2013 gt500

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
F-ing amazing what performance comes stock from the showroom floor.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don't care what anyone says, the glory years for muscle cars is right now. :rolleyes

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
DBK, I am leaning the same way for a new 2013 GT500. My 2010 is perfect, 5000 miles on it, but more interested in the ceramic coated cylinders, aluminum engine, weight reduction adn overall refinement of teh 2013 GT500. The hesitancy is that 2014 will be the 50th anniversary Mustang. Not the 50th GT Shelby version, which won't be until probably 2017 or 2018? And also the new 2013 GTS SRT viper will be out this fall. Choices, Choices, Choices?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Great article. Buy one while you can still get this level of performance ~ 'your kids won't have that opportunity'.....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great article. Buy one while you can still get this level of performance ~ 'your kids won't have that opportunity'.....

+1, on both comments

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I definitely don't think that's the case. Or at least not until I see concrete evidence otherwise. I have a Flex that runs the same 1/4 mile my first V8 Mustang did while getting 23 mpg. Ferrari is coming out with a 740 hp GT car, and an Enzo successor that by all accounts may be 900 hp. Viper is 640 hp and under 3300 lbs. Lamborghini sells a 700 hp car that will run 10.5@136 mph. A 100% stock 2013 Nissan GT-R just went 10.87@125 with a 2.7 0-60 time. All these cars do this stuff while being safer and more fuel efficient than ever before. Sophisticated AWD systems, direct injection, turbochargers and a host of other technological advancements like incredibly sticky tires that actually last under regular road use are making cars faster and safer at an astounding rate.

People were sounding the death knell when the 03 Cobra came out. It was too fast and too much hp for too cheap. 10 years later, a stock Mustang makes more torque at 1000 rpm than the 03 Cobra did anywhere, and it gets better fuel economy. Who knows where performance is headed? I'll tell you this: SVT isn't going backwards. And that I know of, nobody else is either. Next Corvette is going to be another major leap in performance.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Yes, early for an obit and of course and time will tell.

52 mpg fleet avg for a full line mfgr along with more stringent emissions will surely play into future product plans. Technology is out there for sure but boutique mfgrs are better situated to play in that space.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
DBK, Was thinking "Got to Have It Green" was your color! I have a black car. It is a great car, I wash it and about 30 minutes later it is dirty, but I love it, looks awesome when buffed!

Where is MiD Nite Blu on this one. Guess he is driving a Merc now, probably to lazy to use a clutch!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I definitely don't think that's the case. Or at least not until I see concrete evidence otherwise. I have a Flex that runs the same 1/4 mile my first V8 Mustang did while getting 23 mpg. Ferrari is coming out with a 740 hp GT car, and an Enzo successor that by all accounts may be 900 hp. Viper is 640 hp and under 3300 lbs. Lamborghini sells a 700 hp car that will run 10.5@136 mph. A 100% stock 2013 Nissan GT-R just went 10.87@125 with a 2.7 0-60 time. All these cars do this stuff while being safer and more fuel efficient than ever before. Sophisticated AWD systems, direct injection, turbochargers and a host of other technological advancements like incredibly sticky tires that actually last under regular road use are making cars faster and safer at an astounding rate.

People were sounding the death knell when the 03 Cobra came out. It was too fast and too much hp for too cheap. 10 years later, a stock Mustang makes more torque at 1000 rpm than the 03 Cobra did anywhere, and it gets better fuel economy. Who knows where performance is headed? I'll tell you this: SVT isn't going backwards. And that I know of, nobody else is either. Next Corvette is going to be another major leap in performance.

All true, but evil forces have united before and killed the performance sector in the early 70's. Depending on your opinion, it took approximately 15 years (or more) to recover.

I am getting to the point in my life where 15 years means something substantial. :rolleyes

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
You bought a nice car, Dude!!

PERFECT choice on color/deleted stripes!

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
So, I was just wondering............

Has the convertible top been tested to 200 mph?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, that's great!!!

How do you think it will stack up to the GT? The Mustang has more horsepower but the GT has aerodynamics. The 'Stang is still kind of a brick into the wind. The hood on my '08 Shelby GT/SC started to flutter at about 145.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thought I read, vert is limited to 160....

So, I was just wondering............

Has the convertible top been tested to 200 mph?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Wow, that's great!!!

How do you think it will stack up to the GT? The Mustang has more horsepower but the GT has aerodynamics. The 'Stang is still kind of a brick into the wind. The hood on my '08 Shelby GT/SC started to flutter at about 145.

I believe it is as fast up to 125ish. The hood on my '08 GT500 wants to fly like a bird at anything over 100. The edges dance around pretty good at 80. The front ends were redesigned to eliminate the hood overhang which caused this. The hood overhang on the earlier GT500s looks really cool but is functionally deficient. I can't think of another modern car with a hood design like it (there is obviously a reason for this). I love it though. The earlier GT500s may be responsible for saving the hood pin industry.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Vert is limited to 155.

In my opinion, the GT500 will be quicker than the GT in the hands of most people at a drag strip. Launching a GT is a crap shoot, few people do it, and the clutch doesn't like it. GT500 should be alot easier as long as the tires are warmed up. In good weather being powershifted, GT500 also turns out hellacious MPH. Ford GT will still be faster at high speeds. On a road course, GT500 is definitely faster.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
On a road course, GT500 is definitely faster.

Queue sound of gauntlet dropping.... :biggrin

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Thought I read, vert is limited to 160....

Vert is limited to 155.

So, are you saying there is some sort of limiter, or just not tested or certified above that speed?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There's actually a speed limiter that will cut you off at 155 mph, like most of the German cars have. I don't know the exact reason, but I'm sure it has either something to do with that top not being able to withstand super high speed or the fact that you'd only be pretty much dead at 155, while you'd be really really dead at 202 in a convertible.