2014 Corvette C7

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Oh, oh...dont want to trade in '12 C6 with 3000 mi.....

But that fast back is hot.....

Attachments

• vette profile.jpg
    vette profile.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,408

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
But that fast back is hot.....

:eek:eek:eek :facepalm: :frown

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is this 2015 emissions ready? I can't see them doing a body change for 2014 just to do it again for 2015.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Is this 2015 emissions ready? I can't see them doing a body change for 2014 just to do it again for 2015.

The motor is all new (as much as a pushrod SBC can be "all new" :lol) and direct injected with variable valve timing.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
With every generation the car is getting better and better but always missing something, I've had 3, with a C6-ZO6 being the last one to date. What hapened to the GM designers of the 60's ?

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I just can't get excited about the push rod SBC anymore. I know that they're still cheaper to build up, but they seem so antiquated, particularly when you see what Ford's done with the Mustang GT and especially the Boss 302. With a minimum amount of work, a lot of guys on the Boss sites are turning 8200 rpms with stock internals and neglible cash outlay.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Looks like the F-12 without that fuggly hole in the fender.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Looks like the F-12 without that fuggly hole in the fender.

+1

Looking forward to seeing it up close next month.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What hapened to the GM designers of the 60's ?
Probably dead or in nursing homes designing colostomy bags.

I hear you though. While the profile of the C7 looks good, the rear is awful. Although I make fun of my brother's '03 Z06 all the time, I really like it. A very clean design.

I just can't get excited about the push rod SBC anymore. I know that they're still cheaper to build up, but they seem so antiquated, particularly when you see what Ford's done with the Mustang GT and especially the Boss 302. With a minimum amount of work, a lot of guys on the Boss sites are turning 8200 rpms with stock internals and neglible cash outlay.

The SBC is to the Corvette what the live axle is to the Mustang. They both work just fine, but they are perceived as archaic. After experiencing the wonder that the DOHC mod motor is, I'm sold on it. You would think GM would want a similar high(er) tech motor in its halo car, even if only for marketing purposes.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You would think GM would want a similar high(er) tech motor in its halo car, even if only for marketing purposes.

Didn't they try that 20+ years ago in the ZR1?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Didn't they try that 20+ years ago in the ZR1?

"Try" being the operative word there. Dispite all the excess 'monkey motion' going on inside 'em, the h.p. was lacking relative to it.

I haven't really cared a whole lot for the looks of the 'Vette since '72. My fave is the '63 split window "Fuelie"...followed by the '67 tri-power BB coupe...followed by the '68-'69 tri-power (or L-88) BB coupes. I wouldn't kick a '70 coupe out of my garage though.

I like the looks of the '57, '58, & '62s a lot, but their ergonomics/ride are just too darned 'uncomfy'. :frown

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
....the rear is awful. Although I make fun of my brother's '03 Z06 all the time, I really like it. A very clean design.

This. The rear as depicted in the renderings is probably the worst production rear end I've ever seen on a sports car. Beyond the fact that it looks like the lovechild of a Camaro and an angry Transformer, it just reminds me of a C4 with a Greenwood body kit. They definitely adhere to the "more holes, scoops, and vents!" design school. A plastics supplier somewhere got super excited when they saw the CAD. A designer buddy of mine from GM says the "groucho marx" eyebrow version in the pics is the Z06 variant.

2014-chevrolet-corvette-c7-photo-484877-s-520x318.jpg

=

Groucho-Marx.jpg

It's going to be extremely hard to beat performance-wise.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What hapened to the GM designers of the 60's ?

Well, Peter Brock went to work for Carroll Shelby and designed the Daytona Coupe, and then went on his own at Brock Racing (www.bre2.net).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The rear looks worse in color. I have only seen black and white renderings (or maybe those were Groucho Marx pictures. Hmmm.) Hopefully the actual rear fascia will look better in person. I like the profile and the front end. It would be a shame if such a good car was saddled with that design defect. Perhaps GM lured away the designer who was responsible for the 2010-2012 Mustang rear end.

Well, Peter Brock went to work for Carroll Shelby and designed the Daytona Coupe, and then went on his own at Brock Racing (www.bre2.net).

I think he left GM in the late '50s. I believe he is credited with the initial conceptual Stingray drawing. A really nice and talented guy. I met him when he was at Sebring promoting the sale of Coupe #CSX2601 (remarkably, my son was allowed to sit in it).
DSC_0060.jpg

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
On page 67 of the Jan 2013 R&T, the show a size comparison of the SBC and BMW's 4.4 liter TT V-8. The article states the SBC (newest LT1) weighs 465lbs, and looks to be about 7/8s the size of the BMW mill. Does anyone know the weight of the 5.0 DOHC Ford, or for that matter the new Boss 302? I wonder what the dimension differences would be as well. I know the pushrods allow for a fairly low deck (and a lot less moving parts), but I wonder where the weight comes in for the Ford.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
444 lbs for the Coyote, without accessories, according to this:
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2012_BOSS_302_5_0L_444HP_CRATE_ENGINE_p/m-6007-m50b.htm
Very good when you consider how much bigger (physically) the 5.0 is. The DOHC motors are quite tall and wide.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
At 440 ish lbs, I'm thinking the new B-2 would be a killer motor in a GT40 replica!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
At 440 ish lbs, I'm thinking the new B-2 would be a killer motor in a GT40 replica!

Performance-wise, absolutely, but the aesthetics are all wrong. With the availablity of really good aftermarket fuel injection, engine management and roller valve train systems for the pushrod 302, you can build a nice motor for about the same price as the crate DOHC Boss and have something equal in horsepower that looks like it belongs in the car. I'm sure it won't last as long though.

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
They butchered the rear end. DBK said it right. Boy I am glad I bout my 2011 ZR1 and didn't wait for the C7.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Not certain the new Viper backside is much better......

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-dodge-viper/#photo-4940621