Your Opinion - Is it a GT40?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I describe mine as the Ford GT - there's rarely any further explanation required. I think of it as the 'new' GT40.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck - it's generally a duck. The DNA is pure 40. Put a GT40 and a GT alongside each other - almost identical.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
AZGT said:
Curious as to opinions on this one.

I know that the car is a "modern interpretation" of the GT40 according to Ford. I also know that their early information called it a GT40 and I think they were going to name it that until the problems with the name rights arose.

My question is this. I recently received my personalized plate with reference to the GT40. Am I accurate, or am I a wanna be? I see that when Ford called the latest Thunderbird a Thunderbird, it was. They are calling the new Shelby a Shelby, therefore it is. But they called the new GT40 a GT, so is it a GT40 or not? I know there are some opinions involved here (which I would like to hear), but are there any facts? Does Ford still refer to it as a GT40 anywhere, or just a GT (wow - "just a GT" - strange statement).

Hey Bill Ford, if you are out there, what is it?

What do you all think? Please put my mind at ease or tell me if I need to admit I'm a poseur.

:confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

the old GT-40 was called that because the car was 40 inches tall. the new GT should have been called a GT-44 because its 44 inches tall. when i buy a GT my liscense plate will say GT-44.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Fast Freddy said:
The old GT-40 was called that because the car was 40 inches tall. the new GT should have been called a GT-44 because its 44 inches tall. When I buy a GT my license plate will say GT-44.

GT44 would also have been a good choice. I don't know why Ford did not come up with another option except that GT matched the original name.

The more I think about it, I'm still liking GT100.

A little disappointing news for you, GT44 is already taken in AZ. :frown

driven

Oct 4, 2005
Gt40

Shortly after the prototype was shown (and before the trouble with Safir), Ford Motorsports sold "GT40" merchandise. My wife bought me a couple of caps and a shirt or two for Christmas that year. I guess they are probably "collector's items" now--just like my 1966 GT40.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
driven said:
Shortly after the prototype was shown (and before the trouble with Safir), Ford Motorsports sold "GT40" merchandise. My wife bought me a couple of caps and a shirt or two for Christmas that year. I guess they are probably "collector's items" now--just like my 1966 GT40.

So do original GT40 people consider the new one also a GT40?

Have you had the opportunity to drive a GT? If so, how do they compare?

driven

Oct 4, 2005
I don't know about other owners, But it would be hard to argue:If Ford says it is: It is. I think the new car is faithful enough to the concept of the originals to be considered a successor in more than just name. I don't think I've ever really heard Ferrari owners complain when the newer cars (TR, GTO, etc). were introduced carrying iconic names from the past.
I've sat in a new one, but haven't yet had the opportunity to drive one.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
There is another forum that is for GT40's and replicas mostly and they were ALWAYS correcting anyone if they refured to a GT as a GT40. The people who own multi-million dollar originals I can see there point, if I agree or not.

Neilda, with all the hoopla over the new "Ford Mustang GT's" many do think it's a Mustang.
The conversation usually goes something like this:
Friend: Are you going to take the GT out tomorrow?
Me: I think so, it's going to be another sunny So. California day" (that was for you eastern US and Euro cats)
Waitress: "Oh, do you have one of those new GT's"?
Me: "Yes"
Waitress: "Do you like it"?
Me: "Yes, it's a real kick in the pants to drive"
Waitress: Yeah I know, the new Mustangs are cool. My boyfriends mom has one and we take it out on friday nights"
Friend: "Those are cool, but he has a Ford Gt not a Mustang GT"
Waitress: "That is the one with the big motor right? His moms has the small motor but when he removes the air cleaner thinggy it sounds like yours does"
Me: Uhh... well... mine is like the one in the TV commercial driving infront of the Mustangs, it looks like the 60's race car"
Waitress: (blank stare)
Friend: You know it has the motor in rear, big tires, spoiler and is real low to the ground"
Waitress (blank stare)........oh yeah, one of the guys in the Stang club has spoiler things all over his Mustang, so is that what makes yours a GT"?
Friend: "Why yes, steve likes to bolt stuff all overs his car too" (while trying not to smirk)
Waitress: "Thats cool, why don't you come to the next Stang Club meeting and you can get some more cool Ideas, it's every friday night"
Friend: "cool we will be there"!
Me: "cool"

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Its a "GT40" PERIOD!!!! It looks just like the original it was designed to be the new GT40 and Ford would have called it that except for some Greedy Assholes. GT44 doesn't get it I refer to the car as the "GT" except when theres a question as to if its a Mustang GT or a GT40 Then I add the "40".

team360

Feb 13, 2006
West Hills
My new car is on its way and I cant wait. I have decided to call my car the GT40 because thats what it should be called. There is no doubt that 90% of the population thinks fordgt is a mustang. I know because I have been asking different people. I have already ordered my plate. ( 06 GT40 )

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
This is interesting. Holman - Moody are building "continuation" GT40 Mark IIs.

http://www.holmanmoody.com/gt40/gt40home.htm

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You know, my insurance company will only list it as a Ford GT. Call it what you want, but state registration and insurance consider it a Ford GT only.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
My Ford GT40.....!!

team360 said:
My new car is on its way and I cant wait. I have decided to call my car the GT40 because thats what it should be called. There is no doubt that 90% of the population thinks fordgt is a mustang. I know because I have been asking different people. I have already ordered my plate. ( 06 GT40 )
I agree with most.... you almost have to refer to your car as a Ford GT40 otherwise people do think it's a Mustang GT. If you say I have a Ford GT, they say "Oh... you mean a Mustang GT, huh?" No, I say a Ford GT40 and then they fully understand and say "Are you kiddin? with a big smile on their face! But sometimes it's fun to play like a fox when you got some smartass that's bragging about his car or cars and then I say I got a Ford... a GT..... and he thinks 'So what, the jerk's got a Mustang.' And then I continue to explain in a coy way what it really is and he kinda fades off into the sunset! It's neat to play 'Dirty Harry' in your mind thinking 'Go ahead punk..... make my day!' :smash

Attachments

• Ford GT rear shot 97kb.jpg
    Ford GT rear shot 97kb.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 223

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Magwheel

Quite a collection you have.

How does the GT compare?

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I've officially begun to refer to mine as a GT44.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
How does the GT compare?

AZGT said:
Magwheel

Quite a collection you have.

How does the GT compare?

If you don't mind, please visit this web forum site and you'll find a did a review of each car along with pictures. Hope you enjoy the reviews. Michael
:wink

http://www.jabbasworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=37585

Pipelion

BigsGT,

One of 101 has lowered his GT an inch+, he may have to call his a GT43.

Allan

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
magwheel said:
If you don't mind, please visit this web forum site and you'll find a did a review of each car along with pictures. Hope you enjoy the reviews. Michael[/FONT] :wink

http://www.jabbasworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=37585

Actually, I have already read that - thanks for sending me back there.

Enjoy.

redwhitestripes

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
DUBAI UAE
You have probably seen it before but this is what I get from the local traffic department(second line),even the local Ford dealer was surprised.

Attachments

• GT#.jpg
    GT#.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 208

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gt40

SteveA said:
There is another forum that is for GT40's and replicas mostly and they were ALWAYS correcting anyone if they refured to a GT as a GT40. The people who own multi-million dollar originals I can see there point, if I agree or not.

It's interesting that on that site 99% of the cars are Kit Car replicas or Safire's or whatever. They are not Ford's and they are not GT40's in the true sense. The Safire was not a Ford GT40, it was close but no cigar. Safire acquired the name but that's a mere technicality. If I acquired the copyright to the name "P-51" in aircraft manufacturing, that would not make my kit planes "real" P-51's. In the Kit Aircraft business there are several copies of the P-51 Mustang, but they are not Mustangs. Only North American Aviation (now Rockwell International) can build or direct the building of a real P-51 Mustang. If Rockwell announced that next year they would start manufacture of new updated P-51's with better handling, more power, nicer cockpit, updated avionics, and more speed along with the same classic P-51D shape, they would be "real" P-51's. AND, I would be first in line to buy one. Ford has decided to build a new GT40. It is not a "wannabe". It has more power, better handling, nicer cockpit, more speed, a hand built Ford V-8, and the same classic shape. ONLY Ford could build it and they did. Damn right it's a real GT40!! :thumbsup And one of 'em is in my garage. :banana

The car was originally called the Ford GT by Ford but because the GT badge is used by so many different auto companies on so many different cars (to this day) it created confusion. Using the roof height after the GT created a distinctive name to clear up that confusion. In 1967 the new Mark IV's were only 38.5 inches tall but everyone still called them GT40's as by that time the name had a brand of it's own, like "Mustang". The name no longer refered to roof height, GT40 was Ford's mid-engined, two seat, supercar, then and now. :cheers

Chip

Last edited:

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
ChipBeck said:
SteveA said:

It's interesting that on that site 99% of the cars are Kit Car replicas or Safire's or whatever. They are not Ford's and they are not GT40's in the true sense. The Safire was not a Ford GT40, it was close but no cigar. Safire acquired the name but that's a mere technecality. If I acquired the copyright to the name "P-51" in aircraft manufacturing, that would not make my kit planes "real" P-51's. In the Kit Aircraft business there are several copies of the P-51 Mustang, but they are not Mustangs. Only North American Aviation (now Rockwell International) can build or direct the building of a real P-51 Mustang. If Rockwell announced that next year they would start manufacture of new updated P-51's with better handeling, more power, nicer cockpit, updated avionics, and more speed along with the same classic P-51D shape, they would be "real" P-51's. AND, I would be first in line to buy one. Ford has decided to build a new GT40. It is not a "wannabe". It has more power, better handeling, nicer cockpit, more speed, a hand built Ford V-8, and the same classic shape. ONLY Ford could build it and they did. Damn right it's a real GT40!! :thumbsup And one of 'em is in my garage. :banana

The car was originally called the Ford GT by Ford but because the GT badge is used by so many different auto companies on so many different cars (to this day) it created confusion. Using the roof height after the GT created a distinctive name to clear up that confusion. In 1967 the new Mark IV's were only 38.5 inches tall but everyone still called them GT40's as by that time the name had a brand of it's own, like "Mustang". The name no longer refered to roof height, GT40 was Ford's mid-engined, two seat, supercar, then and now. :cheers

Chip

Ya thats right!! what he said!!!!! :banana :banana :banana