Average Prices for Gt's goin up!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
my 2 cents. If a NEW car is being considered with north of 10 miles, get the the VIN and post it here. There are enough Ford, Saleen, etc people here that someone can verify if it indeed was a 25 mi. "tested car".

There is too much that can go wrong in 20 miles (including damage/repairs) that any new owner should know about.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Test Drives

It's a Ford corporate standard to do a quality audit on randomly selected cars after final assembly. This includes a road test, and audit by trained inspectors.

On a normal car line, there may be as many as 15- 20 cars a day audited, in all weather conditions. Because of the low volume of the GT, we only tested 1 car a day, and only in good weather. (there were no drives in the rain or snow.) Over all, there may have been 300 or so cars that were audited. I would think someone at Ford world headquarters could track an audit car, but it would be a big task, and as it was an internal audit, it wouldn't be made public anyway. Any paper work involved would have been filed away somewhere, or destroyed when the program ended. The first 50 cars we built were taken to the proving grounds, and tested there. There was a special letter stating this included with each of the 50 cars tested.

As I mentioned, we put mileage stickers on the cars we drove as the speedometers were always connected, but if the dealer had put more on it, they might just pitch the sticker.

Pockets, can you imagine they only paid us the same as everyone else!!

As far as counseling goes, I get my therapy every day went I get on this forum. :thumbsup

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I got to ride along on one of the 25-mile test drives (GT Tech, not sure if you were the person I rode with...). It was pretty awesome because in June of 2005 Ford GTs were still a pretty rare sight, so you can imagine what it was like to drive on public roads around Wixom and have people looking (and waving, and honking, and taking photos, and nearly crashing). It was a yellow car the day I rode along, so the "Look at me!" factor was about as high as it gets.

And yes, it was pretty hard to imagine someone getting PAID to do that "job" on the Ford GT program, but more power to the lucky two who did it!

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Enzo,

It could have been ether one of us. We are both short and have gray hair, although John had a few more pounds than I did. Hope you enjoyed the ride. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Pockets, can you imagine they only paid us the same as everyone else!!

As far as counseling goes, I get my therapy every day went I get on this forum. :thumbsup

Ha! 'Got news fer yuh! If you're on this Forum site every day YUR GUNNA NEED COUNCILING!

(Your humble scribe ought to know...)

gtracer

GT Owner
Oct 13, 2006
Homer Glen, IL.
ladies and gentlemen....................... only those of us that own the GT's can control the pricing/ JMO

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I'm not mistaken, didn't most of the cars with "test" miles also come with a letter stating so? I think there's some old posts on this.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If I'm not mistaken, didn't most of the cars with "test" miles also come with a letter stating so? I think there's some old posts on this.

YUP. THEY DID.