AR-15 prices

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My father and I are thinking of purchasing a couple AR-15's. The prices we're seeing around here (eastern PA) are between $1700 and $2000. Does that seem reasonable?

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Sounds high to me although I haven't made any significant purchases lately. I have a couple of Colt H-Bars and they were considerably cheaper.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/140/products_id/36407

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Mark,

Those prices sound high. But also depends on brand. I have two. Bushmaster Carbine, I paid 1275 (tax incl)and a Rock River A4 that was about the same.

Stu

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
AR prices are all over the board but also is the quality and workmanship. You can spend as much as 5k for a "standard" ar-15 or variant or as little as $750. but the saying you get what you pay for is very true.

For the money the best AR maker out there right now is Sabre Defence (www.sabredefence.com) I own 4 of their variants. For just average shooter who demands the best quality I would recommend any of their rifles. For an "operator" their gas piston rifles are incredible. The former being about 1400 the latter about 2200.00.

I would also recommend the 6.5 grendel cartridge. which is why I have 4. two in 5.56 and 2 in 6.5. one of each gas and gas piston. Grendel is still cooking at 1000 yards when the 5.56 is in the dirt stopped.

Gentlemen, I am not affiliated with in anyway this company but to equate it into GT Forum world terms. These guys are the Shadowman of the AR world. They also make ALL of the barrels for the .50 M2 now. ... from what I have been told. Their CS is superb and quality is beyond compare.

happy shooting

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
My father and I are thinking of purchasing a couple AR-15's. The prices we're seeing around here (eastern PA) are between $1700 and $2000. Does that seem reasonable?
For that price you can get a Colt LE6940 M4 which comes standard with a quad picatiney front rail, monolithic upper, retractable front and rear sights, and the same bolt and buffer assemblies that are used on the full auto version. Six months ago they sold for $2500. Awesome piece.

Here's what it looks like ..... http://images.google.com/images?q=c...SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Us CA guys can only dream about owning an true AR!

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
AR prices are all over the board but also is the quality and workmanship. You can spend as much as 5k for a "standard" ar-15 or variant or as little as $750. but the saying you get what you pay for is very true.

For the money the best AR maker out there right now is Sabre Defence (www.sabredefence.com) I own 4 of their variants. For just average shooter who demands the best quality I would recommend any of their rifles. For an "operator" their gas piston rifles are incredible. The former being about 1400 the latter about 2200.00.

I would also recommend the 6.5 grendel cartridge. which is why I have 4. two in 5.56 and 2 in 6.5. one of each gas and gas piston. Grendel is still cooking at 1000 yards when the 5.56 is in the dirt stopped.

Gentlemen, I am not affiliated with in anyway this company but to equate it into GT Forum world terms. These guys are the Shadowman of the AR world. They also make ALL of the barrels for the .50 M2 now. ... from what I have been told. Their CS is superb and quality is beyond compare.

happy shooting

I've never shot a 6.5 before. Is it any different than shooting a 5.56 (other than the affect it has on the target?)

I see that Sabre Defense also sells the M4. Any reason to get an M4 vs an AR15?

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I have two CAR-15s (Colt) here in CA but I bought them many many years ago and they are legally registered with the CA DOJ.

They are a blast for plinking. I use them at our Sheriff's Aero Squadron annual picnic. All the pilots and their families get to try them.

Richard Hille

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

I just ordered a Colt 1911 from Bud's yesterday. They have pretty good prices.

For the money the best AR maker out there right now is Sabre Defence (www.sabredefence.com)...They also make ALL of the barrels for the .50 M2 now.

Although I haven't seen any in the armories yet, I understand Sabre was awarded a contract for M-16A4s.

I've never shot a 6.5 before. Is it any different than shooting a 5.56 (other than the affect it has on the target?)

5.56 (or .223) ammunition will be cheaper and much easier to find.

I see that Sabre Defense also sells the M4. Any reason to get an M4 vs an AR15?

Depends how you intend to carry and/or shoot the weapon. The M4 carbines (16" barrel) will be smaller, lighter, and easier to carry. AR-15s with a 20" barrel will be tad heavier but will give you faster muzzle velocity.

I'm partial to full size Colts, but that's probably for nostalgia as much as anything. I have a Colt H-Bar.
dsc00013.jpg

My next AR-15 will be either a Colt 6940 or 6920.

If I were going to build my next AR... http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Stealth+Products.

Semper Fi,
Waldo

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas

If you are serious about quality, one of my sons who recently left the Army, can guide you thru ANY build known to man. He enjoys the hobby and knows all reputable suppliers and builders. He can tell you the rest of the story.

Drop me a PM if interested.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
The 6.5 is much harder to find and is on back order due to an "issue" at the plant. From what I heard someone made something go BOOM at the wrong time. But thats just the story I heard.

Now regarding the ballistics of the 6.5. well, I have been around A LOT of ammo in my lifetime and at 100 yards out of a 16 inch barrel M4 carbine a SOFT POINT 6.5 Grendel round but a 1/4 inch deep mushroom INTO a 2.75 inch steel plate when the 7.62x39 AP round only did a "tad" deeper and the 5.56 (m16 20 inch barrel) scratched the paint .. (barely). The 6.5 MPT round was dead on as effective as the AP round and its not suppose to be AP at all. that was 100 yards bench test.

At 1000 yards the 6.5 is still hitting hard while the others are in the dirt a few hundred yards back. IMHO the 6.5 is an incredible all around round. CQB, sniper and everything in between. NOW that being said. it is expensive from a hand loader (when compared to the 5.56) and for now is hard to get. But I always buy ammo in 5000 round blocks so ..... I tend to get it faster than people who want 250 rounds. But even then I own 5.56 rifles just in case.

Sabre Defence was going to make their rifles in 7.62x39 and if they had I'd have bought them too. word was that they had issues with mags and put the project on hold.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
IMHO the 6.5 is an incredible all around round. CQB, sniper and everything in between.

S592R,

Do you have any experience with the 7.62x51mm AR-10A4?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
S592R,

Do you have any experience with the 7.62x51mm AR-10A4?

limited. I am an old school guy in that caliber. Give me a m14 (or sniperized variant) but .. go figure its like coming home to shoot that rifle.

The thing I dig about the 6.5 is it is a true all around round. The talk is NOT hype on that one. For true reach out an touch'em the 416 barrett with the bors scope on it rocks! also transfers over to the ar's (in either caliber) well.

But once again ... I need a 12 step program when it comes to firearms.

BTW. added a XD .40 subcompact to the family a few days ago. me likey a lot! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks to all for your advice and help.

As long as I'm still in the research phase of this project. Does anybody have any thoughts on the AR-10?

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Thanks to all for your advice and help.

As long as I'm still in the research phase of this project. Does anybody have any thoughts on the AR-10?

I have two AR-10's one flat top service rifle with an Elcan. The other a flat top free float with Leupold M4. Both shoot well, the free float shoots sub 3/4''. I prefer them over my M-14's. I'm just very familiar with the ar/m4 platform which could account for the preference. The fact that they both shoot as good or better than the M-14's helps too!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
...AR-10's...over my M-14's.
The next dilemma in my life.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
are the accuratized? The m-14's I mean. I had a socom II with a mod stock that was awesome ... but someone talked me out of it. Might build a new one .. but it shot sub 1 MOA all day long.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
BTW. added a XD .40 subcompact to the family a few days ago. me likey a lot! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Which would you NOW prefer: XD compact .45, or XD sub .40 and why? (My own view is akin to the response given to the question, "Why do you carry a .45?" ... "Because they don't make a .46.")

BTW, 'just put a Crimson Trace laser grip on my XD. Me likely THAT a lot! 'Nothin' better than an "idiot proof" automatic laser activator IMO! :lol

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Which would you NOW prefer: XD compact .45, or XD sub .40 and why? (My own view is akin to the response given to the question, "Why do you carry a .45?" ... "Because they don't make a .46.")

BTW, 'just put a Crimson Trace laser grip on my XD. Me likely THAT a lot! 'Nothin' better than an "idiot proof" automatic laser activator IMO! :lol

It depends on what I am wearing. The .45 is easier to carry in the winter when I wear a jacket or something long. The .40 subcompact I can cover with a t-shirt. either way I am using an inside the waistband holster (worn right above my wallet). Like the video in safety arms review I posted to you.

Here are my thoughts on my weaponry. In order of use according to distance to target (or marauding horde) and ammo depletion.

.416 Barrett
6.5 Grendel
5.56 AR Variant
7.62 AK-47
7.62 sks w/ bayonet
12 ga FN TPS
.45 xd compact with extended mags
.40 xd sub compact with extended mags
K-bar
whatever I can find in the room
savage war cry and teeth. :biggrin

Now truthfully, I would prefer to carry the grendel but ... people look at you a bit strange when you run into Target with one strapped on. :wink

What did you do with your Laser-Max? I might take that off your hands if you want to dump it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It depends on what I am wearing.

That's what I assumed your reasoning would be.

What did you do with your Laser-Max? I might take that off your hands if you want to dump it.

Aaaaaaaaah............'BACKUP in case the batteries on one or the other puke! :lol :cheers