Auto Ship Enclosed or Open?

robt777

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 28, 2010
Florida & Ohio
I ship 3 or 4 cars twice a year between Florida and Ohio. I've always used enclosed carriers but lately have had reservations after watching drivers, on several occasions, crawl in and out of the drivers door window because of overly tight quarters. Discounting the possibility of hail, I don't see where shipping via open carrier is any worse than driving a car on the open road.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Here's a story to make your toes curl...

My 1975 landcruiser was delivered via open top. the dude first unloads a 1960's plymouth, then my truck.. then realizes the plymouth won't start... and his winch is out of service. well, there's NO WAY the two of us can push the car up... so his solution is to have me use my landcruiser...

Well, my landcruiser has a tow ball on the front bumper.. sticks out maybe 4 inches... I pointed that out to him.. He says... verbatim here... "Ahh, don't worry about it... this guy bought this car off of ebay, and he's never seen it. he won't know the damage wasn't there before.."

So i put my tlc in low 4 wd.. but then discover i have a transfer case issue, and can't get into 4wd.. so 2wd it is... but can't develop the torque necessary at such low speeds, so i end up doing about 5-6 slow running starts (maybe 4-8 mph) and ram the rear end of the car to get it all the way up the ramp!

Guy says thanks, and drives off... never hear back..

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Here's a story to make your toes curl...

My 1975 landcruiser was delivered via open top. the dude first unloads a 1960's plymouth, then my truck.. then realizes the plymouth won't start... and his winch is out of service. well, there's NO WAY the two of us can push the car up... so his solution is to have me use my landcruiser...

Well, my landcruiser has a tow ball on the front bumper.. sticks out maybe 4 inches... I pointed that out to him.. He says... verbatim here... "Ahh, don't worry about it... this guy bought this car off of ebay, and he's never seen it. he won't know the damage wasn't there before.."

So i put my tlc in low 4 wd.. but then discover i have a transfer case issue, and can't get into 4wd.. so 2wd it is... but can't develop the torque necessary at such low speeds, so i end up doing about 5-6 slow running starts (maybe 4-8 mph) and ram the rear end of the car to get it all the way up the ramp!

Guy says thanks, and drives off... never hear back..

awesome

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like we are about 50/50 here on the votes... There are arguments for both which I guess is why I had to ask the question.

Good conversation and info for someone in need nonetheless.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Door, to Door Transport will do it for just over $1000 enclosed, don't spend another $1000 to send it enclosed....

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I had my wife's Mini (brand new) shipped open from Cleveland to Arizona with absolutely no problem.