'08 Scottsdale Rally to the Rally

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Atomic,

Winslow, Arizona is in the northeast corner of the state. During World War II a major Air Force Base was constructed there. It's a sleepy little town today and that former Air Force Base is a pretty nice airport today that I land at frequently when I'm returning from Colorado or other points northeast. There are girls there in flatbed Fords but I've never had one slow down for me. :bored

Chip

Whew, You have strengthened my faith in the Eagles Band. I thought it was just a lyric in a great song from the 70s.

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Chipmeister

Was thinking of the below possibility.

We've got a smaller crew of about 10-12 FGTs coming out of So Cal, lunching in Baker at Noon and then probably into Vegas at about 3 PM........? Was thinking I-15 > Hwy 164 > Searchlight, Nevada > Hwy 95 > Boulder City Hwy 93 and possible hook up with the Arizona Boys? That may put too many FGTs at once checking into TheHotel. Would all depend on some excellent time corrdination with Chip Beck, but I suspect that the Road to Searchlight and Hwy 95 would be entirely open?

Also, an alternative route for you after Kingman would be Hwy 93 > Hwy 68 > Laughlin > Hwy 163 > Hwy 95 and meet us in Searchlight? Then Hwy 95 into Vegas. We could drop by Harry Reid's house in Searchlight and make a contribution to his re-election campaign ?????????

Last edited:

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Stacker trailers and Hoover Dam

Chip,

Is anyone taking a stacker trailer from Scottsdale to LV? If so, the Hoover Dam security folks won't let you cross the dam with cars on the top level of the trailer - they have to be on the lower level only. I know it sounds silly but that's the way it is, as Team Jeff found out a couple of months ago. They want to be able to inspect the cars without climbing up. Ultimately Jeff unloaded one of the three cars he was hauling and had his buddy drive it across. They loaded back up on the other side. As you know (but others might not), we need to be prepared for a slight delay at the security checkpoint, particularly the larger support vehicles. It's their job to make sure that no one is concealing explosives, thus the emphasis on trucks. We just need to be patient and courteous when we encounter the checkpoint, and everything should go smoothly! :thumbsup

Dick

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Highway 95 not advised.

Chipmeister

Was thinking of the below possibility.

We've got a smaller crew of about 10-12 FGTs coming out of So Cal, lunching in Baker at Noon and then probably into Vegas at about 3 PM........? Was thinking I-15 > Hwy 164 > Searchlight, Nevada > Hwy 95 > Boulder City Hwy 93 and possible hook up with the Arizona Boys? That may put too many FGTs at once checking into TheHotel. Would all depend on some excellent time corrdination with Chip Beck, but I suspect that the Road to Searchlight and Hwy 95 would be entirely open?

Also, an alternative route for you after Kingman would be Hwy 93 > Hwy 68 > Laughlin > Hwy 163 > Hwy 95 and meet us in Searchlight? Then Hwy 95 into Vegas. We could drop by Harry Reid's house in Searchlight and make a contribution to his re-election campaign ?????????

Atomic,

Highway 95 north of Laughlin is the trucking route into Las Vegas from Arizona. Because no heavy trucks can go across the Hoover dam they are all forced to cross at Laughlin and traveled north on 95. I was advised to avoid that section of road as it is choked with 18 wheelers and passing is difficult. For that reason we are going to cross at the Hoover Dam on which will hopefully be flowing nicely when we get there.

Chip

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Chip,

Is anyone taking a stacker trailer from Scottsdale to LV? If so, the Hoover Dam security folks won't let you cross the dam with cars on the top level of the trailer - they have to be on the lower level only. I know it sounds silly but that's the way it is, as Team Jeff found out a couple of months ago. They want to be able to inspect the cars without climbing up. Ultimately Jeff unloaded one of the three cars he was hauling and had his buddy drive it across. They loaded back up on the other side. As you know (but others might not), we need to be prepared for a slight delay at the security checkpoint, particularly the larger support vehicles. It's their job to make sure that no one is concealing explosives, thus the emphasis on trucks. We just need to be patient and courteous when we encounter the checkpoint, and everything should go smoothly! :thumbsup

Dick

Chip, Maybe 40 > 93 > 68> 163> 95 isn't such a bad alternative for ones with trailers trying to enter Nevada at the Hoover Dam???

understood, we will avoid this route also. Good and safe driving!

Last edited:

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Great route Chip. :thumbsup You will pass my sub at mile post 71 on rte. 66. Valle Vista golf club.

I'll ether be at the entrance waiting for the convoy to pass and jump in on the end, or maybe in Kingman with AJB and hook up there.

Someone give me a call at 586-292-2788 when you get close to mile post 71.

Careful going through the Indian reservation. They have their own traffic laws, and most anything could happen. (Tonto might like an impounded GT in his TeePee)

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Hey you guys need to post some pictures over the next two days of the Scottsdale event.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
At first I was bummed about this route, as I have a home in Sedona and have done it many times.

But then I spoke to Rich last night and he said the Rt 66 drive is awesome and we may be able to pick up some nice high-speed driving, along with some vintage views/photo opp's. Can't wait now!

Just need to decide where the N/NW Phx GT guys will catch up with you all? We'll be ready to "prance" somewhere on i17 I'm sure?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Jason... any chance you are stopping by California after the Vegas trip?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It was great, I have removed the sticky...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The UPS driver.

Gentlemen,

I was walking out to my mailbox yesterday morning as a big brown UPS delivery truck was driving up the street. The driver stopped his van and got out. Though I had never met him he addressed me by name. I, of course, just assumed I was having a senior moment and couldn't remember him. "I know who you are because I've dropped off a lot of packages at your home", he told me. He then continued, "When I came up the street a couple weeks ago and saw Ford GTs everywhere, I couldn't believe it!!" "I've never seen anything like that in my entire life.", "You must have a pretty interesting group of friends". After exchanging some pleasant car talk, he went on his way.

Walking back into my house, mail in hand, my mind traveled back to that Tuesday. A spectacular collection of automobiles and an even more impressive collection of individuals. It was a lot of fun. And the UPS driver was right, I do have a pretty interesting group of friends. All the best. :cheers

Chip

Last edited:

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Here's to you, Chip! :cheers

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
WORD!! or is it WURD?!!