A GT Quandry

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think the z8 is a beautiful car, I love the lines, and I know it will be a classic, but If i was to buy another car at 120-130K price range it would be anohter ford gt! thats just me!:biggrin

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
the cool King Ralphie speaks.

:cheers

When it gets hot, cooling off in the water seems to help. :biggrin

That photo has caused me to completely lose my train of... what was the question again?

I have owned a black/crema Z8 for the past 8 years. The only other car that spark my attention since then has been the Ford GT. I just took delivery of a low mileage white/ blue stripe 2005 on 3/31/2010. I love it. I also love the Z8. Although very different from a technical stand point, they are very similar in concept. Both halo cars from big time manufacturers, that echo in flavor, former pinnacle cars of historical significance.
The discussion of the Z8's shock tower problems was proven to be way over blown, and if the poster who is referring to the German clubs original letters, <snip>
GT and Z8 both very different, but seem to appeal to the same auto enthusiasts.

Great post. Thanks for the dual perspective. I also understand the prevailing and over-popularized stereotypes.

As a Pantera owner, every 'half' educated Pantera critic asks me if the car still overheats. I tell them, "Not since about 1974". They don't realize that a thousand upgrades are on the market to alleviate this to the point of spitting crushed ice from the radiators.

Far as the Z8 shock tower outies are concerned, I guess the prudency is making sure the tires are no longer the cement-filled run-flats.

I think the z8 is a beautiful car, I love the lines, and I know it will be a classic, but If i was to buy another car at 120-130K price range it would be anohter ford gt! thats just me!:biggrin

Two GTs? This may meet the definition of "too much of a good thing"!

Y'all keep the awesome comments coming. Thanks again.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
That photo has caused me to completely lose my train of... what was the question again?

Two GTs? This may meet the definition of "too much of a good thing"!

Y'all keep the awesome comments coming. Thanks again.

haha, only if you knew what you are in for when you buy the gt:rofl there are numerous members here that have more than one, and some as many as four or five! so when I said I would buy another I meant a third one! ya its that good!:thumbsup

bluegtarrival177-1.jpg

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
You need a little variety! It's the spice of life!!

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

I agree. Would love to see pics of the Fisker....never seen one in person. Is that the one based on the SL or the M6?

Sorry for the off topic.....to the original poster, the Z8 is a stunning car, with one of the best V8's ever the S62.....but while it would be a great addition to a FGT, I would never take one instead....

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
(though some days I would trade a kid or 2 for my F-150):wink

I know what you mean, it's getting even harder to hold on to my kids with the upcoming release of the 6.2L Raptor. :biggrin

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Far as the Z8 shock tower outies are concerned, I guess the prudency is making sure the tires are no longer the cement-filled run-flats.

In the MINI world, we call the phenomenon, "mushrooming," although my stock towers are holding up okay, even with 18 inch wheels / tires.

As far as the Z8 goes, I know that me (and HHGT) are big fans of the Z8, but I'm pretty sure that both of us would agree, given the either or choice, it would be GT > Z8, for a variety of reasons. And both of us would truly enjoy owning a Z8, parked next to a GT.

Here's my DINAN, Stage II. Because for me, unlike HHGT, the BMW universe is bigger than the Z8 and the classics.

GMGcoop1.jpg

Last edited:

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
I agree. Would love to see pics of the Fisker....never seen one in person. Is that the one based on the SL or the M6?

Sorry for the off topic.....to the original poster, the Z8 is a stunning car, with one of the best V8's ever the S62.....but while it would be a great addition to a FGT, I would never take one instead....

It's based on an SL 55. Mine is serial no.001. There were only 23 built.

Attachments

• MAY 25 (2) (Medium).JPG
    MAY 25 (2) (Medium).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 241

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

I do have variety, one black and one blue :)

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
I do have variety, one black and one blue :)

That's what colors I'd be if I brought two home.

I'd happily take just one, in blue or tungsten. See, I'm easy.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
...Obviously the GT is a tall order for me. Pricey (for me) but doable.

...I've also looked hard at the BMW Z8.

I was in the exact same boat in '06. I bought my GT and have had no regrets.

Good luck in your search.

Best Regards,
Waldo

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Owned a Z8 and loved her.

I was forced to sell the Z8 for the Ford GT. Couldn't afford both.

A friend once asked me how I felt about the change.

I said it was like ...........breaking up with a High School sweetheart and then after going out with a supermodel.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
GT vs other cars

Sell everything else then buy the FGT! Simple.

Ed

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Owned a Z8 and loved her.

I was forced to sell the Z8 for the Ford GT. Couldn't afford both.

A friend once asked me how I felt about the change.

I said it was like ...........breaking up with a High School sweetheart and then after going out with a supermodel.

Great one. Now THAT'S another true voice of experience. Thanks.

I go back and forth on the cars and am driving myself even nuttier.

I drove the 512TR today and think 'What will I gain with ANOTHER mid engined crazy car?' (Aside from another 130hp and capabilities I can only dream of?!?!) I really need to go drive one and get this either IN or OUT of my system.

One dumb thing - and this may only be a dream for me - but as a reliable exotic, seems taking a 'trip' of some kind would fit. So, where oh where does ANY luggage go? Any of you guys ever take your wife on an any version of overnight trip with that 'glovebox' of a front trunk?

Sell everything else then buy the FGT! Simple.

Ed

You're really not helping! Even though you're probably right! :wink

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
The trunk is my only complaint with the GT. We have used the Z8 for a four day weekend trip that included a wedding. One point for the Z8.
Buy BOTH!!!

Do I get a prize for my 100th post?

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I have taken my wife on several weekend trips in the GT. Isn't the concept of less clothing a good thing on a getaway. :wink

I find the less packed the happier I am. :lol :cheers

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
And the clothes come out ironed and hot!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
AHudson, I as a 7 or 8 year old had a slot car GT 40 and in the gulf colors and somehow or another ended up acquiring - just had to have it - a Ford GT recently. I love it. It's a can't lose car.

I had the same HO Slot Car!:banana

You must be my age, I'm 52.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hudson, there are lots of old posts here about packing for trips with women. The trunk does offer space, but it does get HOT, so nothing that can boil or melt. There is surprisingly large amount of space behind the seats. Pack a smaller bag and let it sit between your passenger's feet on the floor. I've done thousands of miles this way; OR pack her up and put her on a plane with all the luggage and have a nice, quiet ride by yourself.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
You people are fantastic. I may buy one just to keep the conversation going!

The trunk is my only complaint with the GT. One point for the Z8.
Buy BOTH!!!

Do I get a prize for my 100th post?

YES! You get to keep posting! (Newbie taking liberties; on verge of being booted for assumed authority.)

I agree the Z8 trunk is like a 'real' trunk. A luxury I don't really have in anything.

I have taken my wife on several weekend trips in the GT. Isn't the concept of less clothing a good thing on a getaway. :wink

I find the less packed the happier I am. :lol :cheers

INDEED! Why didn't I think of that? Lesser is betterer and far more gooder.

And the clothes come out ironed and hot!

Another bonus! "Sure sweetie, just throw those wrinkle-prone nighties in here. All's well!"

I had the same HO Slot Car!:banana

You must be my age, I'm 52.

You are psychic! Or 52. I shall turn that magical age in 3 months. Man are YOU old!

Hudson, there are lots of old posts here about packing for trips with women. The trunk does offer space, but it does get HOT, so nothing that can boil or melt. There is surprisingly large amount of space behind the seats. Pack a smaller bag and let it sit between your passenger's feet on the floor. I've done thousands of miles this way; OR pack her up and put her on a plane with all the luggage and have a nice, quiet ride by yourself.

Great suggestions all around. The interior room in the Viper, for instance is ridiculous, and the 'trunk' is over that suspension hump so not accessible. I didn't consider the 'behind the seat' room. Cool thought.

Oh, the 'quiet' ride idea is a gem as well! :) Thanks all.