What do you GT owners do for a Living?

Josiah

GT Owner's son
Sep 3, 2005
Let us know what you GT owners do for a living and what you net each year if not too interpersonal. Dad makes $87k/yr as a pilot for Delta Airlines and as he put it, breaks his wallet (car). I hope I am not being too intrusive with the questions, but if so just don't answer. Also, how did you get to be where you are today and what sort of schooling did you attend, and lastly, where do you live, I would like to understand how you folks are able to afford these things as I have hopes to one day as well. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Josiah said:
Let us know what you GT owners do for a living and what you net each year. I make $87k/yr as a pilot for Delta Airlines and this car is breaking my wallet :p I hope I am not being too intrusive with the questions, but if so just don't answer. Also, how did you get to be where you are today and what sort of schooling did you attend, and lastly, where do you live, my son would like to understand how people like us can afford these things as he hopes to one day as well. Thanks a lot.

Pretty personal stuff for a pubilc forum. Have your son PM me if he'd like.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
I don't have a GT yet, but hope to, (God willing).

Ever since I was a kid, I've always had an interest in mechanincal and electrical things, this ultimately led me to one of the highest paying jobs for a blue-collar average joe, being an elevator technician. That job got me a home, pool, and a Vette.

But when the Viper came out, it was too much of a stretch, so I started a business doing what I knew best, elevator installation and repair. Our union mechanics make about $85,000 a year, apprentices make about $60,000, and we have 12 guys in the field, and five non-union in the office. The business enabled me to get my dream car at the time, A Viper GTS, and after that was accomplished, the business continues to grow, and now better things are on the horizon, like the Ford GT. Don't know what we net yearly, sorry. It changes quite a bit depending on what jobs we have going on.

Vic, the "thousand-aire"

Last edited:

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
Self employed....... :biggrin

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 3

Josiah

GT Owner's son
Sep 3, 2005
Svt03Cobra said:
Self employed....... :biggrin
You have a personal message :D

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
Josiah said:
You have a personal message :D

Sent one back.....

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
Workin' folks--they may throw off the buyer profile some

Godo question. I have asked Ford for info on who bought Ford GTs and they claim there isn't any. There's no excuse for them not assembling some statistics for a buyer profile by now.

I predict it's something like:

1% high school graduate only
84% BA
13% BA and MA
1 % MA,BA MBA
1% Phd
Income: $145,000 husband
if they have a wife that works throw in $36K more
Home ownership: 85%
No. other cars: 4
Simultaneous Ford owners: 45%
Previous sports cars owned: Porsche, Ferrari, Viper
Car magazines they read: Car & Driver, Road & Track, Automobile, Motor Trend, CAR (UK)
Military background: 18% served 2 years more, 20% Reserve
Watch: chronometric, stainless steel bezel
Drink: wine, chardonney
Music: ? lost here
club membership: SAAC, sports car club in their area

The odd card in this is that Ford expected a certain amount of guys to come out of the woodwork who own small shops (like tool and die shops) who maybe never graduated high school, and never bought an expensive car beofre but have been waiting 25-40 years for a car like this to come again(since they missed the Cobras and Ford GTs the first time around). I knew guys like that in Detroit. In fact Dodge got a few parts made cheap for the Viper by playing ball with owners of small shops--if they gave Chrysler a good price on parts they could buy a Viper wholesale.
Those guys' stats run counter to all the above statistics but hey they have the bread and we all know cash talks and bullshit walks...

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
One more thing about demographics-
Like you said-
"Those guys' stats run counter to all the above statistics but hey they have the bread"
Car enthusiasts often spend a disproportionate amount of their income on cars....So many Joey-six-pack types will stretch to buy something that pleases them.

I liked that bit about the chrome bezel! LOL!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
what is this going to... !

Guys,
I can´t believe this! Must be a joke........ Why does MrPilot´s son not Google the guys on the forum, maybe that helps !

PS: I guess many of us are your guests in the first two rows behind the pilot... :biggrin

Mr Hard workin here...

slf

Josiah

GT Owner's son
Sep 3, 2005
SLF360 said:
Guys,
I can´t believe this! Must be a joke........ Why does MrPilot´s son not Google the guys on the forum, maybe that helps !

PS: I guess many of us are your guests in the first two rows behind the pilot... :biggrin

Mr Hard workin here...

slf
Hey there, Josiah here again. Picked up a fully loaded Lariat about a year ago, have been working on it ever since. Was just curious on various career paths to success, am still working there. Have my PPL (pilots lic.) now, plan to go into the AF commissioned in a few years after college. Cut me a little slack SLF.
6.jpg

7.jpg

14.jpg

index.jpg

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sure, Josh,
I think you find many entrepreneurs here that run successful businesses, some lawyers and doctors, corporate world managers probably only to a lesser degree, from what I have seen.
Congrats on the PPL ! Keep it safe in the air and on the street.

SLF

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Josh you will make it! High School education only here! Have been self employed since 19 now 47 started my own electric company in 1979 at age 20 and then made a career change because of the economy in 1990. Started new business 1990 and have been raising 4 kids with my wife since then. Oh by the way opened first business with only 800 dollars!
Current cars:
Ford GT
Porsche GT2
Porsche 550 Spyder
1966 Chevelle SS396 Convert
1967 L88 Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR1
1969 Hemi Road Runner
1970 Hemi Cuda
1968 Hemi Dart
Old School HarleyD

So stick to your dream and it will happen!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I'm a corporate guy, engaged in the rat race but paid fairly well. I believe it was Andy Rooney that said "if you're in the rat race, even if you win you're still a rat".

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Many owners are highly edumucated. Quite a few are college granulates but a surprising number have advanced degries.

You can easily tell this because many spell real good and talk fancy and such.

They are also real nice like to each other.

Lots of folks spent their first 30+ years of life in school and now want rewards. Others have taken huge risks and leaps of faith in the corporate world.

The group is older than I anticipated which is comforting; hard to talk to kids without wanting to scold them.

It is thankfully a conservative group, and owners do not encourage your marrying a tree or forbid you from making money.

This dovetails with why people bought their cars. For many, it is "well I can so why not." For others it appears to be a long held dream; often arising when they were young adults and saw the original.

I personally have no idea what I do, why I do it, or why I own the car. I am guessing that I do it well. The car was not inexpensive. But honestly, I just don't recall.

- doc

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
More advice for Josh, but no income statement

Eshrink, you crack me up: "The group is older than I anticipated which is comforting; hard to talk to kids without wanting to scold them." How true...and the older I get the more relevant that statement becomes. Maybe not scold, but to offer "feedback." And this is what I intend for Josh:

Josh, Eshrink gave me good advice before I bought my FGT. I am at the perimeter of this group; at least it would appear so, in terms of income. Since this is the case, he said don't let the car become a shrine, having more value than family or success in one's career. In other words, don't put it above the truly important things in one's life. I don't think I did, but it's probably close. But I am fairly conservative, and spending this much cash on a depreciating asset (this has been debated and will continue to be) doesn't make financial sense. So, it's something more. But back to your questions. Having said all that, I think you are asking the right group for advice on how to get to where you want to be. From my perspective, I have seen a lot of intelligent folks in the university (I am as you may deduce, associated with a university, as a college administrator - with a certain image to secure) who don't appear to have a brain, and don't make a lot of money either. I have seen a lot of folks outside the university with a lot of money, who also are very intelligent, but appear to have a brain. I think the happy ones come to a point in their lives and they focus, and never take their eyes off that focal vision they intend to achieve. They see it, like it, become good at it, and before they know it, they are fifty years old and have made it happen and they haven't really looked up for a while. And when they do, well, they take a break and maybe, just maybe, they buy something like a, well you know, a Ford GT. Or they may decide to get a trophy wife, or husband, instead of a trophy car. Who knows? Certainly no condemnation, just an observation about a few folks I have seen. Maybe isolated cases, but I am mentioning it in an attempt to seek clarity for your consideration.

How much this group makes and what it does will not be revealed to you. It will however offer you advice, which you should listen to, and solace if you should need it. And maybe help if you are trying for the USAF. Are you going the Academy, OTS, or AFROTC route? I am a former USAF aviator, and can offer advice. If you would like, you may email me. I wish you luck flight planning your life. At least you are charting. Most just go where the current takes them and aren't happy with their ultimate destination.

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Roger:

he said don't let the car become a shrine, having more value than family or success in one's career. In other words, don't put it above the truly important things in one's life.

That is the most cogent point. When a hobby becomes an obsession and then valued beyond the creator of the object, you merely are a pawn within your own disordered thinking and the designers financial scheme.

It is just a car. It is no more than that. It is also a depreciating (for now and perhaps continuing) asset. It takes quite a bit of self-indulgence to toss about such money in a cavalier fashion.

There are a variety of reasons (not mutually exclusive) why people do so:
a. I can do it painlessly so why not.
b. I am owed this object because I must be rewarded for going to school and/or working for so many years.
c. It is the most important thing in the world and has become my identity and the thing for which I shall forever be known and remembered
d. My pee-pee is quite tiny; this may help...I hope

We always hope that by the time a kid is 25 that he/she has his/her priorities straight, and perhaps the lesson that must be passed on is that "never value some possession more than you do the true legacy that you leave behind."

My ten year old said an interesting thing (within earshot) in response to a friend saying "Your dad must really love his GT." My son replied "Not at all...he likes the GT...but he loves me."

- doc

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Josh, I'm 33 year old Bail Bondsman. What can I say.... Crime Pays. And if you get caught, call me!

As for income and such, that may be inappropriate to discuss here. I did graduate with a BA in Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management. I basically spent 4 years learning how to spell Entrepreneurship. Cool uh?

If you want something all you have to do is set goals and map out a plan to get to them. It will happen if you stick to your plan.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Full time playa, part time pimp! :wink
As eshrink pointed out, a lot of the guys with GT's are in the older group. I am one of the few in the younger group. I'm in my early 30's, self made, and a real car guy.

Started my own company less than 7 years ago, from my garage, with less than $2K. We are now considered one of the top companies in our sector. A lot of hard work, working 18 hour days was the norm for me.

There are some real successful people on this board, but I highly doubt they would address a public forum with the info you are seeking. If you are brave, you can try posting that on Fchat :biggrin :wink .
It would be amusing to hear the responses. I know it wouldn't be pretty. :lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
eshrink said:
Roger:

he said don't let the car become a shrine, having more value than family or success in one's career. In other words, don't put it above the truly important things in one's life.

That is the most cogent point. When a hobby becomes an obsession and then valued beyond the creator of the object, you merely are a pawn within your own disordered thinking and the designers financial scheme.

It is just a car. It is no more than that. It is also a depreciating (for now and perhaps continuing) asset. It takes quite a bit of self-indulgence to toss about such money in a cavalier fashion.

There are a variety of reasons (not mutually exclusive) why people do so:
a. I can do it painlessly so why not.
b. I am owed this object because I must be rewarded for going to school and/or working for so many years.
c. It is the most important thing in the world and has become my identity and the thing for which I shall forever be known and remembered
d. My pee-pee is quite tiny; this may help...I hope

We always hope that by the time a kid is 25 that he/she has his/her priorities straight, and perhaps the lesson that must be passed on is that "never value some possession more than you do the true legacy that you leave behind."

My ten year old said an interesting thing (within earshot) in response to a friend saying "Your dad must really love his GT." My son replied "Not at all...he likes the GT...but he loves me."

- doc

e. Hot young chicks may not notice my bald spot if I sport enough gold and drive this car.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Steve,
So how's it working so far? :biggrin