300 gt's crashed

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Heard today 300 GT's have been heavily crashed and Saleen will be repairing them. Be brave when you open your next insurance bill.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Bony,

Heavily crashed as in wrecked?? Or damaged slightly?? During shipping? Or have 300 gt's crashed since they have been introduced to the public?

Thanks for the info...

tm

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
bony said:
Heard today 300 GT's have been heavily crashed and Saleen will be repairing them. Be brave when you open your next insurance bill.

All at once?? Must have been a hell of a pileup :rofl :rofl

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
tmstunts#1233 said:
Bony,

Heavily crashed as in wrecked?? Or damaged slightly?? During shipping? Or have 300 gt's crashed since they have been introduced to the public?

Thanks for the info...

tm

major damage

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Well, lets do the math, there are 600 unsold GT's. That means 3400 have been sold. That means 17.6% have suffered major damage. The average mileage on the fleet is most likely 1500 miles per car.

If you were an insurance company would your write the GT?

I will plan to move the GT back under my Hagerty policy when my State Farm policy is up for renewal.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We shall see. Unbelievably, my insurance is minimal as is. I'd love to see it stay that way...

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
bony said:

More proof it's too much car for the average driver. Plus there's the law of averages - it's too easy to get a driver's license these days. The driving portion of the test should be much tougher, so they can fail most people and get them clear off the roads and out of our way! Yes that's unrealistic but one can dream anyway.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Not that unrealistic. In Germany it takes several tests/stages to attain a licence. I think one stage requires driving in the rain or an night on the autobahn .Anyone from Germany or Europe care to elaborate? It would be great if after 6months of driving you were asked to take a real drivig course.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
canuck said:
Not that unrealistic. In Germany it takes several tests/stages to attain a licence. I think one stage requires driving in the rain or an night on the autobahn .Anyone from Germany or Europe care to elaborate? It would be great if after 6months of driving you were asked to take a real drivig course.

Now that seems smart, perhaps a workable solution could be derived from this, because unfortunately governments derive too much revenue from autos (e.g. license revenue, tolls, sales tax, smog inspections, gasoline taxes) that they have a HUGE disincentive to reduce the car population. But if all the crappy drivers were restricted to the slow lanes maybe this could work! Anyone up for a revolt? :party

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Interesting. I can see it would not be that hard to crash. Ties in to the "morbid" thread I had started about the crashes (wanted people to be careful).

Anyway, took mine out to a slalom to see what it would do. I was more curious about turning and accelerating - as in maybe being in an intersection and needing to hit the gas to get out of someone's way - then in really going fast. Was curious if it would break loose, bite and go, or whatever. Just wanted a good feel for the car. Not to concerned about straight line - done a lot of that in my life.

Well, the course had about a 20 foot start then took a dog leg to the right. I have it on tape, it took me FOUR SECONDS to spin the car. :willy Yes, I was too heavy on the "go pedal". But I found out what I wanted to know. You have 500+ horsepower and goose it too hard (well, actually pretty much floored it) around a turn, it will bite you. Learned moderation real fast for the next runs (though still lost it once more). The good side is that it is amazing how quick the car will go through a course and how hard you can push it. A set of race tires would definitely make it competitive (it already was with the Goodyears).

Point is, care needs to be taken. The GT has been a pole magnet for some reason - I think I see why. I would recommend everyone go somewhere where there is nothing to run in to and do the same thing - get a feel for the car. It earns a new level of respect once you do that.

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Well, lets do the math, there are 600 unsold GT's. That means 3400 have been sold. That means 17.6% have suffered major damage. The average mileage on the fleet is most likely 1500 miles per car.

This seems like a very high number to me. Of the 3400 sold I would think that several hundred of them are not even driven by the new owners.

Just seems like you would see a new picture of a wrecked GT every 3.04 days (on sale for 2.5 years divided by the 300 wrecks) :biggrin

What was the source of the info?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
canuck said:
That's correct. And they take you to the Autobahn in these conditions aswell, with nice heavy truck traffic, get's em sweating..
It's not just a big ass lane ride around the gasstation there, like in some other countries..
I've seen also that often driverschool cars are cut and overtaken like absolutely instantly avoidable traffic obstacles. Soemtimes, in hairy maneuvers, i guess it's part of training by the peers, like in the marines, I guess.. Harden 'em up, early boys, it can be a blast to 'kick'em around', just to remember to stay way rigghhtt, right (PS: Overtaking in Europe only on the left side of an obstacle, or you be fined points to risk your license temporarily) ! ! :banana

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Red Rocket said:
More proof it's too much car for the average driver.

Definitely correct.... but very easy to handle compared to some other supercars, never the less. Like,... e.g a Porsche GT (that's a hard controllable backswinger, believe me)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It would be worth it to me to be a politician for a few years simply to overhaul our worthless system of handing out drivers licenses. I got all my driver training through the British School of Motoring, so needless to say after my 15 minute jaunt up and down the street and getting my U.S license, I was stunned.

There is absolutely no excuse for how we manage who gets drivers licenses, how long they get to keep them, and how often they have to be retested. 45,000 people die a year because we spend time arguing about which Senator got blown by which intern.

The biggest problem is that there are no appreciable rules of the road. People pass on either side, they make passing a dick swinging contest to say "no I won't let you get in front of me", they don't merge at speed, they cruise in the passing lane, they drink coffee/read the paper/put on makeup while talking on the cell phone watching a DVD. I could go on and on.

There's no way our fatalities per mile should be as high as they are. But nobody is listening, and the people who should be are clueless.

I envy the Germans.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
bony said:
Back in the early 80's Hot Rod magazine published a story on how many Shelby AC Colbras were wrecked before their first payment. It was a stagering amount like 10%. Makes you wonder how other fast cars like the new 500 hp shelby mustang, zo6 Corvette, viper, etc. do for wrecks?

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I am not a math expert but isn't 300 out 3400 more like 8%? not 17.4!

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
jamie said:
Leave Bony alone he only has 10 fingers :lol

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
todd said:
Back in the early 80's Hot Rod magazine published a story on how many Shelby AC Colbras were wrecked before their first payment. It was a stagering amount like 10%. Makes you wonder how other fast cars like the new 500 hp shelby mustang, zo6 Corvette, viper, etc. do for wrecks?
Take over 1,000 lbs of weight off, shrink the wheelbase down to 90 inches and put on tires that have no grip compared to today's rubber. Now that is a car that is hard to drive on the limits. :eek

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
DBK said:
It would be worth it to me to be a politician for a few years simply to overhaul our worthless system of handing out drivers licenses. I got all my driver training through the British School of Motoring, so needless to say after my 15 minute jaunt up and down the street and getting my U.S license, I was stunned.

There is absolutely no excuse for how we manage who gets drivers licenses, how long they get to keep them, and how often they have to be retested. 45,000 people die a year because we spend time arguing about which Senator got blown by which intern.
Dave,

I completely agree. I've driven a lot in both North America and Europe and I think this can be summed-up simply by the attitudes towards getting a license in both places. In North America a license is considered a right, in Europe it's considered a privilage. I prefer, in almost every way, living in the US to any other country in the world but I think the process for allowing drivers on the road is one area where the Europeans have it over we North Americans.

Rob

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
jamie said:

good catch. fuzzy math. 17.4 sounds much more dramatic. :wink