Autoweek Sources: GT return, Le Mans effort “confirmed”

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What needs to change in our GT's to meet current regulations? An entirely new roof or even more than that?

I don't know about the door cuts. Frankly I don't see them as much different than a t-top. All safety things like the electronic nannies (traction and stability control) would be required. Aren't backup cameras coming as required too?

side air bags

For creature comforts blind spot detectors would be swell. Cruise control too

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
...unless it was done on the dark side of the moon it would seem me the cars would have been sighted by the guys with their spy cameras.

That's what I was looking for. I didn't catch that you thought it would be done in such a short time because you view it as unlikely it could be kept a secret. Understood.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Can anyone tell me why Ford cannot campaign the our FGT with an updated 5.0 motor with the flat plane crank?

Is the FGT unable to be made competitive anymore?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Can anyone tell me why Ford cannot campaign the our FGT with an updated 5.0 motor with the flat plane crank?

Is the FGT unable to be made competitive anymore?

Waxer, the new engine Ford is introducing in the GT350 is NOT a 5.0L engine. The new Mustang engine DOES however have a flat plane crankshaft.

So why would the new GT350 Mustang engine (or a 5.0L engine as you post) necessarily be the selected powerplant for a new FGT design?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Indy, I thought only the GT350 got the Flat Plane? Are you saying all V8 Mustangs will get it?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Indy, I thought only the GT350 got the Flat Plane? Are you saying all V8 Mustangs will get it?

I think what he's trying to say is that the GT350 has the FPC but is not a 5.0L.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I think what he's trying to say is that the GT350 has the FPC but is not a 5.0L.

Exactly.
Thanks DBK.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No problem, I just fired up the translator and set input:Bill and output:Steve. :lol

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
You are correct. Thanks. It is actually a 5.2 liter.

It is by all accounts an amazing lump. Revs to 8000 rpm. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't use it.

Can anyone help me here. I am lost as to why they (Ford) can't still get behind the FGT and campaign it with a new motor like the 5.2 fpc.?????

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Can anyone help me here. I am lost as to why they (Ford) can't still get behind the FGT and campaign it with a new motor like the 5.2 fpc.?????

Yeah. Campaign slogan: "Because we haven't thought of anything better in 10 years."

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Racing in the FIA is pretty biased towards turbocharging and is naturally biased towards direct injection engines. The 5.0L and all it's derivations are neither of those two things.

Last year Toyota threw a hissy fit after like two races and said they essentially had chance of winning in LMP1 against the Audi TDI entries, which has to be a pretty bitter pill to swallow when you're blowing $100 million on that class. Of course, the rules change all the time with all the balance of performance stuff, but I think it's pretty unlikely the FIA does anything to change the general tilt, as it follow the trends production automakers are following.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
LM GTE class vehicles are limited to 5.5L for naturally aspirated and 4.0L for boosted. (The 8.0L viper is granted an exception.)

I would expect them to use the smaller displacement turbo for the simple reason of weight. The amount of fuel is fixed so you want to maximize power:weight ratio.

Homologation would allow the street car to have a different power plant than the race version.

Does the Ford GT's trunk actually meet the rules? Remember the early Cobras where they took the regulation suitcase and slammed the lid (aluminum) to get it to fit. They also had to carry a spare tire. I remember seeing a video of the Daytona Coupe pit stop and someone's job was to pull the spare tire, bounce it, and put it back. Apparently part of the ritual.

Last edited:

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I'm beginning to think maybe they will do a Daytona Coupe type car for LeMans. Maybe????. They already have the new Mustang IRS platform and the new 5.2 liter fpc engine. That car would directly compete with the Vette and Viper.

I don't know. Just stabbing out in the dark here.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
No problem, I just fired up the translator and set input:Bill and output:Steve. :lol

LOL!:biggrin

That was good! Are Steve and I THAT bad???

You are correct. Thanks. It is actually a 5.2 liter. It is by all accounts an amazing lump. Revs to 8000 rpm. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't use it.

That’s fine. Just did not want disinformation leading to owners thinking the 5.0 was being reintroduced with a FPC. This is a big engine undertaking due to the balancing challenges. And though it's design roots come from the Coyote series, it is a new engine.

There are a significant amount of dynamic considerations using the new FPC engine. Because of engine vibrations which need to be damped, the engine requires a number of innovative dampening systems to be incorporated. Some dampening systems will be within the engine (i.e. reference to a/the balance shaft) and/or dampening treatments at the motor mounts and possibly the vehicle itself. These may be active or passive systems. We will have to see as we learn more on the GT350.

This can be gleaned from the interview (believe it was Jamal) when asked when the 5.2 would be available as a “crate engine”. IMO this is unlikely due to the secondary dampening necessary from outside sources (vehicle) which installers or potential crate users will find hard to accomplish to any level of driver/racer satisfaction.

Ford certainly could use this engine in a new FGT platform as they know how to attenuate the vibration problems using the GT350 experience. But for packaging and weight considerations they could use other engine options as well.

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
Can't wait to see this thing....and own 1 or 2! :)