Auto Ship Enclosed or Open?

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
When shipping the GT or other collector/sports cars I have always shipped enclosed with the most reputable company I can deal with.

However, I am looking to ship a 'normal car' (4 door used BMW) from California to Florida and the price of enclosed shipping is a little harder to justify.

My question is: How much risk is there for the car to be damaged on an open carrier? I have never used one.

Can I justify $1000 extra to go enclosed? or will it be fine open after a detail when it gets here?

The car is low mileage, primo condition and I would hate for its only imperfections to happen during transport.

Thoughts?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
We shipped a c-6 Corvette from Orlando to Palm Springs. But not in the winter. No problems. He loaded the car 2nd from the front on the top row. He said that was the position least likely to have damage during transit. Car arrived just fine. A detailed inspection with the driver before loading, with photo's, and the same at the delivery end needs to be done.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Can I justify $1000 extra to go enclosed? or will it be fine open after a detail when it gets here?

The car is low mileage, PRIMO CONDITION and I would HATE for its ONLY IMPERFECTIONS to happen during transport.

I think you've answered your own question. What's worth more to you? $1K, or chewing your fingernails for a week?

That $1K COULD end up looking pretty small if anything actually did happen.

Pessimistic Pockets

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I would agree with EP, at least if it were my primo BMW.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
You could always buy a car cover for @ $150 and ship it in an open carrier with the cover on

H

HHGT

Someone can drive it even cheaper. I know there are specialty companies that deals with insurance type issues for connecting people that want cars moved.

On the topic of open or closed...All cars BMWs included arrive at dealerships in open containers when new.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
You could always buy a car cover for @ $150 and ship it in an open carrier with the cover on

Unfortunately the cover would do more damage to the car, unless it was completely taped against every part of the car, and most truckers would probably not allow you to do that anyways. I have shipped many cars from NY to La, open, and the cars arrived in good condition, dirty, but good. The only problem I see here is the fact that most truckers deliver the load at a particular place enroute, remove the cars, and re load them on another carrier completing the trip. As long as the trucker guarantees you that this will not happen, I would consider it. If you going to lose sleep over it, then again, you know what to do. Good luck with your shipment.

Gino

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I tried that once, and it was my experience that the wind had a tendency to cause a car cover to constantly flap or rub against the car's paint here & there no matter how well the cover was tied down.

(Besides, depending on where the car's located on the trailer and whether it's going to have to be moved once or twice during the haul, the driver may not want to mess with one...to say nothing with regard to how 'caring' he may be when re-securing it.)

'Just my $.02.

(Edit: Well, see what happens when you answer the phone before hitting "submit"?! You end up echoing someone who WASN'T on the phone!)

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A car cover on a moving car had just as well be coated inside with sand paper.

There is a wrapping material that I used on my Cobra when I towed it to Vegas. It's the same material that new autos come with on the exterior parts. It's white on the outside, black on the vehicle, self-sticking and leaves no residue. The particular one I got has trouble adhering well to a well-detailed (waxed) painted surface but I'm told there is one that adheres better

I also use it in place of a fender guard when working on the car - fender guards move around and track dust etc. too.

I found this stuff when I was at Shelby American - all of the Cobras are wrapped with this stuff while they are in the shop.

Edit: I'm not sure how this stuff works in rain...

Last edited:

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I shipped my 1986 Mustang Convert on an open truck from MN to FL with a repuatble shipper. All went well until the car arrived and the truck driver decided to "clean it up a bit" before I picked it up. His clean up put a bunch of small circular scratches on my vinyl hood stripe that couldn't be fixed. Rest of the car buffed out fine. Make sure if you do ship it open that it is made clear you don't want any one touching the finish, you want to be the one that cleans it when it arrives. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go enclosed. Not for a car I was going to daily drive, though.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Unfortunately the cover would do more damage to the car, unless it was completely taped against every part of the car, and most truckers would probably not allow you to do that anyways. I have shipped many cars from NY to La, open, and the cars arrived in good condition, dirty, but good. The only problem I see here is the fact that most truckers deliver the load at a particular place enroute, remove the cars, and re load them on another carrier completing the trip. As long as the trucker guarantees you that this will not happen, I would consider it. If you going to lose sleep over it, then again, you know what to do. Good luck with your shipment.

Gino
Good point, I see Audi's shipped from the port all in car covers on the open auto carrier, and yes, they're taped.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Good point, I see Audi's shipped from the port all in car covers on the open auto carrier, and yes, they're taped.

Dont you just love it when everyone agrees? LOL

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Dont you just love it when everyone agrees? LOL
I'd argue with you if I thought you didn't know what you're talking about, but you always have to consider the "source"!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I shipped from Boston to Montreal, brand new in an open carrier in winter too, with no issue at all...same as the way they are normally shipped from the manufacturer. I wouldn't do that with my GT, but I have with other cars.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...All cars BMWs included arrive at dealerships in open containers when new.

Our FGTs were delieved in a enclosed trailer to the dealers.

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL

I think he meant all new BMWs not all cars...

I've always shipped my daily drivers open, never had an issue - panamera, range rover, jeep, etc. If the weather is good they arrive looking just like they would if i drove them or better. When i got my range rover it was new and detailed before shipping but the driver was caught in a rainstorm so when i picked it up it was dirty but whatever its daily driver and its gonna get dirty eventually. ive never done it (nor would i) with my other non DD cars.

H

HHGT

You're just a trouble maker...:box::screwy:

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Open or Closed, just don't use DAS!!!!! They ended up trashing my Hertz Shelby

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
And unless they have changed Dodge delivered Vipers in Reliable enclosed trailers. (at least most of mine)

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
I saw a car hauler headed the other direction on the highway with a bimmer on the top above the cab loaded backwards. For some reason the passenger door was bent back against the front fender. Enclosed transport for me after that.

Last edited: