes...

I agree with you on Abolfaz being right on with the Turbos.

But besides no space for anything but money and a tooth brush, why don't you think the Ford is a crosscountry car?

One of 19, drives his in snow , sleet, and rain, Jeff just got back from a 4000 mile tour in rotten weather (even some snow snd slush).

All I've read here and elsewhere the F GT does great in rain.For what it's worth while crawling around on the ground like I do, the F GT has two more 1/2 inch groves in the rear tires than the C GT. These funnel water.

Love to hear your reasons.

Allan

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
There is an 03 tt for sale on ebay with 600+ hp 20k miles and tiptronic. Seems
like a nice daily driver, and most of the depreciation has already occured. Lots of options.