Are all trickle chargers equal?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Here we go again! I try keeping all my fleet of cars on ' trickle chargers" when not in regular use. I must say I have replaced very few batteries over the years! I seem to have collected 2 types: more expensive "maintenance" chargers who claim not to overcharge the battery. And the cheaper "trickle charger" which I suspect gives a constant charge. (ie Ford GTs). I recently was having some battery issues with my 2010 BMW motorcycle and the dealer said because I left it constantly on the "trickle charger" ( a sears product meant for motorcycles but the "cheaper" variety) and the battery could not "recycle". His suggestion was to "cycle the charger on and off so the battery could recycle as well?!!

My question is are the " maintenance chargers" any better or safer? And are our Ford inexpensive trickle chargers doing our batteries in? Hence maybe also adding to the gauge problems!! I hate to bring this subject up again, but i am confused about these chargers!!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
You want a "float" charger, not a trickle charger.......

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've never used the Ford GT charger which came with the car, I do use a Battery Tinder plus on all my cars and have never had a problem with any battery. I do change out my GT battery every 2-3 years just to be safe. I keep the battery tinder on my cars all the time I'm not driving them.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Battery Tender Plus !

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Battery Tender Jr.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Battery tender plus, is a whole $46 on amazon. I think I have 6 of them.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I use Battery tenders on all my cars but really prefer the Jr. model as they are used to maintain and not charge. I like the size better and they work fine for me.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Ctek ftw

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If this is a survey, Battery Tender Jr.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
For what it's worth.....I have battery tenders on everything including large heavy equipment units sitting on the shelf. My father is still running the Optima battery I put in his '55 T-bird over 20 yrs ago ( when they first came out). I am assuming the floater has had something to do with it.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Battery Tender Plus with the pigtails and the connector hard-mounted in the grille.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Battery Tenders fail alot; I stored at 100+ collector car garage and they were throwing them away all the time.
If there is a surge or power outage, they hang up and must be unplugged to reset.

The biggest risk with all chargers is failing to use one....ie, turning it on

The tender Jr @ $25 is easiest in use and puts out 750 miliamps

The FORD OEM is also 750 miliamps and wih 25ft cord is the smallest /easiest in use

Gotta plug in for it to work....and many don't pop hood, put off, forget

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have had excellent results with the Auto Meter Battery Extender.
Have 10 of them.
Mark

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I had 3 Battery Tenders plus fail for power problems never had a Jr. fail using at the same time

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
I still have an old Battery Tender that I had once used. Currently keep my FGT and C6 Corvette on CTEK digital trickle-float chargers. If you buy one with car make logo at a Porsche, Aston-Martin, Lambo dealers you will pay considerably more than plain CTEK branded models available on Internet. they work fine.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Kendal has a nifty battery tender he sells. His secret sauce is the mounting of the connector in the front grill that works quite elegantly.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Battery Tenders fail alot; I stored at 100+ collector car garage and they were throwing them away all the time.
If there is a surge or power outage, they hang up and must be unplugged to reset.

The biggest risk with all chargers is failing to use one....ie, turning it on

The tender Jr @ $25 is easiest in use and puts out 750 miliamps

The FORD OEM is also 750 miliamps and wih 25ft cord is the smallest /easiest in use

Gotta plug in for it to work....and many don't pop hood, put off, forget

I had 3 Battery Tenders plus fail for power problems never had a Jr. fail using at the same time

I had one Jr. fail on me out of 3 in service. It always was lit red and never turned green. Might be an issue if you rarely visit the car to check on it.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I still have an old Battery Tender that I had once used. Currently keep my FGT and C6 Corvette on CTEK digital trickle-float chargers. If you buy one with car make logo at a Porsche, Aston-Martin, Lambo dealers you will pay considerably more than plain CTEK branded models available on Internet. they work fine.
I have 2 CTEK's. First one kept my original NSX battery for 10 years, it was still cranking, but decided to replace it, as I didn't want to get stranded one day. The other I bought for the GT, still think it's the best charger out there. Buy a Ferrari, and get one with their logo on it, and see how much it costs!!!!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I agree.....C-TEK. I have a half dozen. I've had a couple of Battery Tenders fail, but never a C-TEK.

Howard