Audio System and Head Unit Photos

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
If I want to go on ride and listen to the stereo I simply slip in my muffler tips. If I want to clear the deck, I take them out.:rofl

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Why would I want to replace a cheap $120 sanyo stock head unit? Seems obvious to me, but one reason is a built in NAV system. No extra cords or screens cluttering up the interior. Not having to carry a wad of CDs with me is another.

Why would I replace the head unit in a $150K car? I like working on my stuff. To me owning a car is more than "just" driving it. I don't pay someone to wax it for me either... but hey, that's just me.

Sound quality isn't really a factor. Integration is.

Last edited:

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Why would I want to replace a cheap $120 sanyo stock head unit? Seems obvious to me, but one reason is a built in NAV system. No extra cords or screens cluttering up the interior. Not having to carry a wad of CDs with me is another.

Why would I replace the head unit in a $150K car? I like working on my stuff. To me owning a car is more than "just" driving it. I don't pay someone to wax it for me either... but hey, that's just me.

Sound quality isn't really a factor. Integration is.

I can see you replaced the head for reasons beyond audio. Regarding DIY enjoyment, I'm afraid you are far braver than me in that area. Sure I love it too, but I'd rather give it guys that do it for a living and who are going to do it carefully and not potentially damage or miss anything along the way on a car like the GT especially.
I don't wash/wax my cars myself either, mainly due to it being a compete pain in the ass to do it in the apartment block I live in. Mind you when I get a serious wax done it's a full paint protection job done by professional detailers who use the right equipment and spend all day on it. Frankly, even for washing effort vs cost of my own time, I'd rather pay a hand wash place $20 to do my cars.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I guess it all comes down to priorities.

Why would I replace a cheap factory head unit in a $150K car? For the same reasons I'd replace one in a $15K car. BECAUSE I CAN.

As I said, paying someone else to do the job makes me nervous because the potential for damage exists no matter who is doing it -- even an "audio guy" isn't infallable. The "damage" my car suffered during the install was very minor -- so minor that I could have said none occurred and if you saw the car in person you'd believe me. Does this mean that "audio guys" sometimes damage their customers' cars without the owners knowing. Not necessarily...probably...

Regardless, I had the ability, I had the time, and I enjoyed learning more about my GT in the process. Knowledge is power, and understanding your car (be it a 1970 Dodge Challenger or a 2005 Ford GT) only puts you in a better position for your ownership experience, especially if you are a long-term owner and not a speculator planning to flip it.

As for sound quality, don't let the name fool you -- the "upgraded" McIntosh isn't exactly an aural treat. As you said, the speakers in the GT aren't good enough to make any head unit sound good, and the car's noise levels further ensure you won't be experiencing sound nirvana. While I like being able to hear the music I pick (thus the reason I liked the JVC's harddrive, MP3 ability and Satellite radio), I don't plan on hearing HIGH-QUALITY sound in the GT. I get plenty of that from my Citation series Harman/Kardon and DCM Time Windows at home. Add in the JVC's Bluetooth and Navigation, all without an additional monitor or other bolt-ons, and the head unit was quite a bargain at $680.

I also do my own detailing on the GT, both because there is no better way to understand/appreciate a car's design (and the GT is among the best designs ever), and because I feel the same way about professional detailers as I do about professional "audio men." Both of them are supposed to be doing a thorough and high-quality job, but unless I stand over their shoulder the whole time I'm having to take most of it on faith. And if I'm going to stand over their shoulder I might as well do it myself and get some physical activity while I'm at it.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I agree with the reasoning of Enzo Btr 100%. I have seen too many screw ups from people is hire to do work. My mottos are:

You cannot hire good help at any price.
Good help is priceless.
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Of course this only applies you have have the skill and time to do the job. I don't ever plan on doing brain surgery on myself.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I guess it all comes down to priorities.

"Why would I replace a cheap factory head unit in a $150K car? For the same reasons I'd replace one in a $15K car. BECAUSE I CAN."

"As I said, paying someone else to do the job makes me nervous because the potential for damage exists no matter who is doing it -- even an "audio guy" isn't infallable. "

"Regardless, I had the ability, I had the time, and I enjoyed learning more about my GT in the process. Knowledge is power, and understanding your car "

"I don't plan on hearing HIGH-QUALITY sound in the GT. I get plenty of that from my Citation series Harman/Kardon and DCM Time Windows at home. Add in the JVC's Bluetooth and Navigation, all without an additional monitor or other bolt-ons, and the head unit was quite a bargain at $680."

"I also do my own detailing on the GT, both because there is no better way to understand/appreciate a car's design (and the GT is among the best designs ever)"

"And if I'm going to stand over their shoulder I might as well do it myself and get some physical activity while I'm at it".

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Karl - sorry I "qouted" your post but simply put that is what I saw and taken to heart - I'm with ya brother....

:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
I think that you did wonderfully and the fact that you even considered much less took on the project deserves a huge "THUMBS UP"

Takes care

Shadowman

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
I agree with the reasoning of Enzo Btr 100%. I have seen too many screw ups from people is hire to do work. My mottos are:

You cannot hire good help at any price.
Good help is priceless.
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Of course this only applies you have have the skill and time to do the job. I don't ever plan on doing brain surgery on myself.

The guys I use have been in the business for over 20 years and have done every thing from a BMWs,Mustangs,F-150s,Jeeps, to my Merc SL55 for me and a Bentley for my old man recently. I haven't come across more precise and fastidious installers who don't take short cuts or do 'bush' installs. If they don't know exactly how a panel comes off for example they find out from a dealer or the best source. As another example they will also always replace factory retention clips where needed and often find evidence where other installers have been careless in that regard. I've always been impressed with their results and often the ingenuity used to solve issues that often come up in seemly 'simple' installs.

Maybe it's because I've been a car audio enthuiast since the early 90's and dealt with many installers as well as owned sound comp winning installs that I know what to look for in an installer. Through this experience I also know how easy it is to make a slip trying to DIY, even when it appears to be a piece of cake. I build PCs and restore pinball machines for fun, so as I mentioned before I'm not adverse to DIY with a lot of stuff. So as much as people can say, ahh damn installers can't trust them they might screw up my interior, I say I'd rather it fall to them where I have some recourse than in my own lap with only myself to blame for F*cking up my $150k limited ed car!

Last edited:

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
Solution for Speed Sensor

Well it took a bit but it's working!!

The Ford GT does not have a VSS (Speed Sensor) we got the schematics today from Ford.
and Can not pick up a strong enough signal from the Lead going to the ABS computer.

So we bought a Alpine Speed sensor unit
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=NVE-K300

This solved all of the problems - we are in business now!!

JVC is working fine. just takes bit of driving to activate the speed sensor for calibration the first time!!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I always work on my own sound systems. For starters, most of the shops in So Cal have horrible installers. There are a few out there that I would trust my car with, like Reus. I have personally installed hundreds of systems, from the ground up. I have installed an entire system in the dark once. Car audio is a passion for me. I got lazy with my F150, and took it to a local shop that sells some high end equipment. Well, after I got home, I had to retune the entire system, which ended up sounding at least 100X better than what they did for me.

For those of you that think that the upgraded Mac system is great, I got one word for you, Clarion! That is who makes the Mac. I personally do not care for Mac, and it will be going soon enough. I don't care for JVC either, so I will not go that route as well. I will do some custom fabricating and figure a way to get the unit I want in there. I will be replacing every part of the stock system, including wiring, headunit, speakers, and sub.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
For those of you that think that the upgraded Mac system is great, I got one word for you, Clarion! That is who makes the Mac. I personally do not care for Mac, and it will be going soon enough. I don't care for JVC either, so I will not go that route as well. I will do some custom fabricating and figure a way to get the unit I want in there. I will be replacing every part of the stock system, including wiring, headunit, speakers, and sub.

For me, in theory at least the Clarion Mac should be the lesser of 2 evils. I will reserve that judgement till my car is delivered. Worst case It'll be coming out and something better will go in. I dare say the speakers will be the first area attacked im my car, which goes hand in hand with the wiring, anytime I've had a stock system modified. Anyway, what'll be doing specifically to the audio is all conjecture at this point as I haven't heard the Mac system yet.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA

what is this thing? where on the car do you put it? The brief description says:

"Universal speed pulse generator generates a speed pulse using the steel belt in the tire"

Is it like the system for road bikes that watches the wheel spin round?

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I finally got around to removing the sanyo radio. I took 15 minutes and made 2 tools based on the picture from the sanyo manual. It took longer to put tape on the console than to remove the radio! The tool was made out of an old hacksaw blade.:biggrin Notice how the tool causes the little tooth to retract from the bottom of the radio.

sanyo_tools_001_Medium_.jpg

sanyo_tools_003_Medium_.jpg

sanyo_tools_005_Medium_.jpg

Hope this helps other sanyo owners, as this doesn't apply to the mac.

Last edited:

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
balfas, Thanks for the Alpine NVE-K300 tip. It made me start looking for alternatives. (you can't tell I'm cheap can you. :wink )
Looks like Pioneer makes the same thing ND-PG1. Both are expensive. Audiovox 2504165 is cheap, but I don't know if it will work in our application.

Enzo or balfas,
Did you try the signal from the trans (output shaft speed) or any of the ABS wheel sensors before the ABS module?

My last hope is pin 20 on the PCM connector Gy/Bk VSS signal wire..not sure if it I can get to it. If this doesn't work, the only other speed options is a pulse generator.

Last edited:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I never listen to the stereo in my cars as I love to hear the engine, so I have not got around to seriously thinking about upgrading yet.

Roc - keep us posted and maybe when I get my car back and you get the stereo done, I will have to come out to the coast! :cheers

I do have crazy stereos in both of my daily drivers though :biggrin

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I ordered the Alpine speed pulse generator a week ago, but it still hasn't shown up. :bang I finally called the shop today and they told me it shipped Monday (claimed a PayPal hold kept them from shipping earlier). The shop is only about 70 miles from me, so it better get here tomorrow (actually today, as it's 12:45 a.m. right now...).

I'll let you all know how it works (IF it shows up).

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
It Works!!

I got the Alpine NVE-K300 speed-pulse generator on Thursday, and I installed it Friday afternoon. I feel like Doc Brown -- "It works!!! I finally invented something that works!!" MAJOR props to Balfas for letting me know about it!

Yes, it's an Alpine and the head unit is a JVC, but they work happily together and installation is easy (power, ground, speed-pulse lead). How does it work? You take the magical magnetic wand and rub one side of it on half the rear tire. Then you rub the other side of the wand on the other side of the tire. This "magnetizes" one-half the tire and "de-magnetizes" the other half, creating a pulse that the NVE-K300 picks up and translates into a speed reading.

The unit is pretty small and light, but it has to be installed near the tire, so that basically means behind the seats (it's supposed to go in the trunk -- but on the GT...). It can't go completely under the seat, but close. Now the system is getting an accurate speed reading, and the advanced features of the navigation system rival just about any factory or aftermarket system I've used (and I've used a lot of them). Now I just need to get lost.

Attachments

• Alpine1 blog.jpg
    Alpine1 blog.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Alpine2 blog.jpg
    Alpine2 blog.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 270
  • Ford GT navigation2 blog.jpg
    Ford GT navigation2 blog.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I got the Alpine NVE-K300 speed-pulse generator on Thursday, and I installed it Friday afternoon. I feel like Doc Brown -- "It works!!! I finally invented something that works!!" MAJOR props to Balfas for letting me know about it!

Yes, it's an Alpine and the head unit is a JVC, but they work happily together and installation is easy (power, ground, speed-pulse lead). How does it work? You take the magical magnetic wand and rub one side of it on half the rear tire. Then you rub the other side of the wand on the other side of the tire. This "magnetizes" one-half the tire and "de-magnetizes" the other half, creating a pulse that the NVE-K300 picks up and translates into a speed reading.

The unit is pretty small and light, but it has to be installed near the tire, so that basically means behind the seats (it's supposed to go in the trunk -- but on the GT...). It can't go completely under the seat, but close. Now the system is getting an accurate speed reading, and the advanced features of the navigation system rival just about any factory or aftermarket system I've used (and I've used a lot of them). Now I just need to get lost.

Very nice install, looks great, love your signature!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Karl, it's been one month since you started this endeavour. Congrats! You now have the one of smallest mobile "Home Entertainment Systems" fully operational. How is the DVD player? Can' be worse than watching something on an iPOD

The only problem is that the GT is not a "camper/ apartment" but I'm sure that you will enjoy it to the fullest potential. Once again - congrats. Can't wait to see it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
MAD, you're stuttering.