Your Advice - 2005 Laded?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the replies.

Gents,

Thank you for your insights. It reinforces what I had previously read about the Z8. I had no illusions as to the track abilities of the Z8.

If the GT was within my current budget, there would be no doubt as to which one I would buy. With the Z8 values holding steady, I think it will be a great car to drive and enjoy while I patiently wait to see if GT prices ever drop below $120K.

Thanks again. Please keep posting. The rest of us patient (long-term) waiters will need to live vicariously through your GT ownership.

Best Regards,
waldo

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
centerpunch said:
Ford released December sales today (http://media.ford.com/pdf/December2005sales.pdf), sold 208 GTs. They sold 1302 total in 2005 and 144 in 2004, for total sales to date of 1446 GTs.

Automotive News reports total production of 1890 in 2005 and 547 in 2004 (http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA40311222.PDF), so total produced is 2437 GTs.

The difference is about 1000 built-but-not-sold cars, and this number has been relatively steady for several months. I think they plan to produce through August, probably another 1500+ cars, so I don't think the prices are going to go up.

And if you look at the ebay listings, there are no shortage of Tungsten and Heritage cars, so I expect those to quickly drop to sticker or less.

Of course, I could be wrong....

.... you haven't been so far, I wish I would have paid more attention to you, but meanwhile I have had the car to play with.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have the same concerns. How do you know if the dealer is going to come through with the deal. I sounds like the dealer you have an agreement and the dealer is hoping to get a GT allocation that he will then sell to you. You should have a production number by now. I am deciding now between buying one off the lot or ordering one to my specs. But how will I really know if the car can be ordered by the dealer and that the dealer will honor the agreement.

BlackICE

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Centerpunch - I'm in exactly the same boat.

As it now stands with my dealer I'm not 100% positive that I'm going to get the car that I ordered (with a sizeable deposit) several months ago.

Seeing one come up on ebay, to the exact same spec, only to have to let it pass is painful to say the least.

I understand Ford needed to manage the distribution of the cars, but as a consumer trying to order a car to spec it really really sucks.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It seems that the dealers are not being truthfull when taking the orders. They are just hoping the get an allocation or later just tell you sorry I couldn't get the car here is you deposit back. How can you tell for sure the dealer has a allocation when they take your order?

VIN1591

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2005
Easton, MA
If the dealer has an allocation, they should have a letter from Ford stating such. Ask to see the letter!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
VIN1591 said:
If the dealer has an allocation, they should have a letter from Ford stating such. Ask to see the letter!

Your 100% spot on!! I got a copy of this letter as part of my contract package.
I then went to the Blue Oval forum after I got the VIN number to ask the insiders at FOMOCO when the car was scheduled to be built. But you need a VIN and the dealer has to have an allocation, otherwise you are spinning you wheels.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
centerpunch said:
And I'm sitting here with a car on order for 16 weeks, still "unscheduled", no VIN number, and very seriously considering forgetting the whole thing!

It's hard to stay excited about any car for four years!

Centerpunch,

Stay the course, bro, as I know you will. It is a grind, though, isn't it, if you want a reasonably priced car spec'd the way you want it! I have a black car on order similar to your blue one, no options other than stripe delete. And I've been reading, watching, learning, planning, waiting, and enduring Ford dealerships' stupidity during the past few years as well. My car is supposed to arrive sometime in March, I'm hopeful and optimistic.

I only recently registered on this site but have been reading and learning here as well as on your site since early summer last year. Many, many thanks to you and DBK for developing and maintaining these sites. And many thanks to barond, neilda, and many, many others for passing on your experiences and information! I look forward to joining the owners club and sharing whatever I can.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
StuM said:
I've been looking at GT's for several months now, to add to my Z8 and '65 427 Cobra. ...
StuM

StuM, drive4fun,

Since you are both Z8 owners, you may want to take a look at these threads warning about possible Z8 aluminum frame damage.

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=400

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=404

Best of luck,
waldo

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Waldo said:
StuM, drive4fun,

Since you are both Z8 owners, you may want to take a look at these threads warning about possible Z8 aluminum frame damage.

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=400

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=404

Best of luck,
waldo

Wow. Not good. I need to run out and take a look at mine...

Whew, I'm OK.

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Totally relating to your situation Centerpunch. In the three-and-a-half years between calling my Ford contacts and getting my car I had numerous "moments of doubt" regarding the justification for waiting (and paying!) for a car like the GT.

I can only say that I'm glad I waited. I was just at the Detroit Show last week, and as I sat in the Cobo Arena during the Ford press conference I suddenly had a very clear image of the same room, four years ago when that yellow Ford GT40 concept came roaring onto the stage and I said, "If they build it I will have to own one." Now it doesn't seem that long ago and there's one in my garage.

Dealing with the delays is a pain (remember, I was on the "preferred" buyers list and I still didn't get mine until last August while watching everyone from Jay Leno to Sammy Hagar get theirs first!), but now I'm thrilled that I stayed the course.

Best of luck! :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ENZO BTR said:
Totally relating to your situation Centerpunch. In the three-and-a-half years between calling my Ford contacts and getting my car I had numerous "moments of doubt" regarding the justification for waiting (and paying!) for a car like the GT.

I can only say that I'm glad I waited. I was just at the Detroit Show last week, and as I sat in the Cobo Arena during the Ford press conference I suddenly had a very clear image of the same room, four years ago when that yellow Ford GT40 concept came roaring onto the stage and I said, "If they build it I will have to own one." Now it doesn't seem that long ago and there's one in my garage.

Dealing with the delays is a pain (remember, I was on the "preferred" buyers list and I still didn't get mine until last August while watching everyone from Jay Leno to Sammy Hagar get theirs first!), but now I'm thrilled that I stayed the course.

Best of luck! :thumbsup

In my case I had a copy of the dealer's letter from Ford stating they would get a GT as a result of the President's award...
Made me feel better that the dealer was qualified to close the sale and could perform...
The dealer principal explained that when he get his regular allocation he would be able to spec the car out to my exact demands. I waited for months...
Then, I got a call to spec the car out and did so and waited for months, I had a vin number...
One morning I got a call from the dealer, the GT showed up at the dealer's store with no notice, weeks earlier than the folks over at the Blue Oval forum indicated. The dealer had no influence over the production date.

Another point, most of the dealers got the car because they are President Club members, a few got cars in a drawing at a meeting. This means they are Fords best customer. For those folks that expect Ford to beat up their GT dealer, I wonder if they would beat up their best customers?? :banana

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Z8 - Thanks Waldo

Just got back from Hawaii, so catching up on the latest GT news.
Waldo- thanks for the Z8 info. MacFly is THE MAN when it comes to Z8's and I often read his posts on various forums. I checked mine and it looks good for now. My son is a BMW Mstr Tech, so I will ask him about this "from the inside". My local BMW shop foreman is also a real Z8 lover and solid guy, so I will have to probe him as well.
Now that I'm back home, I will begin re-checking my local Ford dealers regarding their GT's and see what's still available and what has newly arrived.
:thumbsup

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
bony said:
In my case I had a copy of the dealer's letter from Ford stating they would get a GT as a result of the President's award...
Made me feel better that the dealer was qualified to close the sale and could perform...
The dealer principal explained that when he get his regular allocation he would be able to spec the car out to my exact demands. I waited for months...
Then, I got a call to spec the car out and did so and waited for months, I had a vin number...
One morning I got a call from the dealer, the GT showed up at the dealer's store with no notice, weeks earlier than the folks over at the Blue Oval forum indicated. The dealer had no influence over the production date.

Another point, most of the dealers got the car because they are President Club members, a few got cars in a drawing at a meeting. This means they are Fords best customer. For those folks that expect Ford to beat up their GT dealer, I wonder if they would beat up their best customers?? :banana

These points are pretty accurate. 2005 we recieved a letter of allocation for 2006 we didn't recieve anything in print but were told "verbal" we would recieve allocation. And we did. So if your dealer can't show you some letter from Ford dont give up hope.
It's a complicated process made more difficult by lack of info. The difference between really early allocation and at the end of the run meant market pricing was impossible to predict. We priced ours when we recieved allocation and I think that is the "smoothest way" But all makes have these problems. The stuff that comes from Japan is allocated after it hits the shore of the USA for many models and makes. And if they only offer blue thats what you take!! Overall the Gt has been distributed amazingly well for a brand and dealers that are use to high volumes and discounting mentality.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
StuM said:
Waldo- thanks for the Z8 info. MacFly is THE MAN when it comes to Z8's and I often read his posts on various forums. I checked mine and it looks good for now. My son is a BMW Mstr Tech, so I will ask him about this "from the inside". My local BMW shop foreman is also a real Z8 lover and solid guy, so I will have to probe him as well.

StuM,

It's good to hear that your Z8 is ok. I will eagerly await any "inside information" from your connections. I will be delaying my Z8 purchase until I am confident that BMW can and will address the problem. Maybe I should take this as a sign from the almighty to completely forgo the Z8 and just continue to save my pennies until I can swing the GT

Sorry to hijack your thread once again. Good luck on the search for a GT.

Regards,
waldo
(aka nitmr26)