Ford Racing Exhaust

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Do any of you have it on your cars? If so, what do you think about it? Does it noticeably improve the sound?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If by, "improve the sound", you mean ,"is it r-e-a-l-l-y loud"?

YES.

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Is it loud all the time or just when you get on it?

H

HHGT

Is it loud all the time or just when you get on it?

If you farted into a microphone and listened to it on a loud speaker, no matter the intensity of the fart it will be loud. Don't laugh someone I knew in high school did this and then tried to explain he did not push that hard....

Sorry, not trying to be crass, but I wanted to get your attention. It is loud - all the time..:eek:eek:eek:eek

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Check out Stainless works They have really nice stuff for the gt too. Headers and exhaust i believe. Google there name and u'll find there web site.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have the ford racing exhaust on my car. There are several configuartions for this exhaust and each has a different sound. There is the racing exhaust with an x pipe, The racing exhaust with the borla type mufflers, there is the racing exhaust with the smaller ford racing box type muffler. I have the racing headers that feed into the ford racing box type muffler with no cats. At idle it has a slightly more aggressive rumblebox. Once you get on it you will scare every littlel old lady and child within a three block radius. I have a friend that had the racing exhaust w/no cats and an x pipe. It was simply too loud and he added cats back in to quiet it a bit because it was just too dam loud. Serious ear damage loud. The cats quiet it down a bit but it is still louder than mine. Hope this helps objectively.

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Thanks man...I just want a more aggressive sound without blowing out anybody's hearing lol.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Suggest you just go with one of the "cat backs" ("X" pipes)?

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
How about if I simply swapped out the stock muffler for the Ford GT Performance Muffler? Does that make a noticeable difference? Sorry I should have clarified that this is what I am actually considering...

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Check out Stainless works They have really nice stuff for the gt too. Headers and exhaust i believe. Google there name and u'll find there web site.

Call on Shadowman for his opinion on StainlessWorks. Both he and Bony have them on their rides.

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Thanks Kingman will do.

Aug 25, 2006
Call on Shadowman for his opinion on StainlessWorks. Both he and Bony have them on their rides.

Thank you for pointing him my direction

I will gladly answer all questio s as I have assited many folks with the integration of the Stainless Works system; in fact I have 2 systems being installed at this time

Takes care

Shadowman

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Cool Runnin loudness is what you expect to hear. From my experince hearing a stock car with the FFRP muffler was NOT much louder than stock. It was not for me as it was too quiet. At WOT it is louder by some but during general driving very little difference IMHO.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Cool Runnin loudness is what you expect to hear. From my experince hearing a stock car with the FFRP muffler was NOT much louder than stock. It was not for me as it was too quiet. At WOT it is louder by some but during general driving very little difference IMHO.

Ditto. I purchased the Borla then later sold it and installed a MMP X pipe. Light weight and a great sound.
For me headers are just too loud for everyday street use.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
There are a lot of owners here who are very happy with their Borla but I felt it was a waste of money. Almost no difference in sound. I sold it and installed an Accufab X-Pipe. I'm satisfied now but I may still remove my cats just to see how it sounds.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
There are a lot of owners here who are very happy with their Borla but I felt it was a waste of money. Almost no difference in sound. I sold it and installed an Accufab X-Pipe. I'm satisfied now but I may still remove my cats just to see how it sounds.

Not only do the cats kill a ton of noise but they also do a good job on cutting down flames exiting the tips. A friend runs a Accufab and removed his cats.... holy crap, what a Flamethrower!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Not only do the cats kill a ton of noise but they also do a good job on cutting down flames exiting the tips. A friend runs a Accufab and removed his cats.... holy crap, what a Flamethrower!

The cats also keep the air clean for the CARB smog Nazis. However I know of more than one owner that had some cat damage from driving aggressively. More likely to happen if you turns off COT (Cat over temp) protection. The tune has 3 switches that try to estimate the temperature of the exhaust manifold flange, O2 sensors and Cats. If any are believed to be to hot, the ECU overrides the A/F commanded and makes it very rich about 10:1 in an attemp to cool the compontents. Most aftermarket tunes have this feature turned off for more power. If you have your exhaust noise is getting louder, or you hear a rattling noise in your muffers, you may have some cat damage.

ECO is to protect the O2 sensors.
Flange is for the exhaust valves.
Cat is for the cats.

Attachments

• COTS.jpg
    COTS.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 456

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Runnin, there is a sticky here on the sounds of the various exhausts taken at Rally I in Detroit. Something for comparison. I think it depends very much on how you're driving. Most of mine is highway, and the Borla has no drone at 2K rpm. Some of the other systems do have drone. You mihgt really like the Heffner pipe, especially since you're in FL. Borla also has nice chrome tips, as do the Heffneer. If you want louder, the Borla with the long tube headers may be the way to go. Law enforcement may also be a problem in your area. There's enough GT owners in South Florida you can meet and see some of the differences. Probably the best thing would be to wait and come to Rally III in Vegas and see them all in real life.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Exhaust Sounds

Do any of you have it on your cars? If so, what do you think about it? Does it noticeably improve the sound?

I run the Ford long tube headers Jet Hot coated through the stock muffler. Louder, mellower... but no drone or obnoxiously loud sound. In my opinion, the best combination for the street. Am cutting apart a stock muffler to see if I can reduce the size without generating the excessive noise and drone. Under bonnet temps are significantly reduced with the Jet Hot coating (inside and out).

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
I really like Bob Ida,s exhaust.

Ive had them on two GTs.Now sound better with both gts whippled.
Hey,Shadowman, Been trying to email you.