2013 gt500

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
On a road course, GT500 is definitely faster.

Is the new GT500 faster than the Ford GT if both were on the same tires? Someone mentioned that the 04 and 05 track test times in the GT would be a lot faster today with the new stickier tires that come on high performance vehicles. It made sense to me.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Is the new GT500 faster than the Ford GT if both were on the same tires? Someone mentioned that the 04 and 05 track test times in the GT would be a lot faster today with the new stickier tires that come on high performance vehicles. It made sense to me.

We're gonna let have to let DBK and a 'to be named' FGT designee sort that one out on a track of mutual agreement ..... :lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I'll try.....

We're gonna let have to let DBK and a 'to be named' FGT designee sort that one out on a track of mutual agreement ..... :lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
So, are you saying there is some sort of limiter, or just not tested or certified above that speed?

Uh, many currently produced cars now have "some sort of limiter". This has been around for years.
Take for example the 2005-2006 FGT.
It HAS a speed limiter (in stock, as delivered form) to not allow the driver to exceed 205 mph.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can't say how close they'd be on the same tires. They spend alot of time dialing the car in with the setup it leaves the factory with. If they had the G2s on the GT from the beginning, I'm sure they'd be very close.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I plan to have one in the garage as well. I met a local Ford Dealer who owns a small country dealership in Garrettsville, OH during my Boss 302 test day. He's a real enthusiast who drives a Laguna Seca as his personal car. I plan to order one through him. He's got several 2012 GT500's in stock now, and is pumped-up about the new car. Can't wait to drive one.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If anyone has a dealer that is selling 2013 GT500s with no ADM please let me know and I will post their name to a thread in Team Shelby. One dealer started a thread asking for an ADM and got booed out. Someone else started a topic listing dealers that aren't greedy.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There's actually a speed limiter that will cut you off at 155 mph, like most of the German cars have. I don't know the exact reason, but I'm sure it has either something to do with that top not being able to withstand super high speed or the fact that you'd only be pretty much dead at 155, while you'd be really really dead at 202 in a convertible.

My '08 Shelby GT/SC convertible had a 155MPH "speed limiter". I'm told it could be bypassed or raised with a SCT tuner but never needed to since the hood didn't support going much more than 140.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
If anyone has a dealer that is selling 2013 GT500s with no ADM please let me know and I will post their name to a thread in Team Shelby. One dealer started a thread asking for an ADM and got booed out. Someone else started a topic listing dealers that aren't greedy.

My sister has one on order at list. No ADM. A So-Cal dealer. Sorry I don't remember the name.

Took 7 calls . ADM ranged from 5k to 30k!

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City

Was in a dealership Saturday checking out the new colors in person. Seems all the KC dealers agreed on 10K over MSRP.

I do know of one about 2 1/2 hours out of the metro that is selling at MSRP, but they were only alotted one, and it's already been sold and ordered. :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Not that we really need to beat this into the ground anymore than we already have, but I don't think dealers are being greedy getting all the available dollars they can for a car. Every seems on board with the whole "manufacturer's suggested retail price" thing until those rare occasions when the price goes north rather than south. Everybody knows that these cars will be available at sticker sooner rather than later. There are no constraints (at this time, barring any other German plant explosions) on production of the vehicle, so they'll fulfill as many orders as they get. For the guys that are willing to pay more now, that's up to them, and I'm not gonna begrudge a dealer that gets it. If they want to risk the potential ill-will from doing it, that's up to them, but if they can get them money, more power to them.

My '08 Shelby GT/SC convertible had a 155MPH "speed limiter". I'm told it could be bypassed or raised with a SCT tuner but never needed to since the hood didn't support going much more than 140.

I'm definitely sure it can be removed via calibration. Personally, I just wouldn't be that enthused to go any faster than 155 in a convertible Mustang anyways.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City

I figured it could possibly be bypassed, but as discussed, not sure how much the top could handle anyway and I wouldn't want to be the one to find out.

Sometimes the thrill of the acceleration can be enough, but I always have the GT if I feel a greater need for speed.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...not sure how much the top could handle anyway and I wouldn't want to be the one to find out.

That would be my biggest concern as well.

One could always 'pin' the hood.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
All of the aftermarket tuners I am aware of have the capability to disable the limiter. The limiter on my GT500 was removed via an SCT tuner. I'm with Dave though, I would not be keen on driving a convertible over 155. My coupe gets scary even approaching that speed.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Was told today the car exists and is in the stamping department, and it should be alive in two days.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Was told today the car exists and is in the stamping department, and it should be alive in two days.

Dave, try not to get too excited, too soon. Spend a minute with Scode and have him walk you through the sequence of events/time before the car actually gets to you. I'm not new to this, but the process still holds some surprises, e.g. beware Area (Ramp) 51 (storage lot), the black hole of black holes - kind of like a false summit in mtn climbing.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Oh believe me, I know the pain of the car that gets built down the road that takes months to show up. :lol

As long as I know it's kickin, good enough for me!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
As long as I know it's kickin, good enough for me!

I know you well enough to call you out on that one. First nice day when its 80 and sunny again... :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Made it to paint last night. Gonna have to ninja myself down to Flat Rock tomorrow.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
So the line is officially rolling on these? Hmmmmmmmm.................