Autometer direct fit replacement gauges - Orders accepted beginning Monday 11/10/2014

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I cannot see buying individual gauges since sooner or later they are all going to go! I think for the "long time owners" buying a set only makes sense. I still believe tach and speedo are to follow. I also believe after the initial rush long term prices and availability are unknown

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
This whole thing seems such a mystery to me. Far as I can tell, no one knows the reason. I have had dozens of cars and never recall a bad gauge. Just the other day I started my 22 year old Viper and all gauges are fine.

I had relatively fresh batteries in my GTs. Two gauges started to fail and Shelby saved me. He couldn't swear it would work but said go buy two new batteries and keep them on tenders. The two gauges revived and remain ok.

At this point I see this as a supplier, rather than Ford issue . The vendor should make all gauges and sell them at a discount. If mine go, they will hear from me I assure you.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Ford OEM tender 24/7/365

Battery lasts 6-8yrs min & I think helps gauges

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
I think they might be baiting the market with the 2-5/8 gauges to see how many they sell before building the Tach and Speedo. But wouldn't it make sense that they would sell many more gauges as ‘sets’? Who wouldn't want to replace them all at one time? Rock and a hard place.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
.... But wouldn't it make sense that they would sell many more gauges as ‘sets’?

The common sense angle expired I'm afraid. I'm planning on ordering a set just as a back up, a search on their website yielded " We're sorry, there are no results matching your query"

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
At this point I see this as a supplier, rather than Ford issue . The vendor should make all gauges and sell them at a discount. If mine go, they will hear from me I assure you.

If mine go bad again at the same time as yours - I'll let you know as you can add my name to the request...

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
I got an email back from Brett at Auto Meter. Regarding warranty, same as their other products, 1 year. Regarding a price break for the set of 5, no. Regarding future plans on the tach & speedo, "We have no official plans on developing a stepper motor tach and
speedometer at this time, and SVT declined our quoted price to produce same."

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I'm guessing AM doesn't want to take on this endeavor unless it makes sense for them dollar wise. My gauges work but I'll assume that's just temporary, and I'd like to put this mess behind me. If someone here has a relationship with Brett and can find out what the magic number is for his team to put forth the effort on the larger gauges lets offer AM a group buy and get it done.

Yes its more money but I'd rather have the piece of mind than a few extra dollars in my pocket.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I'm guessing AM doesn't want to take on this endeavor unless it makes sense for them dollar wise. My gauges work but I'll assume that's just temporary, and I'd like to put this mess behind me. If someone here has a relationship with Brett and can find out what the magic number is for his team to put forth the effort on the larger gauges lets offer AM a group buy and get it done. Yes its more money but I'd rather have the piece of mind than a few extra dollars in my pocket.

As per my conversation with Ralphie, I did have the opportunity to speak with Brett at SEMA. Perhaps before we enter the world of 'cost' of a new tooled part (speedomoter and tachometer), we might want to mutually agree what we would expect from Auto Meter (the 'solution'). A review of the pertinant product facts:

1) There is no known or accepted 'root cause' that I am aware of - please correct me if I am wrong.
2) If there is no known 'root cause' for the failures, then you unfortunately default to tooling a part with 'best intentions' that the new part will be more acceptable than the current set of alternatives (OEM or Speedhut) - Or - that it will work as originally intended. Which may be different outcomes until you validate the proposed re-design.
3) Absent known 'root cause' data, the subject re-design would likely incorporate design modifications/solutions for the known 'failure modes' that were gathered from the +30 gauges sent for study. Examples of these are; voltage spikes, low/no voltage, battery performance, etc.
4) Importantly, all involved would have to concur that the operating characteristics of the proposed new 'solution' would be acceptable - e.g. discussion in the forum as mixed views on stepper motor solutions; e.g. is a step-sweep motion acceptable in the tach/speedo?

As you may conclude from the above considerations, I didn't pursue quantifying tooling cost - you need to know the product before you commit to a number.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Well AM feels comfortable enough to release a smaller gauge solution based on a different principle/mechanism. Can't they just extrapolate a cost off of that for the larger gauges?

If they have a problem with the bezel maybe they can offer a retrofit solution where we send in our Speedo and Tach......I'm good with that too.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
If you want a matched set of gauges, Autometer's or Speedhut's, the lack of a new Autometer tach/speedo makes any Autometer replacement gauge a risk. I think Autometer would sell more Ford GT gauges of all types if they offered the tach and speedo also. Frankly, I'd be afraid to buy one of the small AM replacement gauges knowing that one of my big gauges might die soon afterwards, leaving me with a mismatched set.

Howard

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Well AM feels comfortable enough to release a smaller gauge solution based on a different principle/mechanism. Can't they just extrapolate a cost off of that for the larger gauges?

Yes, I am sure that they can do that.

As I mentioned above, you need to certain that you find the 'stepper' movement acceptable and that it will not fail, in the above noted variety of failure modes that owners have experienced.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
If you want a matched set of gauges, Autometer's or Speedhut's, the lack of a new Autometer tach/speedo makes any Autometer replacement gauge a risk. I think Autometer would sell more Ford GT gauges of all types if they offered the tach and speedo also. Frankly, I'd be afraid to buy one of the small AM replacement gauges knowing that one of my big gauges might die soon afterwards, leaving me with a mismatched set.

Howard

Yes, I passed along that same observation/expressed desire.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Be careful what you ask for. I do not think many here would find a stepper motor tach acceptable in practice. At least not the ones I have seen.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
While I truly appreciate all efforts that were made to get this to happen, as a paying member of the failed tach brigade, I'm not all that thrilled. By "paying member" I mean I bought an exorbitantly priced Ford replacement tach but have not put it in yet. I have no reason to believe the new one won't fail too. Seems the best plan of action is still speed hut for a full set of matching gauges. At least I'd still have a full set of factory gauges that might work for a while if I ever decide to sell. I've done the waiting game and now it seems AM has let us down.

As stated in other posts, so far my temp gauge and tach have failed.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Usually, if you are not intimately involved, this type of ad could fool you.

But, this is...this is...damn....this is just so sad.

Missing is..."Our OEM gauges sucked...yes, sucked worse than any gauges in automotive history.. but!...we think you should buy these to replace our shitty OEM gauges."

"No longer need to compromise." Get the **** out of here!

Does that sum it up?

I was feeling ok about the new gauges...until this ad.

I feel the same... They failed to mention they made the orginals... :facepalm::facepalm:

My Opinion (everyone has one, just like an a_____le):

1) Autometer made bad gauges for the original Ford purchase for the GT. But, they won't admit any fault to providing an unreliable product.

2) Autometer now wants to sell us new gauges at a price that some are objectional to - yet we have asked for replacement gauges at a price lower than Ford replacement prices, and they have done this.

3) Autometer is not planning to remake the most visible and most expensive gauges, the tachometer and the speedometer - I find this to totally unsatisfactory, as their original units are as defective as the small units.

4) Ford signed off on the original units, which have been found to be defective - thus Ford should take a portion of the responsibility for (1) the replacement price, and (2) that replacements must be generated for all of the original defective units, i.e. the tachometer and speedometer. Whether this responsibility is to demand that Autometer provide replacement units at a fair price, or provide the necessary cost to retool these units to make them reliable, is up to Ford - yet, we need Ford to keep the pressure on Autometer to provide reliable solutions.

I know SpeedHut is an alternative, yet for those who have low mileage cars with bad gauges, and wish to keep them as examples of original equipment (believe me - I'm not one of them), I think that Autometer provided them with an inferior - no, actually defective - part.

As I have not had a failure, it could have come at any day - they know this, as do I. I will likely purchase their replacements as a hedge, but feel only 66% complete if I cannot also purchase the tachometer and speedometer.

Well written Ralphie but if they want to sell some sets we really need a Tach and Speedo.. My Red car has the speedo out it has about 700 miles on it... :bored:bored
Thanks DBK and all those who made this happen.. It's a step in the right direction but it's kind of useless without the two biggest gauges.. Maybe they can retro fit our existing gauges with some new guts??

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I agree with comment above (Chris A). What is the magic # of complete sets (including tach and speedo) committed to purchase would it take for them to do it (right)! Maybe we should hold out until complete set is available and promise a minimum order!

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Please make sure you have all the facts before you accuse Autometer of poor design. The original gauges were built to another's design.

I just tried to find the new gauges on the Autometer web page, but could not. The Autometer search function couldn't find them either. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can tell me how or where? How are they to be ordered?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
How can Speedhut warranty their gauges for life? My 1964 Ranchero has the original gauges! Maybe gauges can last a long time.

Ed