A GT Quandry

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
You people are fantastic. I may buy one just to keep the conversation going!

Thanks all.

very observant of you! most of the fun of owning a gt(about 51%) is because of the forum.:cheers (the other 49% is when at WOT:lol)

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
I think you are well and truly hooked Adams:biggrin
We do seem to have similair taste in wheels, in fact over the years it has been uncanny how we have both posted along the same lines at the same time, yet we are seperated by the Atlantic!!
Like you, I can feel the bottom of my pocket, and had to sell to buy the GT. In fact my original plan was to buy a Diablo 6.0 and I had found a beautiful black car, but the owner decided not to sell. Just as I began the search again, my tungsten GT appeared on the radar, I was lucky, as there are only three in this country, and my car was never advertised, more a case of a forced sale as part of a collapsed hubbie/wife situation. I happened to know the broker and managed to strike a deal, and to be honest, once the GT came along as a potential, any thoughts of a Diablo went out the window.
If I were in your position, I would forget the Z8. Lovely car, and very rare, but if you want a soft top cruiser, there are better options, although the Z8 will probably stay firm in value.
I would try and keep one of the Ferrari's, as you know, to me a Black BB512 is the ultimate, one of the most beautiful models ever, but the 512TR is a far better car, and just as rewarding to drive, and the flat 12 in the 512TR is at its peak in that model.
So, forget the Z8, keep the Boxer and the TR, sell the Viper, and whatever body parts you have to and buy the GT.
I guarantee you will love it.
PS do not even consider selling the Pantera.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I have a ?

What do they call a Z-8 in Canada??????
Would it be a Zed-8......?

H

HHGT

In the MINI world, we call the phenomenon, "mushrooming," although my stock towers are holding up okay, even with 18 inch wheels / tires.

As far as the Z8 goes, I know that me (and HHGT) are big fans of the Z8, but I'm pretty sure that both of us would agree, given the either or choice, it would be GT > Z8, for a variety of reasons. And both of us would truly enjoy owning a Z8, parked next to a GT.

Here's my DINAN, Stage II. Because for me, unlike HHGT, the BMW universe is bigger than the Z8 and the classics.

GMGcoop1.jpg

You had to drag me into this Randy. I was soooo close to buying the Z8 twice and decided not to the last minute - 7 cars in the garage was the only reason. Someday I will buy a Z8, chassis problems or otherwise I dont care. As for the rest of the modern BMWs :ack:ack:ack:ack

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
I think you are well and truly hooked Adams:biggrin
We do seem to have similair taste in wheels, in fact over the years it has been uncanny how we have both posted along the same lines at the same time, yet we are seperated by the Atlantic!!

Just as I began the search again, my tungsten GT appeared on the radar, <snip> I would try and keep one of the Ferrari's, as you know, to me a Black BB512 is the ultimate, one of the most beautiful models ever, but the 512TR is a far better car, and just as rewarding to drive, and the flat 12 in the 512TR is at its peak in that model.

So, forget the Z8, keep the Boxer and the TR, sell the Viper, and whatever body parts you have to and buy the GT.

PS do not even consider selling the Pantera.

Great response Steve. I followed your Lambo 6.0 quest a bit. Looks like it all happened for a reason!

You're dead on with the Fcar comments. The 512 is a 'peak' of the flat 12 world to me. Drove that car all weekend; came away grinning each time.

I'm really having a time with the 'selling' of any of these, all special in their own way. Oddly, the Viper is the ONLY one I take on any trips (its fast, modern, I fully trust it, plus a zillion Dodge dealers) so a hard one to cut loose.

A fun 'hard' decision to have to make however. Given our similar tastes, did YOU ever consider a Z8?

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
Yes curiously I did consider buying a Z8. I love how they look, but at the time it was against buying my second ferrari Boxer, I would never rate one against a GT, I am not saying the GT is a better car than the Boxer, although it is technically of course, they are however not comparable, two totally different cars and era's. I however had already owned a Boxer for two years, and the Z8 was something completely different. What stopped me.......well curiously the fact that it is an open top car, one of its main attractions, would also for me be one of its greatest drawbacks, it is not exactly sunny and dry all the time in Ireland!!

Hans

Jul 16, 2008
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
I have a ?

What do they call a Z-8 in Canada??????
Would it be a Zed-8......?

Of course we do!! A zee-8 just sounds wrong, same with zee06! anyway, it should be zed-8 and zed-06

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Yes curiously I did consider buying a Z8. . "and the Z8 was something completely different."

What stopped me.......well curiously the fact that it is an open top car, one of its main attractions, would also for me be one of its greatest drawbacks, it is not exactly sunny and dry all the time in Ireland!!

Our similarities continue. I'd probably never take the hardtop off. We have plenty of sunshine here, I just don't care for top-down driving. My grandfather was part Irish, must be a latent gene trait clinging on!

The 'completely different' is what has got my attention. Four mid engned supercars would be a bit much for my meager aspirations. So, back to the 'what to get rid of' question. I'm driving myself batty. Looked at GTs online for a couple hours today, called Shelby and another dealer with a GT listed.

So you still have the 365BB? Can't keep it all straight!

Last edited:

Heritage Club

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2008
A,

I currently have a GT, '06 Viper and a Z8. Some observations....
My wife Hates the Viper, thinks the GT is "cool" and absolutely LOVES the Z8. It's not just luggage space or a different door, the Z8 is way superior in comfort and useability vs. the other 2.

Now, as a dude, I prefer the GT over the Z8 and feel, as an investment, both cars seem to be among the best at holding value. The Viper is a cool car to look at and take to the track, but I would dump mine WAY BEFORE I would sell the GT or Z8. Plus the Viper (IMHO) sounds like a dump truck.

As for the Z8 frame issue, I've never seen or heard from an owner that had the actual problem. I have seen pictures however so I'm not saying the issue is completely false. I changed my tires out (no run flats) and feel very comfortable driving the car.

In the end, get the GT and tell your wife to pack light. Good luck!

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
A,

I currently have a GT, '06 Viper and a Z8. Some observations....
My wife Hates the Viper, thinks the GT is "cool" and absolutely LOVES the Z8. It's not just luggage space or a different door, the Z8 is way superior in comfort and useability vs. the other 2.

Now, as a dude, I prefer the GT over the Z8 and feel, as an investment, both cars seem to be among the best at holding value. The Viper is a cool car to look at and take to the track, but I would dump mine WAY BEFORE I would sell the GT or Z8. Plus the Viper (IMHO) sounds like a dump truck.

As for the Z8 frame issue, I've never seen or heard from an owner that had the actual problem. I have seen pictures however so I'm not saying the issue is completely false. I changed my tires out (no run flats) and feel very comfortable driving the car.

In the end, get the GT and tell your wife to pack light. Good luck!

What a great perspective. I can imagine my wife loving the Z8 as well. She is 'ok' about the other cars, except the Pantera is a little loud for her. (I'm half deaf, doesn't bother me at all!)

But the driving comfort and near utility would be another point. Ultimately, looks like I'm either going to have to make some more dough or make a trade to get both.

Packing light is surely the right way to go. Thanks again for all the comments. This is helping more than you know!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Kids: Chill out.

Many deletes made.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Kids: Chill out.

Many deletes made.

:thumbsup

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
Mr.DBK,
I admire your patience.

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
Our similarities continue. I'd probably never take the hardtop off. We have plenty of sunshine here, I just don't care for top-down driving. My grandfather was part Irish, must be a latent gene trait clinging on!

The 'completely different' is what has got my attention. Four mid engned supercars would be a bit much for my meager aspirations. So, back to the 'what to get rid of' question. I'm driving myself batty. Looked at GTs online for a couple hours today, called Shelby and another dealer with a GT listed.

So you still have the 365BB? Can't keep it all straight!

It was a BB512 Adams, and I sold it to buy the GT..........well initially the plan was to buy a Diablo 6.0, but the owner decided not to sell, then along came the GT.
I regret selling the Boxer, but I have owned two, and it is all about experience to me, the GT was an aspiration, and any of us could be gone tomorrow, so grab it while you can.
I have been giving a lot of thought to your quandry, and understand why you wish to keep the Viper, some degree of practicality. But between the 512TR and the 512BBi, it is a difficult choice. The TR is a great car, with the useability there for a weekend away. Looks fantastic, huge road presence, tough mechanically, and they can shift in a way that matches the looks.
But the BBi is so special in a way more modern Ferraris are not. The TR looks impressive more because of its sheer size and width, the Boxer looks impressive because it is just downright beautiful, I think it is a masterpiece in car styling. I always remember asking a friend to drive my Boxer as I stood roadside, to watch and listen, and as he came towards me, I noticed how for instance, you can see the bonnet rise up over the front wheels and drop away towards the cabin, making the rearmost section invisible, then the large screen appears upwards out of nowhere, the low wide roofline, the delicate front pillars with the base hidden by the clamshell. Look at the car side on and it is difficult to imagine how they managed to get the huge flat 12 in there. Pull the rear clam (clam shell openings are just soo cool) and the engine bay just looks awesome. To top it off, the driving experience really is far more visceral than the TR, not better technically, but definitely put a bigger smile on my face than when I drove a TR, and to me that is what it is about.
If you have to sell one Ferrari, keep the Boxer, .
Have you driven a GT??? If not, organise the test drive, only then can you decide.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Thanks Steve. You're a fan and a friend. You nailed the differences well.

To many GT guys here (and ladies I hope) I know my coming on here wondering 'if' on the car should be a foregone conclusion. With endless funds and space, I'd already have one. Or two.

Yet like many decisions, seeking counsel - especially from those 'in the know' - was my best route. The enjoyment so far has come unexpectedly from getting to 'know' the people. For that, I'm doubly appreciative.

So, a car has to go to make "GT" room (physically and financially). There are worse decisions to have to make ;) and only in a group like this could I even pose it without feelling half embrarrassed.

Steve, this won't surprise you at all, but after much consideration, I've decided the Boxer can't leave. It was the first 'it' car for me. A financial stretch at the time. When I found it, the seller and I became fast friends (still are). He read me the VIN and fate intervened: it had my wife and mine's wedding date in it. In three weeks we celebrate 25 years together.

Without boring the entire GT forum any more, just know I'm a major GT fan, curious to know what it's like 'on the field' and how you got there. I'll get there eventually, and the input is hugely helpful.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Anyone Know this White GT for Sale?

Car has been on ebay a few times. CarFax says has been around too. Services or registration in: PA, DE, CA, NE, 'slight' single car encounter in NC back in June 07. (Am getting details now.) Sold new in the midwest somewhere.

Car is at Porsche of the Mainline, ( is that near Philly?) Will be heading there soon on other business. Anyone familiar or has actually seen this car?

http://www.porscheofthemainline.com/detail-2005-ford-gt-used-5138889.html

Thanks for any help at all.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If it has stories, probably would run. At 27,000 miles, can probably find a no stories white car for near same price. Call Shelby, Marv or Bernie here

Last edited:

Tom B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 1, 2005
Fallston, MD
Car has been on ebay a few times. CarFax says has been around too. Services or registration in: PA, DE, CA, NE, 'slight' single car encounter in NC back in June 07. (Am getting details now.) Sold new in the midwest somewhere.

Car is at Porsche of the Mainline, ( is that near Philly?) Will be heading there soon on other business. Anyone familiar or has actually seen this car?

http://www.porscheofthemainline.com/detail-2005-ford-gt-used-5138889.html

Thanks for any help at all.

The car was owned by a exotic rental car company that went out of business. Mainline was hired to sell the cars for the lien holder / bank.

I have purchased numerous cars from Mainline Porsche, formerly Brandywine Porsche, they are a great dealership. Personally I would stay away from this car.

Good Luck -

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
CobraJeff would know something about this car if he decides to leave Florida and quit snowbirding.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
The car was owned by a exotic rental car company that went out of business. Mainline was hired to sell the cars for the lien holder / bank.

I have purchased numerous cars from Mainline Porsche, formerly Brandywine Porsche, they are a great dealership. Personally I would stay away from this car.

Good Luck -

Thanks for that insight. The rental part explains both the miles and the remarkable distance from various services in the car's history. And I'd imagine that some folks might want to 'get their money's worth' out of a high performance rental. Probably will steer clear of this one.