anyone running long tubes no cats and gt guys x pipe ?

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
Hi guys, Im having the GT guys over here on Tues for some mantiance and was thinking of trying one of there X pipe systems, my question is are any of you running the X pipe with long tubes and no cats ? Im sure its on the high end of the volume scale but I was wondering about any drone it may have. Any imput or even better a sound clip would be most helpful.
Thanks !mump_1003_02_+1967_tasca_kr_8+mustang_birthday.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Cortina! Brings back memories. Back in the 70s, I drive a neighbor's. Got about a block and flames were coming out of the hood. lol. No help on the sound, but I'd love to hear it!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
High end of sound would be an understatement!

I would say would be the equal in loudness to anything sold and louder than FRPP rear exit headers. I think Stainless works without cats would be about as lound but with a more high frequency noise.

As far as drone don't know for sure but my guess will be that it does drone around 2K to 2200 under certain conditions like every other system without a muffler does.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Why would it be louder than the rear exit headers? Although it's just an x-pipe, I would think it would attenuate the sound more than the essentially straight-thru pipes on the M9430GTX

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Why would it be louder than the rear exit headers? Although it's just an x-pipe, I would think it would attenuate the sound more than the essentially straight-thru pipes on the M9430GTX

Because the FRPP rear exit headers have small collector mufflers built into them. The long tubes do not.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Topshot just finished that set up yesterday. Give him a shout.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Because the FRPP rear exit headers have small collector mufflers built into them. The long tubes do not.

Do those collector mufflers actually do any real 'muffling'? :)
I've heard a long tube header/Heffner exhaust setup and it was pretty darn loud. I would assume it's similar in volume to a GTG/long tube setup, no? If so and the M9430GTX is a touch 'quieter', then it would be PERFECT for me.
However, everything I've read on this forum lends me to believe that the FRPP rear exit header or Stainless Works setup is THE loudest system you can get.
If this is incorrect, please let me know.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Do those collector mufflers actually do any real 'muffling'? :)
I've heard a long tube header/Heffner exhaust setup and it was pretty darn loud. I would assume it's similar in volume to a GTG/long tube setup, no? If so and the M9430GTX is a touch 'quieter', then it would be PERFECT for me.
However, everything I've read on this forum lends me to believe that the FRPP rear exit header or Stainless Works setup is THE loudest system you can get.
If this is incorrect, please let me know.

I would put right up there the rear exit headers with a X or H pipe.

I have the FRPP cat deletes and an Accufab X pipe connected to stock manifolds, it is almost as loud as the two you mentioned. Maybe 5db less. The cat deletes do have to small flow through mufflers, that help a little bit. I am switching out the X pipe for a Borla muffler to get the sound down a bit. I hate to add the weight and heat though. As for a flow I have seen photos of the inside of the Borla muffler, IMO should flow almost as will as an X or H pipe.

Anyone want a used Accufab for a bumper delete car?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Really?? I still cant believe the rear exit system isn't noticeably louder than a long tube/x-pipe setup. The one that I heard was downright brutal even at 1/2-3/4 throttle. Not sure I could go louder than that. But again, if the 9430GTX is similar or even a touch quieter, I'd have to go with that one.
Sheesh. I really have to hear one of these in person.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Really?? I still cant believe the rear exit system isn't noticeably louder than a long tube/x-pipe setup. The one that I heard was downright brutal even at 1/2-3/4 throttle. Not sure I could go louder than that. But again, if the 9430GTX is similar or even a touch quieter, I'd have to go with that one.
Sheesh. I really have to hear one of these in person.

I would agree than the rear exits are the loudest system I have personal heard. But that is because it was the only header system I heard running full out on the track. Other headers without cats or mufflers should be as loud or louder, but I have never heard one full out on the track. I can tell you that my cat deletes with a X pipe was 2nd loudest on the same track day.

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I had rear exits on mine. They do have a large collector that I would assume has some sort of packing, They were quite tame off throttle. Sorry, I don't remember which user but there is someone on here with a black GT that has long tubes with an X-pipe and it was deemed the loudest by far of any setup including the rear exit headers.

Save the I ran a red light jabs... don't care!

[video=youtube;HFXHSUo-Ddw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXHSUo-Ddw[/video]

Black GT with long tubes and X-pipe

[video=youtube;1CzSRcbcGRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CzSRcbcGRQ[/video]

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I just downloaded Tapatalk HD and was surprised how well I could hear the black FGT over the Lambo and the rap playing in the background.

I have the same GTX that Luke Warmwater (Mike) had. It really is very liveable at reasonable throttle depression and doesn't get loud until maybe 3500-3750rpm, maybe even higher than that.

I have to believe going with the X-pipe instead of the mufflers will take it up a notch or several. :thumbsup

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Ugh, that makes me wanna put my headers on now.

LOL

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I had rear exits on mine. They do have a large collector that I would assume has some sort of packing, They were quite tame off throttle. Sorry, I don't remember which user but there is someone on here with a black GT that has long tubes with an X-pipe and it was deemed the loudest by far of any setup including the rear exit headers.

Save the I ran a red light jabs... don't care!

[video=youtube;HFXHSUo-Ddw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXHSUo-Ddw[/video]

Black GT with long tubes and X-pipe

[video=youtube;1CzSRcbcGRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CzSRcbcGRQ[/video]

I have several of your vids 'favorite'd', Mike. That's one of 'em:)

I just downloaded Tapatalk HD and was surprised how well I could hear the black FGT over the Lambo and the rap playing in the background.

I have the same GTX that Luke Warmwater (Mike) had. It really is very liveable at reasonable throttle depression and doesn't get loud until maybe 3500-3750rpm, maybe even higher than that.

I have to believe going with the X-pipe instead of the mufflers will take it up a notch or several. :thumbsup

Have you heard a long tube/x or h pipe configuration along side yours?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have not, but unless we think the GTX mufflers are only decoratve, we can all imagine the result of eliminating them. ;-)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I have not, but unless we think the GTX mufflers are only decoratve, we can all imagine the result of eliminating them. ;-)

:agree:

Buy some ear plugs. :lol

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I just got mine back after a 4.0 whipple, GT Guys Cold Air intake and longtube headers into an Accufab X pipe....... Rich took me to his test track Friday to hear it. WOW its loud, I love it, will have to watch it on the street, but really not that bad under 3000 rpm's and the GT breaks any speed limit in the country over 3000 rpms any way. But the WOT throttle pulls - pure intoxication.. I had him drop me off so I could hear it from outside the car,,,,,, WOW, just WOW

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I just got mine back after a 4.0 whipple, GT Guys Cold Air intake and longtube headers into an Accufab X pipe....... Rich took me to his test track Friday to hear it. WOW its loud, I love it, will have to watch it on the street, but really not that bad under 3000 rpm's and the GT breaks any speed limit in the country over 3000 rpms any way. But the WOT throttle pulls - pure intoxication.. I had him drop me off so I could hear it from outside the car,,,,,, WOW, just WOW

Try riding in a convertible and have someone do a 6K+ RPM pass by you with your car. Your ears will be ringing in pain. I did that to another owner he was all smiles. :biggrin

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Need a video, Kurt. Even in the garage is ok.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
i will post some pic and vids when i get back next week..... hopefully the snow will be gone.. enjoy Germany...