Any luck with insurance and a not so perfect driving record?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
White Petunia said:
Anyone? Even if they don't drink? :confused

:biggrin that's thinking out of the box, I guess that is one way to avoid one :biggrin

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Texas requires insurance...for license, registration and in some cities..Dallas, Plano, Richardson if you are in an accident and don't have proof...they keep your car till you can produce it.

Sorry about your situation but its one of those things you learn from..its not that you can't get insurance...you just can't get cheap insurance...

If the car is that important then pay the $4000+ if not then its not meant to be..sorry it sounds harsh but sometimes harsh is the best way to hear it.

Matt

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
White Petunia said:
Anyone? Even if they don't drink? :confused

That's certainly the smarter way to go and I commend anyone who does not drink at all :wink

But what Bony says is true of 100% of anyone who has a drink or two at dinner. Two drinks at dinner puts the average sized person at the lowered .08 limit in the U.S. That is basically what happened to me (I did have more than 2 at dinner). I was pulled over for speeding and I answered yes to whether I have had anything to drink tonight. Wham Bam and there I am with a .08. :cheers (guess that's a little inappropriate!)

But on a better note! Looks like I will be able to move my personal cars over into my personal name (currently in business name) and take those and a GT over to Allstate with a net increase of about $2200/year. :thumbsup

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
427Aggie said:
Sorry about your situation but its one of those things you learn from..its not that you can't get insurance...you just can't get cheap insurance...

If the car is that important then pay the $4000+ if not then its not meant to be..sorry it sounds harsh but sometimes harsh is the best way to hear it.

You're absolutley right. I made the mistake, I pay the price.

My initial problem was that I had called 4 insurance companies directly and 2 independant insurance agents and absolutely none of them was able to even write the policy. I was expecting to pay extra, I wasn't expecting to be completely turned down when you take into account my age and pristine insurance history.

Allstate is coming to my rescue though.

Pipelion

Cool,

Allan

Pipelion

con few shush say,

a few drinks OK, Ford GT OK.

But Ford GT plus drinks not OK.

Might as well pass keys to first 12 year old boy, one sees and say, "go as fast as you can".

Unless one is looking for last ride ever. Do only one at a time.

Allan

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You're absolutley right. I made the mistake, I pay the price.

That's all I was try'n to say Chiliman. I wasn't trying to be a jerk although sometimes I may sound like one. Your post here as well as bony's will hopefully serve as a good reminder to all of us. Good luck with getting the car.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Ultimate solution!

I'm in the gasoline/convience store business and I have seen this work over 10 times during the last 5 years. But you gotta live in Arizona and you gotta speak spanish. When we arrest a shoplifter who speaks spanish the Phoenix Police let them go IF they say they are illegal aliens and here's the great part. The police allow them to drive off our property with expired plates, no valid drivers license, and NO INSURANCE!!! This procedure is followed even if you crash into one of the pumps (it happened), or my carwash (ditto), or my managers car (no kidding) doing thousands of dollars worth of damage. :willy Arizona residents are required to have insurance to register their cars and you get creamed if you're stopped and you dont have current plates, insurance and registration. Illegals are not required to have plates, insurance, or even a drivers license. So come here illegally, and SAVE BIG!!!

Chip

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
nota4re said:
That's all I was try'n to say Chiliman. I wasn't trying to be a jerk although sometimes I may sound like one. Your post here as well as bony's will hopefully serve as a good reminder to all of us. Good luck with getting the car.

No problem. Guess I took it in a more derogatory manner than meant. I just hope anyone out there that has had a drink or two and then driven realizes that they were almost guaranteed to be at the new legal limit.

On the car front: I have insurance lined up and financing approved. Just have to finish the deal. I have 2 loaded 2006 blue's offered at sticker right now and am working on getting a sweetheart deal on an '05 with stock wheels. The salesman is calling me 2 times a day right now just salivating at the deal at sticker. When I pop it on him I have 2 '06 at sticker and will only consider the '05 at 10K below sticker I think they will bite. (that will be 13.5K below a loaded '06 and basically pays for the insurance.)

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
bony said:
:biggrin that's thinking out of the box, I guess that is one way to avoid one :biggrin

you can also get a driving under the influence (or impared driving) if you had some types of medecines. But yes even if you drink you can still avoid getting a drunk driving, i've drank a few times but when i did is because I knew i was getting a ride back home, sometimes i volunteer to be the designated driver.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
dUI, or better dON'T !

bony said:
J
Frankly, a dui can happen once to anyone (who drinks). I have never had one, however have had to fire many employees that had poor driving records. :wink
Having Bony here and myself work in the drinks industry, of course DUI is something controversial. Yes it can happen to many social drinking exposed, but nevertheless it is nothing to take lightly. As you see, it can get you fired ! Moreover, pray to God Almighty that you are never doing any harm to anyone if chosing to take the gamble to drink and drive. It really doesn't fit together! Your life is just done if you drink, drive, and hurt someone bad. Don't try that, don't give it a chance ! Drink, yes, drive yes, enjoy both, never exaggerate, be happy !

To not have issues with 'representing' and having issues from it, I got a long Beamer and a short and discreet (fun) driver..
There is a time to drive, there is a time to drink, there is time to have fun... Jus't don't get the cocktail wrong...

That's the way, boys ! :biggrin

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
SLF360 said:
Having Bony here and myself work in the drinks industry, of course DUI is something controversial. Yes it can happen to many social drinking exposed, but nevertheless it is nothing to take lightly. As you see, it can get you fired ! Moreover, pray to God Almighty that you are never doing any harm to anyone if chosing to take the gamble to drink and drive. It really doesn't fit together! Your life is just done if you drink, drive, and hurt someone bad. Don't try that, don't give it a chance ! Drink, yes, drive yes, enjoy both, never exaggerate, be happy !

To not have issues with 'representing' and having issues from it, I got a long Beamer and a short and discreet (fun) driver..
There is a time to drive, there is a time to drink, there is time to have fun... Jus't don't get the cocktail wrong...

That's the way, boys ! :biggrin

You're right on target. I hope no one interpreted my posts as excusing drinking and driving.

I too am in the industry, on the retail side. I am in the restaurant business and frankly have a significant bar business. The NRA (National Restaurant Association...not the Rifles...) has always been very opposed to the .08 limit for the reasons I have listed. I believe the .10 limit to be where the DUI standard should be set. I have one ex police officer working for me, the husband of my wife's closest friend is a police officer, and my insurance agent is an ex officer. Everyone of them have said the same me, that they wish it had stayed at .10. With all that said. Just don't drive after having having anything more than one drink with dinner and you are fine.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
chiliman said:
You're right on target. I hope no one interpreted my posts as excusing drinking and driving.

I too am in the industry, on the retail side. I am in the restaurant business and frankly have a significant bar business. The NRA (National Restaurant Association...not the Rifles...) has always been very opposed to the .08 limit for the reasons I have listed. I believe the .10 limit to be where the DUI standard should be set. I have one ex police officer working for me, the husband of my wife's closest friend is a police officer, and my insurance agent is an ex officer. Everyone of them have said the same me, that they wish it had stayed at .10. With all that said. Just don't drive after having having anything more than one drink with dinner and you are fine.

I agree with 1.0, but it will never happen. The big issue is if you admit to having ONE (1) drink, you can be charged with being under the influence.
A wet reckless or DUI is a very black mark, best outcome in California is a 30 day suspension with permission to drive to and from work. If you work for me, my insurance company will demand that I seperate you from the firm. If you think I am happy to fire a person, you are mistaken.

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
bony said:
I agree with 1.0, but it will never happen. The big issue is if you admit to having ONE (1) drink, you can be charged with being under the influence.
A wet reckless or DUI is a very black mark, best outcome in California is a 30 day suspension with permission to drive to and from work. If you work for me, my insurance company will demand that I seperate you from the firm. If you think I am happy to fire a person, you are mistaken.

Virginia, first offense is a mandatory 6 months suspension. To and from work is up to the judge but regularly allowed. I know how the insurance companies are. Prior to my current restaurant I was a franchisee with Domino's, same kind of rules.

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
White Petunia said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "wet reckless"? Wet as in drinking below .08 or wet as in reckless driving while driving in the rain?

I believe he is just refering to being charged and/or convicted for reckless driving as a reduced charge to DUI. It is done in Virginia very often on the first offense due to some of the stiffest mandatory minimums for first offense DUI in the country.