Ask the GT DOC

xraygt

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2006
checking oil level

When I check dipstick level with engine cold [a few hours or even days since running] the oil level is at normal range and almost the same as when checking level within one minute of shut down after driving. Ithought the oil would drain down if sitting cold? when looking into center section of resevoir, there is no oil above plate but dipstick shows correct level. Is it normal for dipstick reading to be almost same whether cold or just after shutdown? thanks Mark

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
When I check dipstick level with engine cold [a few hours or even days since running] the oil level is at normal range and almost the same as when checking level within one minute of shut down after driving. Ithought the oil would drain down if sitting cold? when looking into center section of resevoir, there is no oil above plate but dipstick shows correct level. Is it normal for dipstick reading to be almost same whether cold or just after shutdown? thanks Mark

Mark bing that the GT oil system is a dry sump the oil in the reservoir is going to be very close to what it would be if the engine has not been started for a few days. the oil for the engine is stored in the reservoir and pumped by an external pump into the engine and pushed thru the engine back to the reservoir.:thumbsup

DBP

Jan 28, 2007
Central Florida
Lug bolt torque

What is the torque setting for tightening the lug bolts, assuming a half-inch torque wrench with six inch extension and standard socket. Thanks in advance, Debbie.

svtowner

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 2, 2006
GT Doc:
1. I have 2 areas in louvers on the eng cover that white stripe paint has popped off, ~5-6mm in dia. It is in the corners where the louvers transition from horz to vert louver frame. '06 #1545. Best way to fix?
2. How do you get the wheel covers off the std rim ie. none light weight wheel?
3.Pass side inner door release handle. When squeezing the inner release handle to open door, a terrible popping noise occurs like the mechanism is really straining to release and then suddenly lets loose (pop) and the door opens. The driver side is opens with a high quality sound, no issue.
Thanks
SVTOWNER

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

2. How do you get the wheel covers off the std rim ie. none light weight wheel?...

SVTOWNER

I can tell you this is a bit of a pain. You need to push in on the center cap pretty hard and twist just the center piece counter-clockwise. Once you hit the first stop you need to press even harder to clear it and twist further counter clockwise. When you hit the next stop the center piece will pop off into your hand revealing a black "handle" that you then unscrew from the wheel revealing the lug nuts. I have a difficult time getting enough finger tip traction on the center with my bare fingers to do this. Wearing a rubber glove helps a bunch.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When I come down and see you guys in April, I'll bring some rubber gloves and show other things you can do with them!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Be gentle, and buy them a drink first :ack

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Motorcraft Spark Plugs

Hey Doc, what is the difference between the AGSF12FM1 & AGSF22FM1 Motorcraft Spark Plugs. My GT had the 22's originally but the dealer gave me 12's as replacements. Will the 12's be ok? Thanks :confused

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
When I come down and see you guys in April, I'll bring some rubber gloves and show other things you can do with them!

Frank- You're scaring me...None of us live in South Beach.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
What is the torque setting for tightening the lug bolts, assuming a half-inch torque wrench with six inch extension and standard socket. Thanks in advance, Debbie.

98lbs - ft or 133 nm. this is the spec.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
GT Doc:
1. I have 2 areas in louvers on the eng cover that white stripe paint has popped off, ~5-6mm in dia. It is in the corners where the louvers transition from horz to vert louver frame. '06 #1545. Best way to fix?
2. How do you get the wheel covers off the std rim ie. none light weight wheel?
3.Pass side inner door release handle. When squeezing the inner release handle to open door, a terrible popping noise occurs like the mechanism is really straining to release and then suddenly lets loose (pop) and the door opens. The driver side is opens with a high quality sound, no issue.
Thanks
SVTOWNER

Number 1. sand and repaint the louvers (they are removable) possible warranty.

Number 2. to remove the cap.

Remove the center cap in 3 stages:
Stage 1: Rotate the escutcheon counterclockwise to the stop.
Stage 2: Push and rotate the escutcheon counterclockwise to the second stop and remove.
Stage 3: Rotate the center cap insert counterclockwise.

number 3. suspect the latch or the cable to it is binding .

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tunedup, why does the Technical Service Manual say the torque is 111?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Wheel Torque Spec

Tunedup, why does the Technical Service Manual say the torque is 111?

Frank,

The GT GUY tells me 100 ft. lbs.

They said there are quite a few errors in the Service Manual.

Fred

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Hey Doc, what is the difference between the AGSF12FM1 & AGSF22FM1 Motorcraft Spark Plugs. My GT had the 22's originally but the dealer gave me 12's as replacements. Will the 12's be ok? Thanks :confused

The plugs are a better heat range for the engine (more efficient)

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Frank,

The GT GUY tells me 100 ft. lbs.

They said there are quite a few errors in the Service Manual.

Fred

The current on line manual states it as 98 but 100 to 110 is not a problem. especially when you like to spin them.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you for clearing that up. Spirit, I guess I'm going to have to trust you a little more. FJP

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thank you for clearing that up. Spirit, I guess I'm going to have to trust you a little more. FJP

Gee, Thanks Dad.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
any questions?

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Doc,

Even my inside FGT parts guy doesn't know oil service quart refill capacity with filter change...
How many qts of the good stuff?
:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
9 1/2 quarts.