AR-15 prices

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
That's what I assumed your reasoning would be.

Aaaaaaaaah............'BACKUP in case the batteries on one or the other puke! :lol :cheers

Don't get confused by the two dots .... :lol

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
are the accuratized? The m-14's I mean. I had a socom II with a mod stock that was awesome ... but someone talked me out of it. Might build a new one .. but it shot sub 1 MOA all day long.

One is a box stock Scout rifle the other is a National Match. I think it's a pretty fair comparison. My Scout and the service AR-10 and my NM and floater AR-10 are comparable in accuracy. The AR-10(M-16) are instinctive feeling for me if I had been brought up on the Garand/M-14 I probably would prefer them as all shoot well.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Don't get confused by the two dots .... :lol

'Not possible. They BOTH hit the same spot. :wink :cheers

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
'Not possible. They BOTH hit the same spot. :wink :cheers

IF the target is standing at the exact same ZERO point!

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
One is a box stock Scout rifle the other is a National Match. I think it's a pretty fair comparison. My Scout and the service AR-10 and my NM and floater AR-10 are comparable in accuracy. The AR-10(M-16) are instinctive feeling for me if I had been brought up on the Garand/M-14 I probably would prefer them as all shoot well.

Try a modstock on the scout .. it REALLY changes the feel of the rifle. I think you might like that mucho mucho.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
IF the target is standing at the exact same ZERO point!

Well, lemme put it this way...a certain Marine sighted in the Laser Max...I sighted in the 'Trace to match that. 'GOOD 'NUFF 'far as I'm concerned! :lol

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Well, lemme put it this way...a certain Marine sighted in the Laser Max...I sighted in the 'Trace to match that. 'GOOD 'NUFF 'far as I'm concerned! :lol

oh ok.. blame your poor marksmanship on me now!!! :lol:lol:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
oh ok.. blame your poor marksmanship on me now!!! :lol:lol:lol

'ZACKLY what I'd intended to do! :biggrin

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Try a modstock on the scout .. it REALLY changes the feel of the rifle. I think you might like that mucho mucho.

I'm sure I would and was going to buy one but I would run afoul of the peoples republic of Kalifornia's law. The scout would become a dreaded "assault rifle" with the Modstock and have 2 or more of the no no's on our esteemed commissars list. As it sits now I only have a detachable mag so all is well.:bs

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I'm sure I would and was going to buy one but I would run afoul of the peoples republic of Kalifornia's law. The scout would become a dreaded "assault rifle" with the Modstock and have 2 or more of the no no's on our esteemed commissars list. As it sits now I only have a detachable mag so all is well.:bs

oh crap! I'm sorry .. I forgot you don't live in a free country out there... :bored

I am proud to say that EVERY firearm I own is NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA! :usa

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
For the money the best AR maker out there right now is Sabre Defence (www.sabredefence.com)...

happy shooting

Ok, you got me. I orderd a Sabre M-4 through Bud's. It should arrive next week.

Semper Fi,
Waldo

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My dad and I took the plunge today and each bought one. Thanks for the advice.

4459233278_8a692e0788.jpg

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Start 'em young.

Gentlemen,

I started my son Charley out on AR-15s at a very early age. Below, at age 12 months, he is getting the feel of an AR-15 Government Carbine 5.56 mm Colt. In the next photo, at age 5, he is fireing a full auto 9mm Colt M-16 at Gunsite in Paulden, AZ tutored by Range Masters Mike Hughes and Ted Yost. I am a fan of the Colt AR-15s and own several different versions.

Chip

Attachments

• AR152.jpg
    AR152.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 318
  • AR151.jpg
    AR151.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 315

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
waldo, congrats on the new rifle. when you get it in check out the trigger assembly. then run down to the armory and check out a service rifle. the difference in workmanship will amaze you.

Mark,

you guys might want to move the 556 Eotech back to a position over the ejector port. the eye relief and field of view will improve as will your target acquisition speed and accuracy. you will have to rezero the weapon. I suggest a 300 yard BZO and then pm me and I can send you a drop and rise target so you can practice the areas to aim at by distance for round placement. aka adjusting for the rise and fall a round goes through over its trajectory to the target. bzo @300 aim low for targets under that ... aim high for targets over it. when you see the target and procedure .. it makes sense.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
waldo, congrats on the new rifle. when you get it in check out the trigger assembly. then run down to the armory and check out a service rifle. the difference in workmanship will amaze you.

Mark,

you guys might want to move the 556 Eotech back to a position over the ejector port. the eye relief and field of view will improve as will your target acquisition speed and accuracy. you will have to rezero the weapon. I suggest a 300 yard BZO and then pm me and I can send you a drop and rise target so you can practice the areas to aim at by distance for round placement. aka adjusting for the rise and fall a round goes through over its trajectory to the target. bzo @300 aim low for targets under that ... aim high for targets over it. when you see the target and procedure .. it makes sense.

We put the Eotech that far forward because there's a possibility that we might put a magnifier between it and the stock. The primary reason I got the holographic sight is because my older son has trouble closing his left eye and I was told that you could shoot with both eyes open using the Eotech. My younger son has no problem closing one eye and prefers to use a scope. I thought this would be a configuration that might make them both happy.

With that said…

1. Do you think the magnifiers that fold out of the way are worth while or are they more of a gimmick?

2. If I decide to buy a scope, will I be able to swap between the Eotech and the scope without rezeroing the weapon each time?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Mark,

The eotech is designed to be used with both eyes open and "in the fight". being zero parallax no matter how you address the weapon the "pipper" is ALWAYS on target. Moving the reticle back closer to amplifier assists you in using both eyes open as the focal plane of the other eye does not come into play. they should be no more than about two inches from each other.

you can index a weapon (rail) to quick change a scope but really at the range you will be shooting the eotech with amplifier is more than sufficient for the type of shooting you want to do. if you want to shoot sub one minute at 500 yards then use a higher power scope instead of the eotech but then you are screwed for fast acquisition in CQB. it really is a trade off. which is why I have two different rifles in the same caliber for those different roles. could they do both? yes. but set up and switch is a pain.

personally, the ar-15 in 223 is a cqb weapon (which i regard as anything under 500 yards) it works well in that arena. Past 300 yards I switch to a different caliber (in my case the 6.5 grendel) anything over 1000. I switch to .416 Barrett. but then we get back to the beginning of my comments. I use the grendel from 0 to 1000 yards due to the rounds capabilities. I still own 223 weapons due to availability of ammo and ability for use to train LEO's. Then I hand them the Grendel and thats all they tell their chiefs they want. yeah... I'm sick that way. :lol

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Bushmaster M4 collapsible carbon fiber carbine here with 100 round Beta C-Mag full of .223 :usa

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
My dad and I took the plunge today and each bought one. Thanks for the advice.

6940s are very cool. Congrats on the new rifles.

2. If I decide to buy a scope, will I be able to swap between the Eotech and the scope without rezeroing the weapon each time?

I will eventually put an EOTech on this new M4 carbine. My goal will be to keep the M4 as light as possible.

I currently have a 1x4 power scope on my Colt H-Bar. With the true 1x magnification, I can scan/shoot with both eyes open. The 4x magnification is nice for longer ranges. The down side is the scope and mount are a little heavy. If the weight savings are significant, I may ditch the 1x4 scope on my H-Bar for a 4x ACOG.

Best Regards,
Waldo

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
6940s are very cool. Congrats on the new rifles.

I will eventually put an EOTech on this new M4 carbine. My goal will be to keep the M4 as light as possible.

I currently have a 1x4 power scope on my Colt H-Bar. With the true 1x magnification, I can scan/shoot with both eyes open. The 4x magnification is nice for longer ranges. The down side is the scope and mount are a little heavy. If the weight savings are significant, I may ditch the 1x4 scope on my H-Bar for a 4x ACOG.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Good scope but I really prefer the Eotech over the ACOG. never quite have the right cheek contact with the ACOG. works fine ... just personal preference.

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
I went with the minimalist approach :willy
And it's easy to conceal.

Attachments

• tacticoolAR15.jpg
    tacticoolAR15.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 462