Adding lightness

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"I never like to enter into a transaction where my best interest are at the mercy of a government bureaucrat! The last time was for a home remodel and that cost me a lot more time and money than I 1st thought! Well there is always "Hope and Change." " - 'ICE

'ZACTLY!

(On ALL counts...)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes, but you don't need to be a resident to have an out of state registration. That is, you can register cars out of state as a non-resident under certain guidelines. These cars can legally be driven in CA also under certain guidelines. Obviously you can't just register out of state then keep and use the car primarily in CA. If you have neighbors or if the car is remarkable in some way you are going to be busted.

I can honestly tell you, your wrong. If your a resident of California, meaning spend the majority of your time here you better have California plates on it. I live in Fresno, own homes in Neveda and illinois.

The next time you see a motorhome with Oregon plates where there is no sales tax towing a car with California plates and it is off to the side of the road with a CHP car behind it, you can bet it is not for a soeeding ticket, but registration violation.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I might be able to provide service to you. (I would have to talk to some folks I know who are in this kind of business.) PM me.

Mr. Mouse, if the business was legitimate, you could post the name.
The law is clear. The policy of this board is to protect the members.
Please post the name of this service. At this point I am putting on the moderator's cap.

Bony

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA

That page seems to say that the 500/yr exception registrations are for the purpose of not having to adhere to modern (current year) emission controls. If you meet current emission standards (say, by using a crate LS7 with factory ECU and OBD-II) would you be able to register your car without the hassle of getting a "Certificate of Sequence"?

I guess everyone I know that has done this also wants to be able to do whatever they want with the engine ...

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
First, I don't want to appear combative, just want to pass on correct information.

California does not care of another state will license a car as for example a 1965 Cobra or a 1932 Ford. Bringing in a kit car, homebuilt, whatever you choose to call it falls under the special construction rules and you start from scratch.

Even when you buy a new car, like I did with my Ford GT from another state it had to go and get another smog check.

Right. When I bought my FGT from AZ, I had to go through DMV inspection. *Even though* the car was originally a CA car and had never actually been registered in AZ -- it just went through a dealer in AZ who only held the title in passing. Also, this put the car on the 2 year smog program although it otherwise would have been 7 years.

As far as combative or correct info, your comment doesn't seem to correct or even be in response to the part of my post you quoted. It's good additional info but doesn't seem applicable to the kit car question.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
I can honestly tell you, your wrong. If your a resident of California, meaning spend the majority of your time here you better have California plates on it.

Only if the car is also primarily used in CA. Lots of folks have multiple homes and keep cars at their foreign homes. The occasional use of that (foreign registered) car in CA is fine.

The next time you see a motorhome with Oregon plates where there is no sales tax towing a car with California plates and it is off to the side of the road with a CHP car behind it, you can bet it is not for a soeeding ticket, but registration violation.

Yes but you will win in court if you can prove you primarily use the motorhome in OR and you are not registered in OR simply to avoid CA use tax. For example, by owning a home in OR where you keep the motorhome parked. Such cases are rare of course and almost everyone you see driving around with OR tags is trying to get away with something. But you are most certainly ALLOWED to have OR tags on your OR vehicle even if you are a CA resident.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Having all of the original smog equipment for a current year engine, e.g. 2007 Z06, means all of the stock smog equipment, stock Cats, manifolds, evap system, intake, ECU, etc. To adhere to the letter of the law a daunting task, most would like to avoid via SB100.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Mr. Mouse, if the business was legitimate, you could post the name.
The law is clear. The policy of this board is to protect the members.
Please post the name of this service. At this point I am putting on the moderator's cap.

It's not a service. I know two companies who build kit cars (ok, 1.5 companies) and I believe the one of them does a CA registration service for their customers. I will publically post the name of the company if they are willing to provide the service "standalone" without otherwise being their customer. The business is legitimate and has been in operation for at least 5 years (ok, kind of new) and has deep connections to "real" auto manufacturers even to the point of having access to prototype vehicles.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Only if the car is also primarily used in CA. Lots of folks have multiple homes and keep cars at their foreign homes. The occasional use of that (foreign registered) car in CA is fine.

Yes but you will win in court if you can prove you primarily use the motorhome in OR and you are not registered in OR simply to avoid CA use tax. For example, by owning a home in OR where you keep the motorhome parked. Such cases are rare of course and almost everyone you see driving around with OR tags is trying to get away with something. But you are most certainly ALLOWED to have OR tags on your OR vehicle even if you are a CA resident.

OK, I am not a lawyer, this is the FORD GT FORUM, this conversation belongs on one of the kit car forums.

Regarding the motorhome, California's position is if you spend the majority of your time here, as proved by your credit cards, cell phone records, they are entittled to the license fees for the motorhome, even though you have a house in Oregon.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It's not a service. I know two companies who build kit cars (ok, 1.5 companies) and I believe the one of them does a CA registration service for their customers. I will publically post the name of the company if they are willing to provide the service "standalone" without otherwise being their customer. The business is legitimate and has been in operation for at least 5 years (ok, kind of new) and has deep connections to "real" auto manufacturers even to the point of having access to prototype vehicles.

BULLSHIT! Companies that build turnkey cars must pass all the same crash testing, DOT requirements that Ford or Chevrolet have to. I have no doubt that people break the law every day. But that does not make it right, and guess what, the buyer will get the plates lifted.

Do you read my post, that on my brand new Shelby Series One with the Paxton blower CARB said that Shelby did not present the right paperwork.
DMV lifted my plates, VENTURE INDUSTRIES was going through bankruptcy. So I bent over and took it right up the tail pipe.

FYI, California DMV is looking at component cars (Shebly CSX, Superformance, Back Draft Racing etc.) who sell a roller where you just drop in a drive train from their friendly dealer who gets a complete package from Roush and others very closely. They say these are not kit cars, and they are 110% correct.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Having all of the original smog equipment for a current year engine, e.g. 2007 Z06, means all of the stock smog equipment, stock Cats, manifolds, evap system, intake, ECU, etc. To adhere to the letter of the law a daunting task, most would like to avoid via SB100.

If you have a presmog block (1967 and earlier) you may skirt this, but you motor would have to pass the smog test for that year of the block. Can't do it with big cams, double pumper etc.

If your running a 70's block you have to have every blasted piece of smog equipment on the car as it left the factory... that included the air cleaner etc.

Otherwise, your spot on. Remember all the evap equipment includes the canisters and fuel tank systems... just impossible to do.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Bottom line CA is not a friendly place for car buffs, gun owners, or people with high incomes! Now if you come from south of the border and want free heathcare and the ability to drive without a license, or registration and want to be a criminal worry free from prosecution, just live in one of the many sanctuary cities in CA such as SF. But if you are a tax paying car buff, don't even think about driving a vehicle without the proper documentation and registration.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Bottom line CA is not a friendly place for car buffs, gun owners, or people with high incomes! Now if you come from south of the border and want free heathcare and the ability to drive without a license, or registration and want to be a criminal worry free from prosecution, just live in one of the many sanctuary cities in CA such as SF. But if you are a tax paying car buff, don't even think about driving a vehicle without the proper documentation and registration.

BRAVO!

SteveA
Sandpoint Id
The former business owning, tax paying, gun toting, Californian car buff.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Different states have different views on "residency". This is an issue that I have gone round and round over many times in the past. At the end of the day states like to declare you a resident of their state so they can collect tax dollars from you ... Missouri likes to place its claim on your income if you spend more than xx days a year in the state. Several other states are similar. Just imagine yourself in a situation that 3 states claim you as a permanent resident in a year!

Now with that said, there is always a legal defense to these claims. Also if you own a home in another state and you have a CAR registered in that state and you drive it in California for less than x number of days a year I doubt that there would be a registration violation.

I went to court over a similar issue with my DL since one state had a 30 day rule. I stated to the judge that I lived in multiple states and spent "adequate" time in both states and if I complied with the law I would get a new license three times a year! He wrote an order that relieved me of my obligation under the 30 day rule. Sent that order to the department of revenue .... problem solved. Since California is the land of liberal judges I don't think it would be difficult to ask for a favorable ruling on the legality of driving your property in the state.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Since California is the land of liberal judges I don't think it would be difficult to ask for a favorable ruling on the legality of driving your property in the state.

You got to be kidding.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
You got to be kidding.

Ok maybe I had one too many beers tonight ... but then again I only had one. :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
IMHO I think the California Department of Motor Vehicles has more power than the Municipal and State Courts....:frown

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
IMHO I think the California Department of Motor Vehicles has more power than the Municipal and State Courts....:frown

So true. :bored

H

HHGT

I am now a licensed CA car salesman. I work as a driver :biggrin and as an occasional salesman for a friend of mine :lol who owns a dealership. I get paid commissions only and have declined health benefits :wink. In exchange, I get to use a dealer plate.

I own enough cars and own businesses in and out of the the state of CA. As soon as my house build is done and I have time :willy I will be starting a Wholesale Auto Dealer and get my own Dealer Plates. I've done the homework, just waiting on execution.

When I start selling cars, I'll pay my fees here to become a sponsor and see if any of you guys are interested in used Pacers, Vegas, Ramblers or 60s era station wagons.

:cheers

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Sema has been working on getting cars like the Ultima more easily licensed in various states. Might be worth a call to them.