AC Cobra

H

HHGT

Not really sure where to post this, so please move the thread if need be and my appologies in advance.

Question; If you have any knowledge of AC Cobra Replicas, please pm me. I'm considering buying one. Alternatively, if anyone knows of any CSX4000 for sale in the SouthWest, please let me know as well.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Google Cobra Country for their list of ads.

A kit is only as good as the builder.

Contact me with your questions.
I will be glad to helo you.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Cobra replicas

I have plenty of info on both original and replica Cobras. Be happy to help you out.

You might want to log on over at http://www.clubcobra.com/ and look around. Lots of info there, including the good, the bad, and the ugly about various manufacturers.

regards,

Jeff

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I've always heard:

ERA #1
CAV #2

Would be curious to hear from folks with first hand knowledge who have worked on both or owned them (or others). I've also wondered how they actually hold up after 10 years or so.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've been in the hunt for a Cobra for about the last 6 months. From what I have seen so far, Kirkham is way to go for me. The workmanship in their cars is about the best I have ever seen on anything. Feast your eyes on the following photographs.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Sinovac/DSC_0158.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Sinovac/DSC_0156.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Sinovac/DSC_0154.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Kirkham polished aluminum body is too spectacular for words....

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Sinovac/DSC_0161.jpg

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Cobra info.

Question; If you have any knowledge of AC Cobra Replicas, please pm me. I'm considering buying one. Alternatively, if anyone knows of any CSX4000 for sale in the SouthWest, please let me know as well.

HHGT,

Speaking from personal experience, Bony and CobraJeff can provide everything you want to know. During one 20 minute phone conversation, Daniel provided me with more information than I was able to assemble during an entire month of research. Here's a rough breakdown of prices for used Cobras/replicas that have been properly finished and display excellent workmanship.

60's vintage CSX 2000/3000 Cobras-$500,000+
CSX 4000 aluminum cars-$150K
CSX 4000 glass cars-$90-100K
Kirkham aluminum cars-$90-100K

note -- all of the above will be included in the next edition of the Shelby American World Registry. Cars listed below will not be in the SAAC Registry and are all glass cars.

Superformance glass cars-$45-55K (rollers are beautifully finished and expertly painted, I think they're a great deal)
ERA-$40-55K (far less factory work and much more owner work so build quality varies quite a bit more than Superformance)
everything else --$20-45K (you'll find a real hodgepodge here, dozens of different kit makers and an endless variety of powertrains, mostly small block Fords.

Bottom line, call Bony or PM him and he'll set you straight. If you want some information specifically about the Kirkham feel free to PM me. It gets a ton of attention and I've been quite happy with it. Photo below.

Cobras are like machine guns, you don't often take them out but when you do it's a lot of fun.

Chip

Attachments

• Cobra 123.jpg
    Cobra 123.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 299

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I've always heard:

ERA #1
CAV #2

Would be curious to hear from folks with first hand knowledge who have worked on both or owned them (or others). I've also wondered how they actually hold up after 10 years or so.

CAV never produced a COBRA, there were supposed to be a source for Shelby, but that didn't work out, they went into bankruptcy.

Now the folks that took over their company produce a GT 40, Gordo from South Carolina has one. ERA had a great GT40, including a big block version that sadly has no room for AC.

If your looking for a GT40, the hot ticket is Superformance who has the rights to the continuation of the serial numbers of the originals, plus can call their cars GT40's. Their workmanship is spectacular, as is CAV's and ERA's but their car is a basic roller.

Also check out Fran's cars, he comes on line here from time to time. Have never heard a bad word about him. Go to the GT40 site and get all the dope you need over there.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
HHGT,

Speaking from personal experience, Bony and CobraJeff can provide everything you want to know. During one 20 minute phone conversation, Daniel provided me with more information than I was able to assemble during an entire month of research. Here's a rough breakdown of prices for used Cobras/replicas that have been properly finished and display excellent workmanship.

60's vintage CSX 2000/3000 Cobras-$500,000+
CSX 4000 aluminum cars-$150K
CSX 4000 glass cars-$90-100K
Kirkham aluminum cars-$90-100K

note -- all of the above will be included in the next edition of the Shelby American World Registry. Cars listed below will not be in the SAAC Registry and are all glass cars.

Superformance glass cars-$45-55K (rollers are beautifully finished and expertly painted, I think they're a great deal)
ERA-$40-55K (far less factory work and much more owner work so build quality varies quite a bit more than Superformance)
everything else --$20-45K (you'll find a real hodgepodge here, dozens of different kit makers and an endless variety of powertrains, mostly small block Fords.

Bottom line, call Bony or PM him and he'll set you straight. If you want some information specifically about the Kirkham feel free to PM me. It gets a ton of attention and I've been quite happy with it. Photo below.

Cobras are like machine guns, you don't often take them out but when you do it's a lot of fun.

Chip

Good recap, also, make sure you have someone that can help you smooth out any rough edges like Gordon Levy.

Hate to open the door to a Cobra shootout, (if you go to CLUBCOBRA you will see what mean) (and.... it won't be allowed at this site) but Evan aka Hellcat is an expert as well.... but he can get very carried away (warning buddy:biggrin), but truly knows his stuff and owns a fantastic CSX4000 car.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Bony, you need to moderate yourself; that is obscene!

:thumbsdow

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Save the whales!
Bony
Sierra Club member

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Save the whales!
Bony
Sierra Club member

That whale must be eating more than phankton, maybe a some beans.

H

HHGT

Guys, thanks for the response and advice. I'll do the research on the sites recommended and repost or pm.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The whale went bye-bye... I am sorry to offended a fellow member of the Sierra Club. We commie, pinko, left wing San Francisco boys must stick together... please forgive me.:biggrin:rofl:biggrin

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Contemporary #1
ERA #2

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
CAV never produced a COBRA, there were supposed to be a source for Shelby, but that didn't work out, they went into bankruptcy.

Now the folks that took over their company produce a GT 40, Gordo from South Carolina has one. ERA had a great GT40, including a big block version that sadly has no room for AC.

If your looking for a GT40, the hot ticket is Superformance who has the rights to the continuation of the serial numbers of the originals, plus can call their cars GT40's. Their workmanship is spectacular, as is CAV's and ERA's but their car is a basic roller.

Also check out Fran's cars, he comes on line here from time to time. Have never heard a bad word about him. Go to the GT40 site and get all the dope you need over there.

You're right, sorry, I was thinking of a GT40 replica.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
getting ready to buy one..

We are very close to ordering a Superformance roller and installing a Ford Crate motor. Margaret drove one in Ohio. Cobra Jeff is investigating for us ..our big question...HAVE ANY OF YOU ADDED POWER STEERING TO YOUR CAR.? That is the one item holding us up...Margaret cannot drive the car with only the manual rack and pinion..
any advice;.?
AJB andy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Contemporary #1
ERA #2

Conteporary out of biz, molds bought by Factory Five.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
We are very close to ordering a Superformance roller and installing a Ford Crate motor. Margaret drove one in Ohio. Cobra Jeff is investigating for us ..our big question...HAVE ANY OF YOU ADDED POWER STEERING TO YOUR CAR.? That is the one item holding us up...Margaret cannot drive the car with only the manual rack and pinion..
any advice;.?
AJB andy

Cobra or GT40?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
A/C Cobra (like Chips except Superformance instead of Kirkham)
ajb