New oil leak

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I had lifted the rear of my car last week to check the torque values of the rear suspension. After that operation was completed, I noticed oil leaks in my driveway. This oil was too thick to be engine oil, so I knew it was transaxle oil:
Oil%20leak%20in%20driveway.jpg

This was a very difficult image to capture due to limited visibility. It appears to be originating from a crankcase vent with the metal washer saturated with oil.
Transaxle%20vent%20leak.jpg

Removing this part was more startling, as this washer doesn't even appear to look like an automotive part. It looks like someone added it after the fact. It doen't even fit properly as noted by the impression left on the washer. The rubber seal on the vent was damaged by this mis-sized metal washer.
Transaxle%20vent.jpg

Here is a closeup view and as you can see this is some sort of a joke! This "added" washer is the wrong size and shouldn't have been there to begin with. The Workshop manual has no mention of this part (the crankcase vent), although you can see it in a few drawings.
Transaxle%20vent%20bottom%20view.jpg

I solved this by adding a small O-ring and removing the metal washer. Now the transaxle vent looks and works properly.

The tray below the engine-transaxle had been slowly collecting transaxle oil and when I finally went to lift the rear of the car, it gave it time to slowly run out of the front of the pan onto the driveway!

I power-washed everything and it has been nice, clean and dry ever since.

HOW STRANGE!

It's best to view for this defect when dark, using a flashlight, since any oil on the outside of the case lights up for easy observation. You could also see the oil in the lower belly pan. Probably about 20-30 drops.

Jay

UPDATE: 4-2-06 Just as I had thought that I had solved my leak problem, it's back again. It was just a matter of driving for a few hours for the oil to reappear. I am working on a design fix and will report to you when I have something that really works! Jay

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
First question - Did you recently do or have the oil changed?

Dave

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
No, never touched anything. Car was purchased new, with just a few miles on it. Jay

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
analogdesigner said:
No, never touched anything. Car was purchased new, with just a few miles on it. Jay

More great news!

Pipelion

Jay,

Sorry you had a leak.

You're a pretty good shooter, well done on all your photos. Thanks.

Allan

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I guess as the engine is signed you can contact 'Ken' or 'Ron' and ask what they were doing using this washer?

Are you saying (just for clarity) that there should be no washer on this bolt?

Thanks

N

PS When you have your 'pucks' done, I'll probably buy a handful from you so that I've always got spares. I can't actually see the lift point under the GT at all, I know it's there somewhere!

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Jay,

Thanks for the diagnostics and photos. With your step by step illustrated tips, even I might be able to fix some of this stuff! Please keep us posted on the pucks and engine bay light.

Kirk

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Engine bay light, I must have missed that thread? I want one of those for sure. I've got a camping flashlight the hooks over the engine compartment latches. Works well but not real pretty at car shows.

Last edited:

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
And yet we see more little quirks with the still great cars. Nothing in the comp bout that over here either.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Engine bay light

SuperB said:
Engine bay light, I must have missed that thread? I want one of those for sure. I've got a camping flashlight the hooks over the engine compartment latches. Works well but not real pretty at car shows.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5439&postcount=1

Ford%20GT%20engine%20view.jpg

Here's another view of the engine bay light. I'm still working out some pre-production technical issues. The glow reminds me of a real nuclear reactor core (hopefully a stable one!). Hope this helps, Jay

Last edited:

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I have the same issue and I posted about it under "interesting observation" last week. In short, I have a leak from this vent too. I took everything apart and traced the leak to the breather. I did not have an extra washer. I plan to will add a half inch extension to correct this problem. I also powerwashed the oily coating out of the belly pan which I think my have been getting on the rear tires.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
More leaks...

saber said:
I have the same issue and I posted about it under "interesting observation" last week. In short, I have a leak from this vent too. I took everything apart and traced the leak to the breather. I did not have an extra washer. I plan to will add a half inch extension to correct this problem. I also powerwashed the oily coating out of the belly pan which I think my have been getting on the rear tires.

Saber,

Can you tell if the oil is coming from the slot that's cut into the round head, or is it coming out from the contact region between the breather and the transaxle case? On mine, there was no evidence of it coming from the slotted vent. I will check again today. Yes, I power-washed the belly pan also, since it was full of gunk.

Make sure that you transaxle is NOT overfilled, as that could be a source of your problem!

Jay

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Jay,
It looked like the leak was from the slot and not the treads. I could be wrong but I will monitor it closely next time I drive. I have not had it out since. I thought someone had posted about the same problem earlier

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Overfilled?

saber said:
Jay,
It look like the leak is at slot and not the treads. I could be wrong but I will monitor it closely next time I drive it. I have not had it out since I clean up the oil. I thought someone posted the same problem earlier

saber,

Could your trans be overfilled?

I remember about a decade ago, I just had an oil change done to my DeLorean (this was at a "DeLorean service center," usually I NEVER let any mechanic touch my cars) and I was cruising though the hot desert (Death Valley). My engine was running hotter than normal. Usually the coolant runs about 100 degrees hotter than the outside air, however this was not the case (it was more like 115-120 hotter!). I pulled over to side of the road, let things cool down a bit. I checked the oil level and it was about 2 quarts overfilled! I had get under the car and drain some out, until it approached the FULL mark on the dipstick. After that, the engine was fine!

Moral of this story: I never trust anyone's work...

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
yeah,
too many underqualified idiots around... Too much focus on marketing, too low skilllevels to even talk...

seen it, been there, had that....

what can we say ?

slf360-

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Actually, it's post-processing that helps me!

Pipelion said:
Jay,

Sorry you had a leak.

You're a pretty good shooter, well done on all your photos. Thanks.

Allan

Allan,

Thanks for the nice comments. I use a Sony DSC-F717 with Neat Image, PTLens, FM Intellisharpen and Hypersnap. Also, I am badly color-blind, just in case you see some wild colors come from one of my images some day! Jay

Last edited:

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
analogdesigner said:
Allan,

Thanks for the nice comments. I use a Sony DSC-F717 with Neat Image, PTLens, FM Intellisharpen and Hypersnap. Also, I am badly color-blind, just in case you see some wild colors come from one of my images some day! Jay

Jay,

Are you then using photoshop to administer the image corrections?

Thanks,

Carl.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The tech manual doesn't have anything on the transaxel cooler, but in looking at Analogdesigner's photos of his leak, I would think the the cooler connects between the two plugs that are connected by a hose. Now just which one is oil IN and which in OUT? Also does anyone know if the trans cooler has any thermostatic control, or is it always cooling? Where does the hear exchanger mount too? The front or back of the car?

BlackICE

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Image processing

biffom said:
Jay,

Are you then using photoshop to administer the image corrections?

Thanks,

Carl.

Hi Carl,

Actually, I use Photoshop more as a "shell" program to operate PTLens and Neat Image. Once you install these plug-in programs, it's then easier to use since you can run them all from Photoshop. Actually, I really don't know how to use Photoshop.

PTLens is awesome, I will send you some before and after images to appreciate it's power.

Jay

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
still leaks a little bit...

VPC said:
Jay,

Is the leak fixed ?

Thanks,