Le Mans 2016 - June 18th and 19th, 2016

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
As June gets closer we are trying to decide on how long to stay since this will probably be our first and last trip to France. Thinking about arriving a few days early and staying a day or two after the race. Any suggestions or opportunities would be appreciated.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Still in for a room with GT group for the event. Thanks. Bruce

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
As June gets closer we are trying to decide on how long to stay since this will probably be our first and last trip to France. Thinking about arriving a few days early and staying a day or two after the race. Any suggestions or opportunities would be appreciated.

My wife and I are in the same boat. Obviously many options but we narrowed it down to three:

1. Fly into Paris and then taking the train down to southern France (about 8 hours) for a few days, do Le Mans and then stay in Paris for 2-3 days before going home.

2. Fly into Paris and then take the train to Strassbourg in Alsace, do that area for a couple days and then rent a car and go down to Beaunne for a couple days and then to Le Mans. Beautiful wine country to be seen here.

3. Fly into Munich, rent a car and do Austria (Innsbruck), Italy (Como area), Switzerland (Zermatt), go to Le Mans and then to Paris for 2-3 nights and then fly out of Paris to go home.

We are leaning towards #2

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
when thinking about it, consider that there are many scenic mountain passes to be explored by car at Option 3. Need an appetizer ? Buy this http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Drive-Pässe-Tagen-Passes/dp/3667102895

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
To :
GKW05GT.
NAFOD.
BAT.

Of course, I will be with the group of GT owners, during the 24 heures race.
So, I will be happy to welcome, and to help you, if necessary.

On the subject of your trip :

1 / The visit of Strasbourg and Alsace is a great idea. The landscape and the Architecture of timber-framed houses, are totally different from what exists in the USA. The food is excellent, although very very heavy. You can also visit one of the largest automobile museums in the world (the Schlumpf collection) in Mulhouse.

2 / The visit of Burgundy is also a highlight, with Dijon and Beaune. The Architecture of stone and the roofs with colored tiles, is remarkable. The small roads are winding through landscape full of sweetness, and the most famous vineyards of the world, that you can visit and where you can do tastings. The restaurants are among the finest in France.

3 / A one hour south of Le Mans, it would be a shame not to visit the famous area of ​​the «*Chateaux de la Loire*», where lived the kings of France in the 15th and 16th centuries. You can visit two unique castles in the world (Chambord and Chenonceau), and a remarkable garden «*A la Française*» (Villandry).

- 4 / To the south-east of France, the coast (Cote d'Azur), is a beautiful setting, but rather for a life of luxury, beach and relaxation.
The hinterland, very wild, corresponds to a different spirit that I personally love.
You can visit the "Luberon" region full of extraordinary hilltop villages and the beautifulest "Romanes Cisterciennes abbeys*» in the world.
The "Gorges du Verdon" is the most fantastic canyon in Europe.

Attention to the option Innsbruck / Como / Zermatt. The lake of Como and its islands deserve the trip, but for everything else, it's a very long road, and landscapes that are almost always the same. If you need «*mountain*», however it's perfect, but it is very monotonous, and that's a reduced vision of Europe.

Feel free to ask me for advice if you consider it useful.

Best regards from France.

Francis (Saint Ho).

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
We are going to Lake Como for a week or so after the races. Have relatives nearby in Switzerland we will be visiting. Villa d'Este here we come!

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Try not to forget going past Caen to visit the Normandy Beaches - it is a very moving experience. Try to visit both the Visitor's Center and the American Cemetery and Memorial, along with the beach fronts. It takes a full day.

View attachment 41548

View attachment 41544

View attachment 41545

View attachment 41546

View attachment 41547

Last edited:

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Can't wait meeting with our travel agent tomorrow. Coming home right after Le Mans so probably doing sight seeing before.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
I booked my flight and bought my general admission and grandstand seating! Can't wait!

I don't have the means to get in on the VIP stuff that you all are doing, but I'd still love to meet up and hang out with some Ford fans at the track, if any of you are interested. My fiancee will be working at the race, so I'll be on my own the whole time.

I went in 2014 and the race is just amazing. So far beyond anything we have here as far as the number of people attending and the passion of the fans.

Just a word of advice for any of you going - not sure if you guys have access to some VIP grandstand through your GT package for the race, but if not, I would highly recommend purchasing a specific grandstand seat for the race. There are grandstands all throughout the Bugatti portion of the circuit, but they have security guards at every one and will NOT allow anyone onto them unless they have the correct ticket - even in the middle of the night when no one is there. Last time I went, I had a hard time finding a place to sit/lay down (as I stayed all night), until I lucked out and found a grandstand that was missing its security guard. Just something to think about for those of you looking to have the total 24 Hour experience.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The GT owner trackside suite has outdoor patio seating, indoor couches, high top tables, etc. Pit garage suite also has seating and overlooks the start/finish. The suite is at raccordement is directly next to the circuit fence so grandstand seating is unnecessary.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
DBK... what is the count of GTForum member attending the race? Also, what is the best way to get from the place we are staying to the race and back?

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
The GT owner trackside suite has outdoor patio seating, indoor couches, high top tables, etc. Pit garage suite also has seating and overlooks the start/finish. The suite is at raccordement is directly next to the circuit fence so grandstand seating is unnecessary.

Gotcha. That will be nice.

But if any of you wish to sit in any of the other grandstands around the circuit, you will need the proper ticket for it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
DBK... what is the count of GTForum member attending the race? Also, what is the best way to get from the place we are staying to the race and back?

A bunch!

423fb91950e0608bd9213a179a59af59.jpg

I believe almost everyone at the golf resort (which is around 50 people) knows each other so a mix of rental cars and shuttle. Once the schedule is finalized we can arrange transport if people wish to share.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Anyone staying at the golf course made plans on arrival and departure yet? Not sure what I want to do before and after the race but want to arrive at least a couple days early to get acclimated.
gkwpnut@aol.com

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
We depart California on the 15th but not sure yet on our arrival time in Le Mans yet. Still working on final flight plans.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Will there be parking reserved for those driving back and forth to the track( rental car not a GT unfortunately!)

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
A bunch!

I believe almost everyone at the golf resort (which is around 50 people) knows each other so a mix of rental cars and shuttle. Once the schedule is finalized we can arrange transport if people wish to share.

Any extra rooms at the golf Resort?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Also, what is the best way to get from the place we are staying to the race and back?

Scooters & bicycles seem to be the way people get around in France. You can rent them!

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Scooters & bicycles seem to be the way people get around in France. You can rent them!

Ed

The resort is a long way from the track but he can bring that electric bike that he is so proud of.. That should speed up his commute .:biggrin

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
The resort is a long way from the track but he can bring that electric bike that he is so proud of.. That should speed up his commute .:biggrin

Funny... I told my wife I was going to do that last night :rofl:willy