New Bumper Delete Option

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Well Here They are !! Here are some photos of the Bumper Delete Kit soon to be released. We've got a few minor things to work out i.e. coating & finishes than they will available through Project 321.

These are one piece Billet Aluminum. The base unit will be powder coated or painted a satin black color. This kit would retain the stock bumper Frame extensions. It is a simple and quick project. It can be a DIY project. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the stock bumper via the 8 small bolts. These covers will mount quickly. It will save an approximately 13 Lbs of extended polar weight.

As stated before I really like the looks of the bumper delete kits that are out there but they are expensive and there is a lot of work associated with those kits due to the removal of the bumper posts. There are many attachment points to the OEM posts This style would eliminate that requirement and would be easily reversed.

The covers over the posts create a stand off zone between the posts and the exhaust tips. A local GT owner who saw the basic concept commented that the stock exhaust tips looked very cool sticking out without being cut back. Reminiscent of the old race cars!!

I have been asked a few times about air flow and the back of the GT. I'm talking about the evacuation of hot air from the engine bay. As most of us know replacing the big box Stock muffler with one of the cat back systems or the Borla allows a less obstructive path for air to move to the rear exit screens.

It has also been proven that using the opening behind the license plate can very beneficial to helping the hot air escape. Ford recommends removing the license plate to allow full use of the free square area when running on the track. Many GT owners are using License plate stand offs to utilize this free area. The license plate in the way of the hole does slightly impede the air flow so the larger the gap the less restriction.

That being said think removing the bumper will help the air flow somewhat by allowing the air to flow through the vents with no restriction directly behind it. I recently ran my bumper less car pretty hard at the PBIR. We were running 30 min sessions .. it was mid 70's and the car stayed in a nice and safe temp, range. I keep waiting for the temps to creep up and it never did..it got a little above 200* at it's peak.

So in the efforts to reduce weight and increase air flow going bumper less has some advantages. As I stated earlier I do like the looks of the other kits. The only problem I have with one of the kits is that it has a solid panel in lieu of vents. The solid panel is probably the nicest looking kit in my opinion but I would not want to give up the valuable venting area. I'm trying to achieve maximum cooling with what we have to work with.

Here are some of the advantages of this Style of Bumper Delete .
- Lower cost
- Easy DIY project. ( 30 minutes estimated total time including beer break )
- Because of the Stand Off Zone the Exhaust does not need to be trimmed ( stock or after market)
- Reduction of Approximately 13 Lbs.
- Increased air flow
- Easily reversible
- Custom logos or engraving is possible.
- Makes cleaning the back of the car easier.
- There is still some solid frame structure of protruding from the rear.
- The exhaust pipes extending further from the body can reduce the chances of a fire. Don't laugh,, more than one GT has self ignited the stock rear bumper ..:biggrin

I want to personally thank Jake from Project 321 for taking on this latest project .. I spent alot of time making the drawings and getting the contours right . Jake has proven to be a real metal artist so the machining is first rate !! Jake thanks for making my vision come to life.. :thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Excellent alternative, looks very good. Congrats.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
More photos

Here's some photos of the covers on the red car. Note the frame extensions were painted Black this gives the appearance of almost being one piece. I'll be using black hardware to further conceal the bolts and washers.

Sorry the diffuser is off the Red car. It's amazing how naked the car looks without it...

I think I am going to paint a set Red to match the car just to see what it looks like..

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Excellent alternative, looks very good. Congrats.

Thanks Daniel... It's not as nice as your Rear End but it will do ....:biggrin

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
$$ ?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"The exhaust pipes extending further from the body can reduce the chances of a fire. Don't laugh,, more than one GT has self ignited the stock rear bumper" -S.

I don't think anybody was laughing. We've all seen the pics.:ack

THAT turned out GREAT!!! 'Paint the puppies body color and they'd practically disappear when viewed from directly behind the car.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hot off the press,,,

Or Mill that is... :biggrin Here are some photos or the First pieces off the Mill. One is an raw unfinished piece. As stated these are a one piece billet unit. there is a fully recessed pocket to conceal the large Flange. The two lower notches are there to accommodate the lower section of the Frame rail. No GT's were harmed in the making of these Products ..:biggrin

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 802

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Jake will have the final pricing soon. They just need to finalize the costs of the coating and a few other things. I was just real excited to see them on the car so I had to post some photos!! I think I can say without Jake getting upset ,,, and I'm happy to report the should be around $ 500 or less. That's finished, with hardware.... This is a real bargain ..:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Brian we would appreciate if you could post pictures of them on the car.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Agree with paint match.

How much pesos?

Larry

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
"The exhaust pipes extending further from the body can reduce the chances of a fire. Don't laugh,, more than one GT has self ignited the stock rear bumper" -S.

I don't think anybody was laughing. We've all seen the pics.:ack

THAT turned out GREAT!!! 'Paint the puppies body color and they'd practically disappear when viewed from directly behind the car.

Thanks EP.. You've been around for a while.. We have lots of Newbies so that comment is for them.. :biggrin
Yes we will see what some body colored ones look like..:thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian we would appreciate if you could post pictures of them on the car.

Ahhhh .... Clinton see post #1 & # 3 .... :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Ahhhh .... Clinton see post #1 & # 3 .... :biggrin

Opps, I didn't page down, they look like another good choice for owners.

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Body Color a great idea, as I am imagining how good the prototypes would look on a black car! Dumb question....if you tap something backing up, you are going to destroy the exhaust before you anything else.......I guess that is a good thing???

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can Jake engrave "I love StormCat" on them? Looking very good buddy. You piqued my interest.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Can Jake engrave "I love StormCat" on them? Looking very good buddy. You piqued my interest.

How about on the left engrave, "RED is the fastest"
and on the right "and this proves it!"

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

For a price Jake will do anything !! :biggrin ... I'm confused and concerned.. Are you interested in me or the parts...:wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I like that, too. I also like "Bony was here."

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
How about on the left engrave, "RED is the fastest"
and on the right "and this proves it!"

good one... don't give Frank any ideas,,

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
Frank, your set is free if you let the guys on the forum decide what they say.
But you have to run em, no matter what they decide on. Anything goes!