Adding lightness

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Cuda is correct. It is absurd when one stops to think that California is the biggest market of a multibillion dollar hot rod - custom creation industry and we allow 5oo numbers to be issued a year. Lets face it these cars are not driven much and are not the cause of bad air and smog.

But until the laws are changed, the law is the law.

Just had coffee with a guy today that bought a Corvette at auction, had it restored, won a NCRS Top Flight and last week the CHP came to his house and confiscated it, because it was a stolen car and had a counterfeit tittle. He is screwed and now dealing with the legitimate owner to buy it back.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just had coffee with a guy today that bought a Corvette at auction, had it restored, won a NCRS Top Flight and last week the CHP came to his house and confiscated it, because it was a stolen car and had a counterfeit tittle. He is screwed and now dealing with the legitimate owner to buy it back.

Sounds like a new business opportunity, title insurance for cars. Carfax far from that.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Thank you. Could you provide some contact info so I could reach them?
And re this thread, I didn't mean to generate such an intense discussion. But since I did, I'll add to it.
I plan to buy the car in 'kit' form. But it can be ordered as a roller - sans engine and transmission. One comment indicated that the law may look at those differently.
Separately, I plan on loading a current LS-7 with cats in to the car. I presume it will meet CA requirements (I've discussed it with the crate vendor and it is designed to do so).
So, is the SP100 (sp?) rule designed for non-compliant smog machines? Or for non-standard manufacturer machines? I'm so confused.
Apologies in advance,
Rich

Sema has been working on getting cars like the Ultima more easily licensed in various states. Might be worth a call to them.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Think you better do lots of homework before your write a check.
Reread what DMV is considering doing with 'rollers' which are not homebuilt cars.
Already pointed you to two sites to go to. A few hours surfing there will save you $$$
Reread Ice's remarks about what you need to do to pass smog unless you get lucky and get a SB100 number. Understand which DMV offices understand the procedure.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
As Bony pointed out it is very difficult, if not impossible to get a current production engine and all of its smog equipment into a "roller" kitcar. e.g. By the letter of the law if you mod anything from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers you will fail. Now how are you going to get a Vette exhaust system to fit a mid-engine without any mods. Now you might get lucky with the inspector, but that is not something I would depend on with $100K, others might. I am not aware of DMW position on rollers, but if Bony is right then it is a no go from the beginning!

IMO, depending a government bureaucrat to rule favorably on your behalf, is like believing the Obama will lower your taxes! Some call me a pessimist. I tell them I am a realist.

Last edited:

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
To be clear, I'm not yet close to writing a check. And this is all very helpful. I clearly have a lot more research to do. Ack'd.

Think you better do lots of homework before your write a check.
Reread what DMV is considering doing with 'rollers' which are not homebuilt cars.
Already pointed you to two sites to go to. A few hours surfing there will save you $$$
Reread Ice's remarks about what you need to do to pass smog unless you get lucky and get a SB100 number. Understand which DMV offices understand the procedure.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Regarding the motorhome, California's position is if you spend the majority of your time here, as proved by your credit cards, cell phone records, they are entittled to the license fees for the motorhome, even though you have a house in Oregon.

i don't believe that to be true (but like all things i could be proven wrong), for one thing because there is a 90 day rule. if you buy a car and register it in OR, and bring it in (register it) in CA within 90 days, you still have to pay a sales/use tax. After 90 days, it is considered to have been legitimately purchased for use in the foreign state and when you bring it in to CA it is just as if you moved here for the first time with your personal property and are not penalized with additional taxes.

They had temporarily raised it to 1 year but it is back to 90 days now.

Even the 90 day rule can be contested, it is just that it is assumed that if you import it within 90 days you were only trying to avoid taxes. I think you have to pay the tax first then you can appeal or contest it or whatever the process is.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
As Bony pointed out it is very difficult, if not impossible to get a current production engine and all of its smog equipment into a "roller" kitcar. e.g. By the letter of the law if you mod anything from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers you will fail. Now how are you going to get a Vette exhaust system to fit a mid-engine without any mods. Now you might get lucky with the inspector, but that is not something I would depend on with $100K, others might. I am not aware of DMW position on rollers, but if Bony is right then it is a no go from the beginning!

Disappointing, also as Bony says, since these cars are not contributors to the air quality problem.

I thought cat-back changes were CARB legal? I've seen new corvettes sold at dealers (note: sold as NEW cars) with modified cat-back exhaust.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
As with everything associated with the government .. it all comes down to how they can fleece you.

Politics- \Poli\..(many), \tics\..(blood sucking insects)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Disappointing, also as Bony says, since these cars are not contributors to the air quality problem.

I thought cat-back changes were CARB legal? I've seen new corvettes sold at dealers (note: sold as NEW cars) with modified cat-back exhaust.

In California you could change any part out if it has a CARB number.
For instance, WHIPPLE has a carb number and will pass a smog visual test.
But any part on that does not have a CARB number and if the inspector finds it your unit will fail the test.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
i don't believe that to be true (but like all things i could be proven wrong), for one thing because there is a 90 day rule. if you buy a car and register it in OR, and bring it in (register it) in CA within 90 days, you still have to pay a sales/use tax. After 90 days, it is considered to have been legitimately purchased for use in the foreign state and when you bring it in to CA it is just as if you moved here for the first time with your personal property and are not penalized with additional taxes.

They had temporarily raised it to 1 year but it is back to 90 days now.

Even the 90 day rule can be contested, it is just that it is assumed that if you import it within 90 days you were only trying to avoid taxes. I think you have to pay the tax first then you can appeal or contest it or whatever the process is.

The issue is not the sales tax on the unit, but that Oregon and some other states plates are much
cheaper than California. No argument, if you keep the unit out of California for a period of time, you can beat the sales tax.

When I bought my boat I moored it in Seattle for 6 months and one week.
Beat the sales tax, and then only paid the number fee.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I had turbos that were on a car I owned that were behind the exhaust pipes and covered by the rear valance of the car. It passed smog three times including when I sold it......but Bony is right, if they would have seen the turbos it would have failed.

The one good thing about the smog law is that the inspection station can not remove panels/go inside the car. As long as the mod is not visible you are okay.

What I don't understand is why any of this matters if the exhaust from the vehicle passes the test? It is just :bs

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Yes, I stand corrected. I meant to say from manifolds to the cats have to be stock. No, cuts, bends, subtractions, or additions without a CARB number. Still very tough to do, with most stock systems. Note this also applies to the vapor recovering system, ECU system etc. Many stock ECU cannot be used on rollers without duplicating all of the stock systems, e.g. air bags, instrument cluster, radios, door locks, etc, without re-programming them, which is a violation.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What I don't understand is why any of this matters if the exhaust from the vehicle passes the test? It is just :bs

BINGO!!! :thumbsup

And the ANSWER, of course, is (all together now) - REVENUE!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
BINGO!!! :thumbsup

And the ANSWER, of course, is (all together now) - REVENUE!!!

Because it is CA! :ack

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ice mentioned SEMA and here is an update:-
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62292

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
You're getting off light.

The issue is not the sales tax on the unit, but that in Oregon and some other states plates are much cheaper than California.

I picked up a new 2008 Ford Taurus at Santa Margarita Ford a month ago. California license plates were over $100 cheaper than Arizona license plates. If Arizona is not the most expensive state in the country to plate a vehicle, it can't be far from it.

Chip

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I just reg. the GT here in Idaho. New plate fee, personalized plates fee and 1 year reg.= $62.00

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I just reg. the GT here in Idaho. New plate fee, personalized plates fee and 1 year reg.= $62.00

And that is just one of the many reasons I am considering making the jump from CA to Texas in a few years. :cheers

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

Yes, but consider where you have to live! :lol

Just kidding. I used to live in Mt. Home, ID...enjoyed it very much.