2 GT500 KRs at Covert Ford Austin

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I was picking up some transaxle fluid at a local dealer. A saleman took me back to make ready. They have 2 on the ground and another on the way. They said make and offer they currently have no buyers. One is knightrider black w/black stripes, silver/blue, and a red one is coming.

It is Covert Ford in Austin on hwy 183. I have no interest in this dealer and I don't even get my car serviced there. It just happens to be the closest dealer to my house.

Last edited:

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Did you ask how much they want for them ?

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I was picking up some transaxle fluid at a local dealer. A saleman took me back to make ready. They have 2 on the ground and another on the way. They said make and offer they currently have no buyers. One is knightrider black w/black stripes, silver/blue, and a red one is coming.

It is Covert Ford in Austin on hwy 183. I have no interest in this dealer and I don't even get my car serviced there. It just happens to be the closest dealer to my house.

Chris.....I just gotta know. Is "knightrider black" different than regular black? I was curious how black stripes would be on a black car.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Here in Vegas at Barrett Jackson the local Ford dealers are selling at MSRP all the units which they previously go a premium for. Would expect the same, or perhaps a discount.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
On the subject of B-J walked the floor yesterday, enjoyed the company of DONNYMAC and GORDY WOLF. Typical B-J lifestyle show, not an exciting round up of cars... now have added Clyne-Williams Blackhawk Collection expo. This is the first time I am not a registered bidder, nor will I be going back today. I am not in a buying mood either. I bet there will be some good buys this weekend.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Just saw a black/black GT500 KR at local Ford dealer. Dealer had buyer backout on this one too. I suspect a lot of this is happening.
Car looks awesome, but at nearly $40G premium to GT500 (which dealer's were already gouging buyers on), and with '09 GT500 still available, I have to believe these cars are going to be below MSRP shortly.

Killer looks though.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Chris.....I just gotta know. Is "knightrider black" different than regular black? I was curious how black stripes would be on a black car.

Knightrider black is gloss black with close to flat black stripes. It looks even better in person. They said make offer, I told my wife 105-110 in front of the salesman. He agreed. If you want one wait. This dealer will have three stacked there soon. A supersnake is faster and a better deal anyway.

We could play with their emotions and meet there for the fall cruise. It is a couple of miles up 183 from the Arboretum.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I question the value of the KR even at MSRP. My local dealer has one with a large ADM although my saleman admitted they would let the car go for MSRP.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I question the value of the KR even at MSRP. My local dealer has one with a large ADM although my saleman admitted they would let the car go for MSRP.

+1. It definitely has presence and looks simply amazing in person.

But, IMHO, I think they priced it about $7K - $8K too high...

Of course, the economy is playing a large role too. Maybe ADR will soon be a new dealer term in the short term. Additional Dealer Reduction.

Too early to tell what will happen.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
ADM = Additional Dealer MarkDOWN in todays economy.

KRs are currently getting no action on e-bay even at MSRP. The guys who paid $30,000 over list a couple months ago have to feel a little put out. Several dealers would be happy to move their KRs at MSRP today.

Chip

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston

I bought my GT from Covert in Hutto, Texas. The salesman was a retired Captain from the US Army. Really nice guy. The salesmanager was the biggest@#&*$ I have seen in a while. After we did the paperwork, Captain started to drive my car off the showroom floor and the sales manager came running across the showroom in front of a pretty big crowd and told him " to get his fat ass out of the car" . I called one of the Coverts at their Chevy store next door the next day and and told them about my experience. They never called me back and I heard from Captain a few weeks later and said they renegged on the bonus they offered to whichever salesman sold the car.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I bought my GT from Covert in Hutto, Texas. The salesman was a retired Captain from the US Army. Really nice guy. The salesmanager was the biggest@#&*$ I have seen in a while. After we did the paperwork, Captain started to drive my car off the showroom floor and the sales manager came running across the showroom in front of a pretty big crowd and told him " to get his fat ass out of the car" . I called one of the Coverts at their Chevy store next door the next day and and told them about my experience. They never called me back and I heard from Captain a few weeks later and said they renegged on the bonus they offered to whichever salesman sold the car.

I also have a wonderful story about this dealer. I was #1 on the waiting list to buy a GT500 for 3k over sticker. The waiting list somehow disappeared and they auctioned the first cars. I have not bought a car there since.

I have an 06 pony pkg convertible mustang. their service dept had the car a day and could not reproduce a window rollup problem that I can reliably reproduce at will. No more service there either. I drive past that dealer to Lief Johnson in the middle of Austin to insure the repairs are handled with care.

The only reason I posted this is because I saw two or three KRs ready to go. With the low production numbers there are way fewer KRs than there are dealers.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
FWIW, there are 5 Gurney Saleens on EBAY today, MSRP $58,000+, all 5 at discounts, 3 @ BIN of $45,000. Seems like a lot of car for less than the price of a GT500 (without the premium most dealers were charging in GT500s).

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
FWIW, there are 5 Gurney Saleens on EBAY today, MSRP $58,000+, all 5 at discounts, 3 @ BIN of $45,000. Seems like a lot of car for less than the price of a GT500 (without the premium most dealers were charging in GT500s).

Anyone pick one of these up? I saw a blue Gurney at the OC Auto Show and it looked very nice.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm waiting for the "share the wealth" policy to take effect like TPRaceman. I hoping for Cantwell's heritage Saleen.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"I'm waiting for the "share the wealth" policy to take effect like TPRaceman. I hoping for Cantwell's heritage Saleen. "

How about it, fjpikul. My older son was going nuts looking at that one next to the Heritage GT as well.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
IMG_9969copy.jpg

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I went to the Shelby plant while at SEMA. There a lot of KRs still being made as well SSs. One thing I noticed right away, the KRs only have 18" wheels while the SSs have 20" wheels. Without a doubt the 18" wheels got TO GO. They absolutely do not work on the KR. They should have been 20s from the start.
Cars were parked all over the place at different lots and at different stages of completion.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Have to agree with you...
Nice meeting you at SEMA!! :)

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006