anyone running long tubes no cats and gt guys x pipe ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I knew I read this somewhere. Here's a post from Kendall a while back. Hope he chimes in here. Perhaps his perception has changed since 2008, but he ranked the rear exit headers as louder than a long tube/x-pipe setup.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...exhaust-system&p=139973&viewfull=1#post139973

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Because the FRPP rear exit headers have small collector mufflers built into them. The long tubes do not.

Those little cans are amplifiers not mufflers. imo. I love the 9430 set up. As you can be almost stock quiet, or rev it up and it will wake the dead. You should here it inside my car dealership, but that said you have to stay off of it sometimes or your going to scare people and be a bad neighbor. Now I want to go find a nice tunnel today.

I think it's more comfortable than the accufab and cat system. I had the drone and highway cruising seemed louder then.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I knew I read this somewhere. Here's a post from Kendall a while back. Hope he chimes in here. Perhaps his perception has changed since 2008, but he ranked the rear exit headers as louder than a long tube/x-pipe setup.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...exhaust-system&p=139973&viewfull=1#post139973

Interesting,

So PILOTJPW1 is right, they are amplifiers not mufflers. :rolleyes The GTX system is still easy to live with FWIW.

Maybe I should cut out the mufflers for more weight savings and less decibels?

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
:agree: the GTX isn't bad at all cruising around and may be in fact better sounding than long tubes and a X or H pipe. When I am referring to how loud it is, I mean at redline and WOT, like you would be tested on the race track. e.i. what is the maximum sound the system will make, not the cruising sound.

A X or H pipe will blend the sound of both cylinder banks and tends to reduce high frequency noises, so the sound is very different between them and the GTX, but both are going to be very LOUD!

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
As most know, I have the FRPP rear exit header system on my car, M-9430-GTX.

View attachment 28331

Ask anyone from previous rallys - what do they think?

And yet, I can cruise in any town without any looks from the local LEO's (except for wanting to look at it). I have over 66K miles on the car and have never been stopped for excessive sound; yet, at Miller Motorsports Park, when passing the Start/Finish line, the personnel in the overhanging flag post always had their ears covered when I passed under them. Compared to the X- and H-Pipes, I think the collector-racing mufflers change the frequency of the exhaust to a slightly higher pitch - somewhere between the deep-throated Ford V-8 and a high pitched Ferarri V12. I love that tone, and it is not bothersome when tracking the car - if fact, it sings a sweet song.

Personally - I haven't heard anything better...

Ralphie

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
As most know, I have the FRPP rear exit header system on my car, M-9430-GTX.

View attachment 28331

Ask anyone from previous rallys - what do they think?

And yet, I can cruise in any town without any looks from the local LEO's (except for wanting to look at it). I have over 66K miles on the car and have never been stopped for excessive sound; yet, at Miller Motorsports Park, when passing the Start/Finish line, the personnel in the overhanging flag post always had their ears covered when I passed under them. Compared to the X- and H-Pipes, I think the collector-racing mufflers change the frequency of the exhausr to a slightly hight pitch - between the deep-throated Ford V-8 and a high pitched Ferarri V12. I love that tone, and it is not bothersome when tracking the car - if fact, it sings a sweet song.

Personally - I haven't heard anything better...

Ralphie

Sold!

Oh wait, I am already sold! Shadowman cut my tips to work with RBD:

Attachments

• 100_0966 (800x600).jpg
    100_0966 (800x600).jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 138

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sold!

That's a sexy rear. And I had to google the plate. Man, you are a Peart-fanatic:)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Actually, All three, mostly Geddy tho, well Alex....., I have abused the forum members on the subject too often so I will just say yes.

Yeah, doesn't that Bumper delete just look natural?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sold!

Hey Michael
Any thing more complicated than just snipping off the tips for the bumper delete? Does it change the sound characteristics of the exhaust at all by shortening the exit pipes?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Ed, have you decided on what exhaust system you are going to run??

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed, have you decided on what exhaust system you are going to run??

Yes and no. Om the verge of going with the rear exit headers. One of the reasons I wanted to hear Ralphie's setup. Just wish I could have been there in person.
What's your honest opinion on them? Could you live with it?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Jeez Ed.
This is a purely subjective situation here, as I see it.
Me, I love to hear Ralphie's exhaust....but I would not want it on my car. Great sound, no doubt, but too loud for my taste.
I prefer the stock exhaust manifolds and a cat back x pipe.
Just make your decision and make it happen. You will be more than happy with it!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Jeez Ed.
Me, I love to hear Ralphie's exhaust....but I would not want it on my car. Great sound, no doubt, but too loud for my taste.
Just make your decision and make it happen. You will be more than happy with it!

That seems to be the consensus among a lot of people: Love the sound, just not on my car:) Man, I'm sure glad I love the BBS lightweights, because just like choosing aftermarket wheels, picking an exhaust is a total pain in the A$$!:lol

Greg-TT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Ed, check out my set up this weekend to see if it's loud nuf for you.
I too wanted to go big with rear exit set up but kendall was against it. Just too damn loud.
I ended up going with stock manifold, FRPP cat delete and heffener H-pipe set up and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed, check out my set up this weekend to see if it's loud nuf for you.
I too wanted to go big with rear exit set up but kendall was against it. Just too damn loud.
I ended up going with stock manifold, FRPP cat delete and heffener H-pipe set up and couldn't be happier.

Definitely Greg!
From what I understand, the FRPP cat deletes are not available anymore??
Too damn loud? Come on, Greg. Take off your skirt!:)

What is Armik running? Custom setup?

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
Ed, this is how my BAD ASS GT sounds.

[video=youtube;a6d1ogKDZ2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6d1ogKDZ2Q[/video]

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Jeez Ed.

:agree:

I really like the sound of the FRPP rear exit pipes! One of the meanest sounding pipe I have heard. But I prefer the sound at a distance and not within a few feet of my ears.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
:agree:

I really like the sound of the FRPP rear exit pipes! One of the meanest sounding pipe I have heard. But I prefer the sound at a distance and not within a few feet of my ears.

Then that would make it pretty difficult to have on your own car:) Chalk another one up in the "I love it, but not on my car" camp.

Greg-TT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Definitely Greg!
From what I understand, the FRPP cat deletes are not available anymore??
Too damn loud? Come on, Greg. Take off your skirt!:)

What is Armik running? Custom setup?

Haha, I know. Damn skirt!!!
Armik is running FRPP cat back set up so isn't much louder than stock.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Haha, I know. Damn skirt!!!
Armik is running FRPP cat back set up so isn't much louder than stock.

Probably true, but if you use them with the FRPP cat delete pipes I am hoping it will sound about right to me.