Any luck with insurance and a not so perfect driving record?

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
I've been on the phone for a couple of hours now and it doesn't look too good for my getting insurance.

I am 36 years old, married, homeowner, with zero claims in my insured history. The problem is I have a reckless (dui reduced to reckless) in October of 2004. I've spoken with State Farm, Hagerty, Grundy, and Chubb with out any luck. I just did an online quote for Allstate at $4325/year and will be calling them to see if they will really do it, then I have to decide at what point is it not worth it! I read the insurance thread and there are a lot of great rates out there but none discussed with driving record problems.

Any others out there with similar circumstances that could help point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Randy

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do you have court supervision? Usually it's off your record in two years after the supervision is done with NO RECURRENCES. My records not spotless, but a DUI (or hint of) is hard to beat. Maybe talk to your lawyer and find out just exactly what you were convicted of.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If it was reduced from a DUI, there should be no official record of those three letters anywhere. Reckless is not going to be easy to get by. Good luck!

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
DBK said:
If it was reduced from a DUI, there should be no official record of those three letters anywhere. Reckless is not going to be easy to get by. Good luck!

It's a reckless driving conviction. No hint of DUI on the record but there is a 6 month suspension attached to the reckless (Virginia minimum!). The real a$$ chapper of it all is that I was EXACTLY at the legal limit. One mistake and here I am without my GT :frown

We'll see how it all works out.

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Pay the 4K for the first year, if you can get it... then find the best company/rate.

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
Try Geico, they seem to be more understanding than most.

Pipelion

This is off topic/sort of not.

#1.....If you ever get stopped (and you have no insurance or you do have insurance) ......DO NOT....repeat ....DO NOT....,admit to not having insurance. This relates to the first amendment{(right to speak) which is also the right to not speak}, that's why there is no need for the 5th ammendment, but they made sure total idiots would know we don't have to act as our own judge and jury, convicting ourselves.

In other words if you don't admit to not having insurance,,,,,it's then up to the State to "Prove" you don't have insurance. The later being impossible since the state would have to call every insurance agency on planet earth to see if they insure you. And your insurance may be with someone or some company outside the know solar system. The state can't prove you don't have insurance.

#2. I forgot what number 2 was, sorry.

Allan :cheers

PS...You might say,"this is all the paperwork I can provide,at this time".

PSS The officers are pros at dealing with liars, don't lie, tell them what I said.

Last edited:

Pipelion

My old partners dad was very rich, about a hundred million $s. He lived in TX, and self insured all his cars. Another wealthy guy from FL also self insures.

Some states allow it.

Allan

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Pipelion said:

#1.....If you ever get stopped (and you have no insurance or you do have insurance) ......DO NOT....repeat ....DO NOT....,admit to not having insurance. This relates to the first amendment{(right to speak) which is also the right to not speak}, that's why there is no need for the 5th ammendment, but they made sure total idiots would know we don't have to act as our own judge and jury, convicting ourselves.

In other words if you don't admit to not having insurance,,,,,it's then up to the State to "Prove" you don't have insurance. The later being impossible since the state would have to call every insurance agency on planet earth to see if they insure you. And your insurance may be with someone or some company outside the know solar system. The state can't prove you don't have insurance.

PSS The officers are pros at dealing with liars, don't lie, tell them what I said.

bottom line, insurance companies find out from the states what tickets and points you have earned, or should I saw charged against you. Here in Kalifornia you can get a no insurance / fix it ticket if you can't prove that you have it.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Insurance problems

Pipelion said:

Hi Allan, I think in Ohio, we have to prove that we HAVE insurance and the police do not have to prove WE DON'T. Also on Ohio, I've never heard of anyone being able to insure themselves, at least in regards to car insurance. I believe the State makes it mandatory that you must have car insurance! Please correct me if I'm wrong. Michael

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
magwheel said:
Hi Allan, I think in Ohio, we have to prove that we HAVE insurance and the police do not have to prove WE DON'T. Also on Ohio, I've never heard of anyone being able to insure themselves, at least in regards to car insurance. I believe the State makes it mandatory that you must have car insurance! Please correct me if I'm wrong. Michael

In some states you prove you or your firm is capable of being selfinsured.
The question is, do you really want to be considering the size of some of these claims?

Pipelion

Magwheel,

Get a better attorney, the burden of proof is always on the state, ie; innocent untill PROVEN guilty. Proven guilty by who? The state.

But I understand we are discussing two different points here. point one, when you get plates/regs. Point two when you get pulled over. I was discussing the latter.

Bony,

Kalifornia is a whole nother ball game. Soon the 'KA' DMV may require proof of ownership of the 'Broke Back MT' DVD, before registering vehicles.

Allan

IT's SuperBs fault I'm here on the forum. I read his positive post about the FordGTforum. And like him I wish we had spell check.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It's a reckless driving conviction. No hint of DUI on the record but there is a 6 month suspension attached to the reckless (Virginia minimum!). The real a$$ chapper of it all is that I was EXACTLY at the legal limit. One mistake and here I am without my GT

No sympathy at all from me. :frown

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
In CA you can post a 30K bond in liu of insurance. Of course that may make the state happy, but I wouldn't sleep well with only 30K coverage. In CA you would lose 30K hitting someone's cat of dog.

BlackICE

Last edited:

chiliman

Sep 24, 2005
nota4re said:

Don't really care for your sympathy frankly. Sorry I don't meet your version of perfect.

My point here is that this one mistake on my part and insurance companies won't write the policy? I'm sure there are a number of people that have these and similar vehicles with worse driving records or worse than my 20 years of ZERO accidents on their record that are larger risks than I.

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
chiliman said:
It's a reckless driving conviction. No hint of DUI on the record but there is a 6 month suspension attached to the reckless (Virginia minimum!). The real a$$ chapper of it all is that I was EXACTLY at the legal limit. One mistake and here I am without my GT :frown

We'll see how it all works out.

why not atleast buy the car for now and wait,then insure it as a driven car a year or two down the line once your have a couple years of ticket free driving? either that or pay the 4k.... its really not that bad considering i was paying almost that to have full coverage on a '95 Ford Mustang GT at age 18. :frown

Last edited:

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Pipelion: I would not want forum members to rely solely on your post, as well intentioned as it is, and get into a bind in court over the insurance issue.

Most states require evidence of financial responsibility to be produced (along with DL and registration) upon a valid stop. If the driver does not produce the evidence, he or she may be issued a citation.

You are right that it is the government's responsibility to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. The very complex trial would go like this:
Officer: "I asked Mr. Smith for evidence of financial responsibility and he would not or could not produce it."
Defendant, relying on right not to testify, remains silent.
Judge: "Guilty."

Many state statutes allow the case to be dismissed or deferred if the driver/owner shows up at the hearing with the proof, or the fine will be minimal. However, if the driver is found guilty, the state MVD may follow up to see if the driver actually does not have insurance. This would be an administrative action and the burden then DOES shift to the driver/owner. These days, consequences can be dire for driving without insurance.

This is not a legal opinion, merely uninformed observations.:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Illinois REQUIRES all drivers to have minimal liability even to register the car. You must provide proof (i.e insurance card, statement from insurance company) that you have at least that. If you are stopped by the law, you must be able to produce that proof on the spot. You will be ticketed and must appear in court for this infraction. If you can prove at the court appearance that you had insurance in effect, there is only a small fine; BUT, it gives the police the right to investigate you more on the spot including search and seizure. No matter that what they do might be illegal, you will end up in court and you will need a lawyer. I have friends who have cards printed up (like business cards) with their lawyers name and phone number printed on them. If and when they are stopped by the law, they crack the car window, toss out the card to the police , and say "call my lawyer." They won't even speak to the law. This is, of course, legal. They do go sit in jail for a short while till the lawyer springs them, but in the long run, they are way ahead of the charges brought against them. Sounds ridiculous, but it works.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I can confirm that FLORIDA does allow you to self-insure. It actually only requires you to insure for "uninsured motorist" or liability.

Whether you insure for "comprehensive" or not is between you and your lienholder (if you have one).

Eric

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nota4re said:

Just came from a presentation on drunk driving. Learned there are two levels of charges :-
driving under the influence
driving under the influence over the legal limit

One drink can be a charge for driving under the influence.

Most get reduced to 'wet reckless' which the DMV rates a 5 points instead of 6 for a dui. Insurance companies rate both the same.

Frankly, a dui can happen once to anyone (who drinks). I have never had one, however have had to fire many employees that had poor driving records. Not my decision, my insurance carrier tells me who can work for me or not.

Wish I could say I never did a burn out or something that if a cop wanted to he could have busted me. Sorry for the lecture. :wink

Last edited: